Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #161

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #12416
I just fell victim to this broken plunger today in my 2016 Thor Challenger 37TB, luckily it happened at home (We just got back from a 3 week road trip) and the driver window was left unlocked.
I am concerned, as I have a four digit code 2212 on one side of my Trimark deadbolt key, I am hoping that this is the older model, and that this problem is fixed in the new version.

The only way to close the door right now is to lock the deadbolt from the outside. This is a major safety hazard.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #162

State: Florida
THOR #1249
It is good that you are home when it happened. Many here were not so fortunate. There are better made locks to replace yours and you have the time shop for the best replacement. I replaced mine just as a precaution, but don't have the info handy right now. You can do a search on the forum and come up with several companies with replacements, prices and styles.

When you get your new lock, take a good look at the insides and make sure it is lubed good. I used a spray lube on my new one to make sure it got to the areas I could not see. Works smooth as butter now.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #163
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
It is good that you are home when it happened. Many here were not so fortunate. There are better made locks to replace yours and you have the time shop for the best replacement. I replaced mine just as a precaution, but don't have the info handy right now. You can do a search on the forum and come up with several companies with replacements, prices and styles.

When you get your new lock, take a good look at the insides and make sure it is lubed good. I used a spray lube on my new one to make sure it got to the areas I could not see. Works smooth as butter now.
Good luck.
Actually: You are already in the thread with the discussion about different replacements--just go back a few pages.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #164

THOR #1249
Glad you're on the ball with the ref's Jamie. Getting old and can't keep up with all the posts anymore.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:13 AM   #165

Model: 2017 Vegas 25.2
State: Michigan
THOR #14701
I know this is an older thread but probably worth revisiting for the recent purchasers of used coaches such as myself!

We bought a used 2017 Vegas 25.2 recently and did have a issue with the door latch. Was a one time thing where my DW pulled the latch from outside and door would not open! She called me over and I could not get it to unlatch either! I fiddled with it a little and it finally unlatched! Can’t say exactly what I did to get it open!
I discovered this thread tonight and am definitely going to replace the latch!

One thing I have noticed thru my many years of RVing is the number of people (most) who just slam there entry doors shut! This has to put quite a shock on the internals of the latch mechanisms! Especially the plunger!
I trained my Wife and kids right from the start to hold the latch open, push the door closed and then release the latch.
Never have had any issues with door hardware!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #166

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
THOR #14393
Axis door lock Snapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspixx View Post
I just replaced the Axis lock with an RVlock.
https://www.rvlock.com/collections/f...oducts/class-c
Interesting that on Amazon there are several direct copies of this lock for less $.
The install was easy. The only things not expected was that the remote fob works on the bolt lock part, not the latch lock. Also, the latch is probably zinc (not magnetic) and not iron. And, the latch plate on my Vegas 25.2 is not removable. So the nice black one supplied is not usable.
The RVlock is much easier to use, as it takes less force to close.
David

I also just replaced the door lock on my 2016 Vegas 24.1 with this RVLock. Very easy install, no problems, took 10 to 15 minutes. Also kept the existing strike plate. I’ve read all these problems with this lock and it hitting the screen door, but I have no problem at all. So, I recommend this lock and now I have my own code!
Old 05-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #167

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
With all due respect... How many of you lube the lock? I bought a can of the recommended slide lube. I also use it on the door lock and hinges. [I know, now that I said that my lock will break :-)]
What is the recommended lube? I recently bought a small tube of graphite and used it on all of the outside storage locks and the door lock. World of difference.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #168

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
What is the recommended lube? I recently bought a small tube of graphite and used it on all of the outside storage locks and the door lock. World of difference.
I use Silicone Spray
But Graphite is usually the remedy for sticky locks
Old 08-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #169

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I use Silicone Spray
But Graphite is usually the remedy for sticky locks
I just replaced our lock (after the "plastic" holding the latch broke and jammed)..

I was thinking of using the same silicon spray I use on the slides and awning arms. How has it worked for you?
Old 08-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #170

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I just replaced our lock (after the "plastic" holding the latch broke and jammed)..

I was thinking of using the same silicon spray I use on the slides and awning arms. How has it worked for you?
I use Silicone on most sticky mechanisms
But inside the key cylinder, I use Graphite
Old 08-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #171

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
I was told by a locksmith that graphite builds up and gets gummy. His choice was a Teflon (PTFE ?) based spray like TriFlow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I use Silicone on most sticky mechanisms
But inside the key cylinder, I use Graphite
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #172
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Today, we returned from a fantastic 3 week trip to Colorado and New Mexico.
ONE MORE THING REGARDING THE DOOR LOCK...
After leaving NM Thursday, we traveled over a horrendous 100 miles of Oklahoma hiway enroute to KS … ugh...when we arrived at our campground in Elkhart KS ...we were locked in the Axis !! After using our handy handle with 100 (it seems) different heads...we removed the inside cover to the locking mech...which appeared to be working ok...Ron climbed out the passenger side window and worked on it from the outside to no avail....some wonderful fellow campers/locals … stopped to help and offered to call the local locksmith. He came quickly...and couldn't figure out what was wrong either.. He and Ron finally, pulling on the door and me pushing from inside got it to pop open...PROBLEM BEING..the screws which hold the striker plate had worked loose during the time on the bad road...and jammed the door. Screwed them in...we will use locktite to prevent any future problem like that...ALL IS WELL and the fella who came out wouldn't take any $$..it was his pleasure to help us. There are still nice folks in this world !!

In addition... we DO spray Silicone on the striker plate and locking piece which hits the striker plate. We do not lubricate the inner workings of the lock. Ron does make sure to tighten, regularly, those screws on the inside panel of the lock plate...since he noticed they work loose.

That road has been less than perfect in 2 other trips using it as a return to KS...however this time, it felt like it was going to shake everything loose. We had to tighten the screws which old the Night Shade bracket in place too!

That is our story regarding the problems ! Next post will be photos of our terrific 20 yr old Jeep Sport traversing the mountain roads of Colorado and NM.

Happy Camping to you all !

Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #173

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Today, we returned from a fantastic 3 week trip to Colorado and New Mexico.
ONE MORE THING REGARDING THE DOOR LOCK...
After leaving NM Thursday, we traveled over a horrendous 100 miles of Oklahoma hiway enroute to KS … ugh...when we arrived at our campground in Elkhart KS ...we were locked in the Axis !! After using our handy handle with 100 (it seems) different heads...we removed the inside cover to the locking mech...which appeared to be working ok...Ron climbed out the passenger side window and worked on it from the outside to no avail....some wonderful fellow campers/locals … stopped to help and offered to call the local locksmith. He came quickly...and couldn't figure out what was wrong either.. He and Ron finally, pulling on the door and me pushing from inside got it to pop open...PROBLEM BEING..the screws which hold the striker plate had worked loose during the time on the bad road...and jammed the door. Screwed them in...we will use locktite to prevent any future problem like that...ALL IS WELL and the fella who came out wouldn't take any $$..it was his pleasure to help us. There are still nice folks in this world !!

In addition... we DO spray Silicone on the striker plate and locking piece which hits the striker plate. We do not lubricate the inner workings of the lock. Ron does make sure to tighten, regularly, those screws on the inside panel of the lock plate...since he noticed they work loose.

That road has been less than perfect in 2 other trips using it as a return to KS...however this time, it felt like it was going to shake everything loose. We had to tighten the screws which old the Night Shade bracket in place too!

That is our story regarding the problems ! Next post will be photos of our terrific 20 yr old Jeep Sport traversing the mountain roads of Colorado and NM.

Happy Camping to you all !

Ron and Kay
Thanks for the update! I hadn't thought of LOCK TITE for the strike plate...

That will be a project tomorrow!

How did your Jeep tow? Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 09-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #174
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Thanks for the update! I hadn't thought of LOCK TITE for the strike plate...

That will be a project tomorrow!

How did your Jeep tow? Inquiring minds want to know...
The Jeep was amazing ! Ron does most of the driving and sez he couldn't notice it was back there ! Of course, it is a lightweight !
We had the rear camera on constantly as most folks do.
Tow setup is a breeze...about 5 minutes including setting the Patriot brake in place in the Jeep..and setting the Transfer Case and shifter properly.

I think I can safely say that Ron and I both agree that having the Jeep along with us and not depending on a motorcycle for transportation was a smart and enjoyable change. We have motorcycled for 50+ years.
We love being part of the Jeep culture !

Happy Camping to you Mike and all our Forum friends !
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axis n Train Lamar CO.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	20430

Lamar CO ..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #175

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #18877
Solution to the door handle problem

I know that this thread is 3 yo, but I also had 2 of the broken handles, with one of them being a real problem. A friend of mine sent me a note about a YouTube video of a replacement plunger for these handles. I have bought 4 of them total, and now I actually lock all of the doors and windows now. I got them from Ebay. The best things are that it literally takes 3 minutes to install with the tools provided, and your old keys still work.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #176

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMHDR View Post
I know that this thread is 3 yo, but I also had 2 of the broken handles, with one of them being a real problem. A friend of mine sent me a note about a YouTube video of a replacement plunger for these handles. I have bought 4 of them total, and now I actually lock all of the doors and windows now. I got them from Ebay. The best things are that it literally takes 3 minutes to install with the tools provided, and your old keys still work.
Could you provide the you tube link

Thanks Richard
FMCA #F432587
rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #177

THOR #18877
It's under" How to fix broken Trimark RV door handle". And I looked at the Ebay listing. The seller is sportssnutt, and they're $45 w/free shipping.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #178

THOR #18877
The seller just messaged me and said that he has a website that has a link to the Ebay listing. It is cartcollapse.com
Old 09-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #179

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #5809
Well, I thought I was done with this. I got a replacement a couple of years ago after the original broke. This was long after Trimark had reportedly switched to steel plunger.

Nope, the repacement broke last night. Difference is that this time there is aslo a smallish black piece which is broken. Trimark website says plunger is "zinc alloy!"

I'm not sure what to do now. Someone said they replaced with one from RVlocks, no problem. I asked RVlocks and they say modification to the door is required. Someone else said they replaced from one from Baur, with a little modification. I'd eally like to find a drect replacement that won't lock me in again in a few years!
Old 09-04-2021, 04:08 AM   #180

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
Well, I thought I was done with this. I got a replacement a couple of years ago after the original broke. This was long after Trimark had reportedly switched to steel plunger.

Nope, the repacement broke last night. Difference is that this time there is aslo a smallish black piece which is broken. Trimark website says plunger is "zinc alloy!"

I'm not sure what to do now. Someone said they replaced with one from RVlocks, no problem. I asked RVlocks and they say modification to the door is required. Someone else said they replaced from one from Baur, with a little modification. I'd eally like to find a drect replacement that won't lock me in again in a few years!
Hi, I experienced similar with my door lock. I purchased and installed this 2 piece plunger without modification to my door. Working well about a year later. https://www.latchfix.com/info
Nancy