Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #6223
Axis house battery box welds broke

We own a 2017 Axis 24.1 Almost had a catastrophe on a recent trip. Luckily we were only 7 miles from home. We heard a loud bump which we first thought was something shifting in the cabinets. We kept hearing it so my wife got up and went to the back. She then told me the noise was coming from the front passenger wheel well area. I immediately pulled over on the interstate and got out and looked at the wheel well and tire and saw nothing wrong I then noticed something hanging down under the door. I looked under the door to find the battery box holding the two house batteries was about an inch above the ground. I opened up the step an found the rear welds holding the box had broke. I also noticed that one of the #6 wire cables had been dragged on the ground. So basically the noise was the rear of the box bouncing off the pavement. I took the batteries out and tied up the battery box and drove home. I own a fabricating shop so I proceeded to correctly weld the box back on. Whoever welded it had no penetration into the battery box frame but good penetration into the coach frame. I had to undo a lot of cables so I had room to weld and also not burn the cables. If we had been much further in our trip this could have been a bad day. Also if the front welds had broken it could have caught on the pavement and pushed the whole thing though the steps and into the coach. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else and I hope it doesn't. Just another example of some of the fine workmanship at the factory. It makes me wonder what else was not welded correctly? I had pictures but my phone screen went black and we could not get into it to pull the pictures off. I had to get a new phone and lost all the pics I had in the old one.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
OMG - thats crazy. I will check my welds again. I gave everything the once over in the spring looking for anything that was questionable under my Axis. Thanks for the info.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
The battery acid from the two batteries in my Hurricane runs down the inside of the holder, down the inside of the inside edge of the RV and rotted out the entire galvanized inside cover. simple drain hole would have prevented this. Time to fix Thor shit again.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
The battery acid from the two batteries in my Hurricane runs down the inside of the holder, down the inside of the inside edge of the RV and rotted out the entire galvanized inside cover. simple drain hole would have prevented this. Time to fix Thor shit again.

There should be no battery acid running down anywhere, This indicates an over charging condition or possible fluid levels to high.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
And these are the same people building the "truck cab" you're ridding in??? That's scary!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:55 PM   #6

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I removed both batteries, cables, and cleaned the area this morning, then installed some thick tool box shelving pads, cutting to size. I wanted to make sure the area was clean and dry. I used a wire brush and cleaned up all terminal posts, and wire connector ends. Then I tie wrap all cables, so nothing is flopping around and is secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-07-16_11-25-00.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	38727   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-07-16_11-25-11.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	38728  

Tags
axis 24.1, broken welds