Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Axis 24.1 dash A/C

At the Ford dealer and so far they are showing no power to the compressor.

Guess what...that's a Thor dealer problem and Fords. I read the Ford notice on this for E series 2000 thru 2016 model years of the stripped chassis.

When we had it at the Thor dealer wonder if the checked for power at the compressor. Guess not.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

State: New York
THOR #3192
Mine did not work too. The reason was Thor forgot to put freeon in the AC unit. It cost me 500 dollars for Ford to tell me this. Still waiting for my refund from Thor.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Interesting that Ford would even look at it. I thought that the whole A/C unit was after market and the chassis came with no A/C. Does the chassis come with an A/C compressor or is the compressor Ford's? Will they tell you how the system breaks down into Ford and Thor components? Would be good to know if you have an A/C issue. Hope they find the fix for you.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #4

State: New York
THOR #3192
I was referring to the the AC connected to the ford engine.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

THOR #1765
So was I. When I took my 2014 Axis into a Ford dealer, they told me that the whole A/C system was after market purchased and installed by Thor. Unlike the E-350 Class C chassis where the A/C is part of the truck, I was told that the motorhome Class A E-350 chassis came without A/C.

In the Ford A/C system, the temperature control is a thermostat which turns the compressor on and off depending upon the temperature. In the Vegas/Axis the A/C knob is nothing more than an air diverter. The compressor stays on all the time and the A/C knob is an air mixer which adds hot air from outside if the cooling from the A/C is too cold. I could not understand why turning my hot/cold knob in my Veags never turned the compressor off. I thought it was broken. It apparently was not. It is not a thermostat. At least that was what I was told.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

THOR #4366
Ours is part Ford and part Evans installed by Thor. By noon time on the day of my OP Ford had chased it down to no power at the clutch. Ground was good, Freon was good and there was power through the pressure switch. After calls to Thor and between Thor and Ken Wilson Ford of Canton NC we had cold dash A/C by 3 pm. A wire was missing between the pressure switch and the clutch on the compressor. Thor gave the Ford people suggestions and sent up to date wiring.
Our out of pocket was an over night at the KOA.

This is the second wiring issue I think reported on these forums.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

THOR #1765
Wow.. What year is your Axis? I assume it is a 2016 or you would have noticed it sooner. So the compressor is Fords which proves the cooling and the transfer of the cooling to the coach is Thor's? That make sense - although it was not what I was told by a Ford dealer in Maine about my 2014. Did you get any other info on the Evans part of the cooling system? Was I told correctly that the hot/cold switch on the dash is not hooked to the compressor and the the compressor does not turn off and on?

Getting straight answers on these hybrid Ford/Thor systems is next to impossible. And they seem to change year by year.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:19 AM   #8

THOR #4366
The Ford dealership gave us a copy of the drawings. There is a button on the 2016 that has a snow flake on it. That turns the A/C on and off. When we picked the coach up the 23 rd of May it was cool enough in the NC mountains to not need to run the A/C.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:48 AM   #9

THOR #1765
Right. The snowflake turns the compressor on and off, but unlike most A/C systems, the temperature dial does not. It just adjusts the mix of cold and hot air. 20 yeas ago, if you turned your car A/C on max cool and left it there, it would freeze up. The A/C in the Thor only runs on high.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #10

State: Colorado
THOR #4179
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
At the Ford dealer and so far they are showing no power to the compressor.

Guess what...that's a Thor dealer problem and Fords. I read the Ford notice on this for E series 2000 thru 2016 model years of the stripped chassis.

When we had it at the Thor dealer wonder if the checked for power at the compressor. Guess not.
My 2015, Vegas' dashboard fan speed does not change regardless of which fan speed I turn it to. Any thoughts or suggestions? The nearest CW dealorships are well beyond 250 miles, so with the associated mileage and hotel costs I'm thinking it is more cost effective to simply have the local Ford dealership do any needed repairs.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by UX108 View Post
My 2015, Vegas' dashboard fan speed does not change regardless of which fan speed I turn it to. Any thoughts or suggestions? The nearest CW dealorships are well beyond 250 miles, so with the associated mileage and hotel costs I'm thinking it is more cost effective to simply have the local Ford dealership do any needed repairs.
My Axis was like that and was found during the PDI. The technician found some wires weren't connected on the fan speed control. Think he said only 3 of the 4 wires were connected. Might be a place to start looking.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #12

THOR #1765
Also several people have reported that the cheap plastic knobs that Thor uses on the A/C have stripped or broken inside and no longer worked. You might check that out too.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Also several people have reported that the cheap plastic knobs that Thor uses on the A/C have stripped or broken inside and no longer worked. You might check that out too.
Exactly...We found all of our knob stems broken...luckily, the pieces were in place...a little super glue and a bit of time and they were repaired and we did not have to deal with Thor sending us 4 knobs out of the same bin ours, probably, came from. We have had no issues with the a/c since repairing the knobs.

Reminder...if your knobs are faulty..they definately will not adjust the temp,
fan speed etc....nada !! nothing !! We were so happy to find all the knobs faulty...as we might have thought that the a/c was not cooling properly and a mechanical problem was to blame, if we had not began checking while driving down the road.

I am hoping that this simple problem is what others are experiencing.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Air Conditioning - Dash

Our 2017 Vegas 24.1 will be going in on Monday as there is a recall on the dash air conditioning. The temperature knob will allow us to go from heat to warm and vice versa, but does not blow cold air. I'm not sure which part is being repaired, but I will find out after the dealer has fixed it.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd View Post
Our 2017 Vegas 24.1 will be going in on Monday as there is a recall on the dash air conditioning. The temperature knob will allow us to go from heat to warm and vice versa, but does not blow cold air. I'm not sure which part is being repaired, but I will find out after the dealer has fixed it.
Good to know ! Let us know what you learn !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #16

THOR #1765
Quote:
Going into Thor or Ford? Did you get a recall notice from either Thor or Ford for the A/C or did someone tell you there was a recall when you had a problem? This is the first I have heard on a recall for A/C issues...
Old 08-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Dash Air

Quote:
It looks like I was misinformed by the tech. I was told several wires hadn't been hooked up for the dash air. Works great now!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #4067
Have had the same issues with my unit blowing hot air every time i stop. CW(CRAPPY WORLD) said they removed 2lbs and refilled system. I have ocean front property in arizona for sale too. Those numb chucks are useles. Will have to call Thor ,who have been great, to make arrangements to take it elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #19

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #7058
Same 2017 thor vegas dash ac problem

Quote:
It looks like I was misinformed by the tech. I was told several wires hadn't been hooked up for the dash air. Works great now!
My new vegas has been at the local Ford repair shop for almost a week. So far they have added a low pressure switch but still no cold air from the dash ac. Can you tell me exactly how you remedied your problem so I can shate with the Thor dealer and Ford.

thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #20

THOR #4366
For us the missing wire was between the pressure switch and the compressor.
Took the Ford dealer about 2 hours to trouble shoot and verify. Then a couple more hours to get Thor ok and do a permanent repair.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote