Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3477
I have had the F9 fuse blow about once a year on my 2015 Axis for the last three years. Replace it and it works fine , year later it blows again. I just had the RV out and third day into the trip the fuse blew. I have replaced it and it blows when you turn the A/C or Heater blower on. I replaced the heater blower motor (bad bearing 2 years ago), have it disconnected with a meter in its place. Hot wired motor and it still works. Meter has 12 volts until I turn the switch to vent or heater. Fuse is then blown. Is the blower motor tied into the heater and A/C?
Wiring diagrams I have from Ed are a little blurry and hard to see.

Would anyone have an idea where to look next?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
One possibility might be the thermostat wiring. In my 2016 Axis, the thermostat wiring goes to an electrical box located up inside the main A/C vent over the couch which turns the blower and compressor on and off. While it should be a single wire run from the thermostat to that box, in my coach the wires are spliced (what a surprise!). If you have a short some where in that wiring, it seems to me that when the blower comes on with the A/C, if you have a momentary short, it might be enough to blow the fuse. Since everything moves as you run the coach, it could be that the short happens infrequently as things shift. Really tough to find things like that, but I look at that wiring.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:54 AM   #23

THOR #3477
My bad! This is the chassis A/C - engine heat fan that I am having trouble with. The F9 fuse new one use to fix it. Now the fuse keeps blowing.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #24

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering724 View Post
My bad! This is the chassis A/C - engine heat fan that I am having trouble with. The F9 fuse new one use to fix it. Now the fuse keeps blowing.
Ahhh. The chassis AC. I had a similar fuse blowing issue on a Class C that turned out to be a screw through a wire that was done during assembly. When the coach moved a certain way, the screw contacted the wire and ground and blew the expensive big fuse in the engine compartment. Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Finding it is the trick. Especially if it’s intermittent.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #25

State: Missouri
THOR #20604
Where would I find this fuse panel that you’re talking about in the Vegas if I have a Shoto class C I have no 12 V power unless my generators running or we’re hooked to shore power and I have no power going back to the breaker box and inverter but I can still start my generator
Old 09-20-2020, 12:28 AM   #26

THOR #1765
Never heard of a Shoto Class C, so I can’t help you in the location of your fuse box. However, if you have no 12 V power except when your generator is on, check to make sure your use/store switch is on (if you have one - you should). Secondly check to see if you have a 50 amp breaker in or near your battery box which has tripped. You seem to have a break between your batteries and the coach. The use/store and battery box breakers are the usual suspects.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:51 AM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Never heard of a Shoto Class C, so I can’t help you in the location of your fuse box. However, if you have no 12 V power except when your generator is on, check to make sure your use/store switch is on (if you have one - you should). Secondly check to see if you have a 50 amp breaker in or near your battery box which has tripped. You seem to have a break between your batteries and the coach. The use/store and battery box breakers are the usual suspects.

It’s not hard to suppose he means Chateau....
Old 09-20-2020, 01:03 AM   #28

THOR #1765
Since he has “Still Looking” in RV manufacture, I assume he does not have a Thor. Since this is his first post, that may or may not be a valid assumption.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #29

THOR #3477
It sounds like you guys have answered his problem.

I just realized I never posted what fixed my problem. I was able to get a generic ford wiring diagram for the chassis heat/AC control knobs to,the AC system. It showed a blue wire going to a relay that would operate the clutch on the AC. And of course this all goes under the hood. I took my homemade cover over the battery off, stuck my head down in with a flash light and just to the back left of the battery box is a blue wire and a relay hanging there. The relay was mounted with one screw which would allow the relay to rotate. When it would move, the wire would hit the frame rail and short the wire blowing the fuse. Simple relocating the relay and problem solved. Plus several years of frustration trying to find it!
Old 04-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #30

State: Texas
THOR #3407
I have a 2016 Thor Vegas 24.1, My back up camera, side camera, cd player nor my DVD player - the entire unit will not come on unless the engine is running. I am thinking it might be the fuse that connects it to the inside batteries. Can anyone tell me where this fuse is or maybe someone knows what the problem might be. Thanks in advance! Lydia
Old 07-24-2021, 02:04 AM   #31

State: Oregon
THOR #15838
Chassis A/C and radio not working

2015 Vegas 25.1

My wife is out of town.... just called to tell me the A/C and radio won’t work. If I was there I could probably troubleshoot easily as I like to wrench a little and can usually figure out this stuff.

Guessing it’s a fuse. Where that fuse is located is what I can’t seem to find online. The fuse box under the hood perhaps? If so does anyone have the number or a pic I can send her? She FaceTimed me and the front compartment on the driver’s side fuse box didn’t appear to have the chassis hvac fuse in it but then had to get back on the road.

Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2021, 02:18 AM   #32

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Might be that Thor just forgot to connect the wires to the outlets. It happens. I’ve always added additional outlets and wire them individually directly to the battery or to an ignition switched circuit depending on how I plan to use it.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:19 AM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Both the radio and the A/C require 12 VDC from the DC buss to work: the radio uses the 12 VDC directly through an inline fuse; the A/C uses 12 VDC from the thermostat as control power to turn on the fan and compressor relays.
The thermostat gets the 12 VDC from the furnace which gets it from the DC distribution fuse block, normally the "Appliances" fuse.

Is he plugged into SP?
What else does not work? i.e. Fridge, lights, water heater?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:02 AM   #34

THOR #15838
On the road. Not the coach A/c. That works fine. It’s the chassis a/c and heat and blower that’s not working. Worked fine last time she drove it. She will be at her destination in a couple hours and plugged into shore power at our daughters house. Daughter is about to pop with child number one so once my wife is there she won’t be worried about troubleshooting so I will just do it when she gets home. If anyone knows what fuse might run the a/c that’s all I need her to check as I don’t want her trying to fix anything technical without me there.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:03 AM   #35

THOR #15838
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Both the radio and the A/C require 12 VDC from the DC buss to work: the radio uses the 12 VDC directly through an inline fuse; the A/C uses 12 VDC from the thermostat as control power to turn on the fan and compressor relays.
The thermostat gets the 12 VDC from the furnace which gets it from the DC distribution fuse block, normally the "Appliances" fuse.

Is he plugged into SP?
What else does not work? i.e. Fridge, lights, water heater?
All coach features working fine. Only thing not working is radio and chassis a/c / heater / blower
Old 07-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #36

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike911 View Post
All coach features working fine. Only thing not working is radio and chassis a/c / heater / blower
On my '18 Axis, the dash accessories are powered from a fuse block in the compartment below the driver's seat. The #10 white wire that supplies the block was not tightened down during assembly, causing intermittent issues. Bottom right fuses, F9 and F10 are for the AC.

...hmm, the forum system is not allowing me to post an image of that block. Go to my user profile, gnach, under the Statistics tab, click Albums created by gnach, ( https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...82-albums.html ) and that image is there. Hopefully.

Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #37

THOR #15838
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
On my '18 Axis, the dash accessories are powered from a fuse block in the compartment below the driver's seat. The #10 white wire that supplies the block was not tightened down during assembly, causing intermittent issues. Bottom right fuses, F9 and F10 are for the AC.

...hmm, the forum system is not allowing me to post an image of that block. Go to my user profile, gnach, under the Statistics tab, click Albums created by gnach, ( https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...82-albums.html ) and that image is there. Hopefully.

Thank you for your reply. I will look into that again. I had her look in that fuse box but it didn’t look like there was a fuse for chassis air conditioning / heat in there. She’s at my daughters house and I think she’s connected to shore power now so she has the coach a/c and heat until she drives home. It’s only a five hour drive so maybe she will drive at night when it’s cooler and I can fix it when she gets home.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
FW-2050 is not a fuse box, it's the Battery Control Center (FW221)

I've been having similar issues with my dash fan (intermittent failure) and I traced it down to the Battery Control Center (BCC).

That's the black 'fuse box' in the engine compartment. It handles the battery power of both the coach and chassis batteries, including charging.

The box contains the FW221 board from RV Custom Products. This is also the board that Thor mis-wired a while back on a number of units and was subject to a recall because of this.

The board does contain fuses for each of its circuits, but it's not a fuse box.

In my case the fan wire somehow overheated at the connector to the FW221 board. It blackened and partially melted the plastic connector. I suspect this caused the intermittent failure of the fan.