Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2018, 02:24 AM   #121

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
I have been told by dealers that they are able to get into every rv with a master key. Not sure if that is the same for the deadbolt. The reason for a deadbolt is the lack of spring action. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_bolt
There are master keys available for both locks, but they are not available for purchase by individuals. Just dealers and locksmiths.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 AM   #122

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
As I understand this, locks with keys that do not have 4 digit code are the old style and should be replaced. Locks that have a four digit code on the keys are the new style. Both new and old style have the same style Zinc parts.

That doesn't sound like a very good fix to me.

I have the newer style but feel like I should be very concerned.
The new 1650 has a steel slide to replace the zinc part that broke on the old ones. There have been no reports,that I know of, of the new lock breaking.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #123

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Maybe I'm missing something. I have a key for the latch and a key for the deadbolt.

OR do you mean 2 keys for the latch?
You get two keys for the latch and two keys for the deadbolt (two sets) when you purchase the lock set or with the coach. I always prefer to have two extra sets (one that I can get to outside the vehicle) and an extra set inside the vehicle in case my wife or I lose our set. Those were the extra sets I was talking about being able to purchase to match the original keys.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #124

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
When i called Trimark the rep had me remove inside plate and read the stamped numbers on it see pic to confirm what replacement lock was needed mine took part # 37560-13

FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #125

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Massachusetts
THOR #7179
I just replaced the old style lock 060-0650 because of a broken plunger which is made of zinc with the new style 060-1650. This one has a steel plunger. Check with a magnet.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #126

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I spent the morning removing the inside plate from MH door lock assembly. Mine has the part #29412 07J. I talked with TriMark and the lady there said this lock assembly was involved in a recall a couple years ago.

I then called Thor Customer Service and explained this to them. The gentleman I talked to said he knew nothing of this recall. He told me our Gemini was delivered to the dealer in March 2016. We did not purchase until April 2017 so it was in Thors hands when the recall was issued. So he readily agreed that Thor would foot the bill for the ungrade to the steel bolt assembly under warranty.

Sounds to me like Thor dropped the ball on the recall. Luckily I have warranty work scheduled for next week. I will post the outcome.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #127
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Finally got around to doing this replacement. I went the Bauer route (Bauer BP-12RV. Its quite a bit less expensive ($60) than going the Trimark route.)

This was really a 10 minute fix: remove old door lock (about 5 or 6 screws) and replace with new (again about 5 or 6 screws). The Bauer fits in the same spot--didn't even have to replace the striker plate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-21 10.39.05.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	9829

Name:	2018-04-21 10.39.15.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	9830
You can see on the outside how it is a little smaller than the Trimark one, really isn't that noticeable.

On the inside I can see why people have modified their screen door so they can get their fingers behind it to close. We have the bar on the screen door so we don't have to do that. (In addition you can always get to it from the underside.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #128

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Just to make sure I have this straight ....
Part # 060-1650 is the latest upgraded lock with stronger internals ?
Read the thread, it"s 60-1650 for the replacement part.

good luck
Old 04-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #129

THOR #10354
2017 Vegas 25.2

I was worried about these broken lock issues so I went to Trimark's website and found out that they are using a different lock (030-0900) on my 2017 Vegas 25.2 RV. Maybe this will fit as a replacement?

The Trimark specifications:

Housing, inside plates, paddles, and certain lock actuating components:
Die cast zinc alloy

Internal latch components: Heat treated, smooth edge stamped steel

Springs: Non-corrosive stainless steel

Case halves: High strength steel

So, I do not know if the striker is die-cast or stamped steel

Does anybody know if this lock has the same problem?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #130

THOR #10354
Trimark 60-1650 lock

The specifications for this lock:

Housing, inside plates, handles, plunger bolt, deadbolt, locking components including lock knobs: Die cast zinc alloy

Strike plate: Heat treated and zinc plated steel

Load pins and plunger end plates: Steel

Trimark link:
060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware | TriMark Corporation
Old 04-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #131

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Finally got around to doing this replacement. I went the Bauer route (Bauer BP-12RV. Its quite a bit less expensive ($60) than going the Trimark route.)

This was really a 10 minute fix: remove old door lock (about 5 or 6 screws) and replace with new (again about 5 or 6 screws). The Bauer fits in the same spot--didn't even have to replace the striker plate.
Attachment 9829
Attachment 9830
You can see on the outside how it is a little smaller than the Trimark one, really isn't that noticeable.

On the inside I can see why people have modified their screen door so they can get their fingers behind it to close. We have the bar on the screen door so we don't have to do that. (In addition you can always get to it from the underside.)
Jamie, is the bolt steel?
Thanks
Old 04-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #132
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Jamie, is the bolt steel?
Thanks
Don't know, was too busy cleaning, waxing (sort of: Rejex'ing) to check. RV is back in storage now.

It does feel a bit more solid than the Trimark lock and a different design--of course when I went to take the Trimark off all the screws were finger tight LOL (maybe thats why ours didn't break, it was "loose" fitted).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #133

THOR #1249
I will try to contact them tomorrow and ask about their latch metal.
Mine has not failed yet, but for $60 it would be well worth it to have a reliable lock that will not break, especially if you had an emerg. I did remove the inside plate on mine and lubed it. That door lock breaking can make for a big inconvenience in a trip.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #134

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Axis door latch snap

Well I just ordered bp-12rv from Bauer to replace the Trimark thanks Jamie for supplying those pictures getting ready to go on vacation and the axxera radio not working either trying to get that taken care of also things we do just to have a little fun!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #135

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Checked ours yesterday and it has the zinc slide. Most likely go the Bauer route.
Did a little research and the Tri Mark has had this failure going back at least 18 years.
Guess they are still showing up today because of lying around some one's ware house.
Our last camper was that way the tires were in a warehouse for two years so of coarse we only got two years out of the tires.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #136

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I hope everyone is filing an NHTSA complaint about the Trimark lock. That is the only way we can hold them accountable.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #137

THOR #1249
Just received the Bauer BP-12RV lock yesterday. Looks like it is a more robust design than the Trimark in the bolt area. Below is a pic of the latch release post which is also a die cast part with bolt, but will most likely hold up ok under normal use especially if it is lubed.

Name:	IMG_7167ab.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	9916
Old 04-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #138

State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I hope everyone is filing an NHTSA complaint about the Trimark lock. That is the only way we can hold them accountable.
We certainly filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It only takes a few minutes and you can see from all of the messages on this string, it is only a matter of time before the Trimark breaks. And it will likely break at the worst possibly time. We were in the process of packing up to leave, pulled the handle and, SNAP. Luckily someone was instead to unlock the window and I climb through the passenger window to perform RV "surgery" on the handle/deadbolt so we could open the door. We went with the RVLock keyless and love it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180210_133524626.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	9917
Old 04-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #139

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Axis latch

Just installed my Bauer latch simple insulation no doubt but when I took the Trimark out I heard something drop to the bottom of the door and I can't retrieve it so be careful I guess I'll have to live with that rattle
Old 04-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #140

Model: Axis 25.1
THOR #2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird_in_SC View Post
We certainly filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It only takes a few minutes and you can see from all of the messages on this string, it is only a matter of time before the Trimark breaks. And it will likely break at the worst possibly time. We were in the process of packing up to leave, pulled the handle and, SNAP. Luckily someone was instead to unlock the window and I climb through the passenger window to perform RV "surgery" on the handle/deadbolt so we could open the door. We went with the RVLock keyless and love it.Attachment 9917
We put the RVLOCK on ours too and it is great. We did have to shave a little metal off the screen door frame to make it fit.