Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #4745
Furnace shut off, not working

Hoping to get some help with a furnace issue. I read previous forums on this. We started with a similar issue where the fan would kick in when you turn the heater on, you could hear it try to get the heat going but then shut off after attempting 3 times. 2016 Thor ace. It eventually started working again for a few hours but then the furnace shut off and is now completely dead. So if you turn the heat on nothing happens, no fan, nothing turns on. I checked the fuse panel under the bed, nothing kicked. Actually the main circuit panel doesn't have anything in it that states furnace for any breaker. So basically my furnace is completely dead. I also checked the switch outside by removing the panel and it is on. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
You can take a look at your circuit board for the furnace and see what kind of code light it is giving off. Also, I think you can turn your t-stat to off for a certain about of time and it will reset.
Below is what I have for fault lights on the board.

DIAGNOSTIC CHART FAULT
LED INDICATION
Internal Circuit Board Failure.............. Steady on, no flashing
Limit switch/Airflow problems............. 1 flash with 3second
pause
Flame Sense Fault........................... 2 flashes with 3second
pause
Ignition Lockout Fault...................... 3 flashes with 3second
pause

Also attached is a trouble shooting guide.
Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Furnace trouble shooting.pdf (57.1 KB, 547 views)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #3

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
You can take a look at your circuit board for the furnace and see what kind of code light it is giving off. Also, I think you can turn your t-stat to off for a certain about of time and it will reset.
Below is what I have for fault lights on the board.

DIAGNOSTIC CHART FAULT
LED INDICATION
Internal Circuit Board Failure.............. Steady on, no flashing
Limit switch/Airflow problems............. 1 flash with 3second
pause
Flame Sense Fault........................... 2 flashes with 3second
pause
Ignition Lockout Fault...................... 3 flashes with 3second
pause

Also attached is a trouble shooting guide.
Good luck.
Good info... Exactly where is the circuit board for the furnace located in your 24.1. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #4

State: Colorado
THOR #4745
Furnace

Thanks for the help. It is a 30.1 Thor ace. Furnace is located at the far back driver side of the coach next to the hot water heater. I will try to reset the switch outside. Not sure what the t-stat switch is. I will check the troubleshooting guide.

Reset the black switch outside, still not working, dead.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Your furnace is 12 volt so not on a breaker but a fuse somewhere. Also be sure you are getting propane to the furnace, if it doesn't have gas it will try & quit.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #6

THOR #1249
AceOwner, IIRC, and it has been awhile since I had problems with my furnace, but if you switch your t-stat to the off position for several mins, the furnace board and t-stat should reset or something like that.

Oneilkeys, my circuit board is located in the top left of my furnace cavity shown in the pic below. Exhaust is located below the board and extension pipe is attached to the cover..........the cover with the reversed louvers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2519.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	2406
Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
AceOwner, IIRC, and it has been awhile since I had problems with my furnace, but if you switch your t-stat to the off position for several mins, the furnace board and t-stat should reset or something like that.

Oneilkeys, my circuit board is located in the top left of my furnace cavity shown in the pic below. Exhaust is located below the board and extension pipe is attached to the cover..........the cover with the reversed louvers.

Attachment 2406
Thanks for the pic. I will check it out and store for future reference.. I hope I never have to use it.. But great to know.
Luckily mine doesn't have any louvers.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOwner View Post
Hoping to get some help with a furnace issue. I read previous forums on this. We started with a similar issue where the fan would kick in when you turn the heater on, you could hear it try to get the heat going but then shut off after attempting 3 times. 2016 Thor ace. It eventually started working again for a few hours but then the furnace shut off and is now completely dead. So if you turn the heat on nothing happens, no fan, nothing turns on. I checked the fuse panel under the bed, nothing kicked. Actually the main circuit panel doesn't have anything in it that states furnace for any breaker. So basically my furnace is completely dead. I also checked the switch outside by removing the panel and it is on. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Might want to pull the thermostat and check the wire connections. I had a problem with mine where nothing came on and it turned out to be a loose wire in a wire nut connection.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
There's also a fuse on the t-stat.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
There's also a fuse on the t-stat.
Unless there is a fuze on the furnace board, I can find no mention of a fuze in any documentation for my t-stat, nor did I see one when I installed a new digital t-stat. You have a much larger unit and your's very well may be different.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Had a similar problem with my furnace. The power to the furnace goes thru a 4 pin plug near the furnace, my plug was loose and intermittent.
But even when "clicked" together it would still lose contact when wiggled. The pins barely met. I sanded the plug face (cautiously) with dremel and no more problems...
Hope your repair is as simple.

Also if you do have the cover with the reversed louvers, Thor replaced mine because water was getting inside with wind driven rain from that side. Also reports of water getting to the control board through the louvers and causing problems.
FWIW the replacement includes a door with a gasket and no louvers, a different exhaust pipe assembly and a new door frame.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We had a similar problem when our 25.2 was just a week old. Called Atwood direct, and they promptly sent a new circuit board. Didn't notice the inverted louvers until the post about that defect appeared on this forum. A rainy drive likely caused that failure.

After a 1 1/2 inch rain last night, I removed the outside furnace cover, and there was about 1/4 inch of water under the exhaust. It was dry under the circuit board. I taped over the opening for now, will be covering it with soffit vent later.