Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Axis 25.1
State: Maine
THOR #3986
Axis door lock Snapped

Last night we got back to the camper and my wife tried to open the door and it made a clanging sound and then wouldn't do anything. I was able to climb in the window but the latch wouldn't do anything from the inside either. So I took the latch apart and the slide bolt is broken it just snapped in 2. Any idea where to get replacement parts or at least a model number. I can't fathom how this would break I bet the door hasn't been used 100 times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Lock Snapped.png
Views:	2006
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	5734  

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
You are not alone in having this problem. I have read on this forum of at least a couple of locks being broken and either the person was locked in or out. You can call Thor for replacement part or if you are still under warranty a dealer can fix it.
Also, there are stock RV door locks and alternates such as keyless available online.
Thanks for the pics. Looks like a weak point in the bolt due to poor metallurgy.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #3

THOR #3986
I have emailed the Thor rep and hopefully they will do something. I found what appears to be the same lock but I am hesitant in doing that because it does look like a design flaw. If Thor doesn't do anything then I might try my hand at making one out of some good bar stock instead of the crappy case white metal.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Texas
THOR #6099
Same thing happen to me. All of my windows were locked and ended up breaking the door. It was a mess. Thor replaced the door and lock, but now am always afraid it will happen again so I leave a window unlocked. LOL
Old 07-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
That's a bit frightening. I had been reading the thread about the remote RV lock, but it doesn't look like there is a size to fit the Vegas. Anybody else come with a wireless or other solution? I guess that's one downside to the one door of the little class A style Vegas.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow that looks similar to this:
https://www.facebook.com/48in366/pho...type=3&theater
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Ours is a 2016 and it started acting weird last year....It was the Tri-Corp brand. We replaced it with the Bauer brand and it seems to work just fine. We had to add another grab handle on the inside so we have to remember to have the screen slider plastic open.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Yet another reason I'm glad I bought a Class C. We can always get in, or out, through the cab doors. I keep a Ford key zip tied underneath so we can't get stranded or locked out when far from home.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Ours is a 2016 and it started acting weird last year....It was the Tri-Corp brand. We replaced it with the Bauer brand and it seems to work just fine. We had to add another grab handle on the inside so we have to remember to have the screen slider plastic open.
In the RVLock thread, it was mentioned that the Bauer was deadbolt only, which I think was related to their electronic version. Does their manual version have the same issue?

Was the grab handle needed due to a difference lock design or so you wouldn't stress the lock by pulling on the handle?
Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #10

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I have been dealing with this for two years now.
My first tri mark lock broke twice after a year ..Thor sent me a new one and that just broke for the second time. they break at two spots the little plastic piece and the plunger ...have had both locks break both so all total I have bean locked out 4 times.

Trimark sells a steel plunger (upgraded version ) but you have to call them and request it at $200 .( wife talked to them week and half ago).

so I bought the rv lock for my ace ...
https://www.rvlock.com/collections/f...oducts/class-c
Installed it and didn't work...
The screen door would have to be modified to make the lock work...
The lock handle hits by about a 1/4".
I just sent it back and bought the bauer lock..
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Bauer...0342491BB56019

The bauer lock fit but the door is difficult to close unless you use the handle and retract the plunger...
I am hoping I can do some more adjustment and fix it.

by the way see this thread too
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ocks-8142.html
Hope this helps
Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5545
Trimark entry door lock

I have 2016 Vegas with Trimark 06-650 lock. While at lazy days this week could not get out of door. After 45 minutes with repair tech finally use crowbar n damaged door it open. Problem is striker plunger broke which is die cast zinc leaving plunger in close position. Very poorly made striker.. Depending on where n when this happens could be very serious. Called Trimark they said have to drill out handles. Bad fix. Lazy days put same model back in. Found out the 06-650 is discontinued n replace with 60-1650.. The new one with Trimark part no. 37575-01-k has a steel plunger. If u have the model I would say there a good chance of failure. Since depending when it fails could be very serious. Can get from Trimark for $201.. Can get at other supplies for half that but make sure Trimark said the only one with steel plunger 37575-01k.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:55 AM   #12

THOR #3986
That is horrible, glad you made it out . If it happens again from the inside you can take the lock apart with a Phillips screw driver. Once the plate is off take a flat head screw driver and pry the striker back into the lock releasing the door. It helps if you can pull the door in a little to take pressure off the striker.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 AM   #13

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwstick View Post
I have 2016 Vegas with Trimark 06-650 lock. While at lazy days this week could not get out of door. After 45 minutes with repair tech finally use crowbar n damaged door it open. Problem is striker plunger broke which is die cast zinc leaving plunger in close position. Very poorly made striker.. Depending on where n when this happens could be very serious. Called Trimark they said have to drill out handles. Bad fix. Lazy days put same model back in. Found out the 06-650 is discontinued n replace with 60-1650.. The new one with Trimark part no. 37575-01-k has a steel plunger. If u have the model I would say there a good chance of failure. Since depending when it fails could be very serious. Can get from Trimark for $201.. Can get at other supplies for half that but make sure Trimark said the only one with steel plunger 37575-01k.
Looked, and so far the only places I've found 37575-01-k online is for $201.

I'm planning on making this the first thing I do with my new ACE. Seriously thinking about doing it, talking tech into helping me, while parked at the PDI pad at MHSRV next month.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #14

THOR #1249
It would be a nice offer on Trimark's part to sell just the upgraded steel plunger and other poorly designed parts so the existing door locks could be dependable.
I am especially careful with my lock now.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Is there a place on the lock itself (internal or external) that you could look at to see what model you have installed? No need to order a replacement if you already have a good lock.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #16

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Is there a place on the lock itself (internal or external) that you could look at to see what model you have installed? No need to order a replacement if you already have a good lock.

I cannot find a P/N on it, but according to the tech info at Trimark, pics of the two different locks and based on the model year of my Vegas, I would say that I have one of the weak plungers or bolts.

Below is a pic of the old, not recommended replacement by Trimark and the new replacement. The old one looks just like the one I have.
So many P/N's and different locks, it can get kinda confusing. As Pwstick mentioned, the steel plunger or bolt; not sure how you would be certain you are getting the upgraded bolt. Personally, I would just like to get a replacement bolt if possible and install it myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	60-650.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	6316
This is the one I have, P/N 060-0650

Name:  060-1625_060-1650_platform.jpg
Views: 3662
Size:  57.0 KB
This is the replacement, P/N 060-1650

060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware | TriMark Corporation
Old 08-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #17

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
With all due respect... How many of you lube the lock? I bought a can of the recommended slide lube. I also use it on the door lock and hinges. [I know, now that I said that my lock will break :-)]
Old 08-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #18

THOR #6557
Amazon has this lock in stock for $100.00. Good customer reviews. Interesting that you can get a 4 year warranty for $9.00. From the review it seems simple to DYI
Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #19

THOR #6557
Lol...diy
Old 08-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Just to make sure I have this straight ....
Part # 060-1650 is the latest upgraded lock with stronger internals ?