Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2018 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #13980
Axis/Vegas Maintenance

If someone had a problem with a engine component, like a sensor, or alternator, water pump & etc?

Old 12-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Are you asking if anyone has had a problem, or where should you go if you do have a problem, or is there any maintenance required on said systems?

The only problems I recall from people on here were of the more catastrophic types and nothing relating to the engine at all.

Where should you go? A Ford dealer if its an engine problem.

Any maintenance? Not really just get your oil changes--I'm pretty sure the plugs are 100,000 mile plugs.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Should you have an engine related problem, call the Ford dealer to make sure they are able and willing to work on an RV. Not all dealers are.

Those Ford engines are almost bulletproof, so there aren't many problems to talk about here. Just regular maintenance. Most RVers don't put all that many miles on their rigs.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #4

THOR #13980
Sorry it was unclear, kinda left it unfinished. I got my new to me 2018 Vegas 24.1 home, the engine AC was making a racket so I decided to have a quick look, found out quickly that "quick looks" don’t happen with these vehicles. I know that the Ford running gear is pretty robust...I’ve had 2 Lazy Daze on this chassis, but "stuff" does happen, I’ve experience to prove it. So, how do you access anything more than the dip stick or washer fluid.

Had 2 old GMC motorhomes on the Toronado chassis and the easiest way to work on it was pull the engine, sub frame & all, but even that doesn’t appear to be an option.

Most Ford dealers around here won’t touch these, even to change the oil.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well you can pull the doghouse off from the inside. Remove some screws and gently pry it away from the floor.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
The modern Ford stripper chassis is very reliable - esp when compared to anything from 20+ years ago (like the old GMC - which look totally awesome).

I guess once you get about 5 or 6 year on the modern RV its a good Idea to check things out and replace belts and hoses.

I like to do at least one annual inspection of everything under the hood and chassis of my RV to try and catch anything that could be a problem or shows wear.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

THOR #13980
There is quandary, how do you do something like a belt inspection or replacement among other things. Can you do a plug or coil pack replacement thru the cockpit hatch.
Sorry for the questions, I’m just trying to get ahead of the curve, and SHE says I can’t tear into the Vegas till I get the Forester ready to sell.

I also thought that the OLD GMC was the best looking MH made, the Vegas size & style were what drove me to it. The old Grand Villa was also a beauty...IMHO.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #8

THOR #12231
Yeah I love the old GMC RV's. Way cool looking.

I never really thought about how my Axis window looks like the old GMC's but I guess they do. Its one of the features that I absolutely love about my Axis.

I think you can inspect the belt from below the RV? But yeah it would be hard to replace. Perhaps you can find some youtubes on changing the belt, inspections etc.

Im sure you can do a coil or plug inside the dog house but unless your having problems you wont need to touch them for 100K miles or so. It would take me 15 years before I would have to worry about it and by then I will have been retired for a couple of years and traded in my Axis on something newer.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Anyone who knows for sure can jump on here and correct me -- but I thought the engine-driven AC system on Axis/Vegas is basically an after-market addition that was installed by Thor and it was not Ford installed. I thought I read several posts about the Thor/Ford finger-pointing from owners that were having chassis AC issues.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #10

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
You are correct Ed. It is a Thor after market. When there was a recall back in 2015, it was Thor recall, not Ford. I took my 2014 Vegas to a Ford dealerfor an AC problem and they would not even look at it.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Anyone who knows for sure can jump on here and correct me -- but I thought the engine-driven AC system on Axis/Vegas is basically an after-market addition that was installed by Thor and it was not Ford installed. I thought I read several posts about the Thor/Ford finger-pointing from owners that were having chassis AC issues.
Thor buys the stripped chassis with just the compressor (mounting and belt) but buys the other components from Acme (yes, Wiley Coyote's) air conditioning products. The assembly wiring, ducting, etc. is all Thor's.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Thor buys the stripped chassis with just the compressor (mounting and belt) but buys the other components from Acme (yes, Wiley Coyote's) air conditioning products. The assembly wiring, ducting, etc. is all Thor's.
Is that way I found some bird seed and a large anvil with "Acme" written on the side it it under my dinette?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Access in the Vegas is a pain but doable. Long arms and patience are required.

I have no issues getting to top of engine through doghouse. I need to replace chassis a/c coil (coil open) no compressor cycling. It is accessable from underside. I have been under unit to check many things from tank pads, rear axle fluid level and wiring repairs after marker light wiring was damaged by road debris.

I am not as flexible as I once was but unit is workable.

I will do the a/c coil by putting up on leveling ramps and use my big floor jack as secondary protection. I will do this after I reinstall transmission in drag car for New Years nationals race.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #14

THOR #13980
If the Ford dealer wouldn’t touch your AC for a recall, who did the work ?