Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #61
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Thank you! I'll pick one up tomorrow. The photo. I actually think the top of the awning arm is blocking where the split is am I correct? It looks like a tiny crack on each side where cap meets the trim piece that runs to the back of unit?

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #62

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #8351
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I can tell you that after having our windows removed and looking at the wood next to the openings, the main problem was not the window seal. The problem is where the front cap meets the side wall main body as RevJeff's picture shows. Water is seeping in and running down inside. I did take some pictures with the windows out. I was amazed to see that the wood next to the openings looked like brand new.
100% agree. We removed both windows as well. It was where the cap met the body. We resealed and put in some decent screws. They had little trim screws holding together and half were rusted and broke.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #63

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
This was a major irritation and cost. It could have been avoided if the builders had made water intrusion one of the most important issues when building, of course. Just glad it was finally figured out.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #64

THOR #8351
Quote:
This was a major irritation and cost. It could have been avoided if the builders had made water intrusion one of the most important issues when building, of course. Just glad it was finally figured out.
Yep We had to replace all the wood, insulation and wall board in the front.
At least now I know it is done right.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #65

State: Ontario
THOR #2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Thank you! I'll pick one up tomorrow. The photo. I actually think the top of the awning arm is blocking where the split is am I correct? It looks like a tiny crack on each side where cap meets the trim piece that runs to the back of unit?
Also check the opening where the Awning Power Cable enters MH behind awning arm. Make sure the opening is sealed. Mine was not. Refer to big red arrow in attached picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-14-2018 12-07-46 PM.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	14026  
Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #66

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
AGREED, and excluded in the warranty. Good luck, Earl.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #67

THOR #3483
The power cable in the 2016 model is at the bottom of the awning support attached to the side wall. I have seen on the newer models that it is at the top.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #68

THOR #3483
Leak INTO Axis Windows

Okay folks... $1500 later the leak is located, fixed and the windows are reinstalled. If only there was a bit more training when they put these rigs together. So just as others have discovered, where the side of the front cap meets the side wall, the window frame was installed over that seam. Between the gap at that point and a lousy sealing job with the screws on the side, enough water came in to make the wallpaper below the windows ripple. The interesting thing is that the water must be running down a channel of the framing aluminum and into a pocket about 5 inches below the windows because the wood around my windows looked brand new. Done... now for Thanksgiving. If you have not checked this issue, I would do it before you have to go through the expense I did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4074.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	14111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4069.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	14112  

Name:	IMG_4070.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	14113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4072.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	14114  

Old 11-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #69
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Looks like you didn't have to disassemble the bunk to get the windows out?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:27 AM   #70

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Looks like you didn't have to disassemble the bunk to get the windows out?
Hi Jamie,
Yes, I was surprised and pleased. They removed the little framed boxes that covered some of the hardware on the sides. The shop joked with me by asking me if I wanted the drop down bunk reinstalled because one of the technicians had taken it home and made a porch swing out of it.... Still, it was a crap job to take out those windows to figure out what the problem was.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #71

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
Thank you AxisEarlfor your posts and the heads up and pix on this seam/window fix. We still have our Vegas at the dealership in for other warranty work and your information has helped me persuade the factory to approve the necessary repairs for our RV. Thanks again!

Now thinking that we should inspect every protrusion and opening in rig
What type of sealant did the techs use to close up and waterproof the seams and window areas?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #72

THOR #3483
Leak

MichFigs,
I'll get back to you. I know that they obtained all new rubber gasket material for the windows which were not the problem to begin with.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #73

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
Update: Thor did authorize the repairs (really cannot complain as Thor has been very responsive every time I have called them), will have this done after the winter weather breaks and parts are in stock.

We do want to make sure this does not happen again! What is the best way to seal that front cap to side wall transition seam, Dicor Sealant, Eterna Bond, etc. and still have a nice finished look??
Old 11-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #74

THOR #10788
Axis/Vegas Window Leak (maybe?)

I am so glad this thread was started! I checked the upper side windows at this corner, SMH! They attempted to seal this area, but actually created a funnel for the water to go into this area. The quality control is abysmal. Most of the sealant issues I find are because they didn’t take hardly any time to do it right and barely used any sealant. So, I fixed it myself, because warranty work takes forever and numerous times it isn’t done right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	14216  
Old 11-27-2018, 04:24 AM   #75

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
On our 2015 Hurricane, there were actually gaps where the glass is bonded to the metal frame of the “frameless” window on the top section of the front passenger window. Water was actually leaking between the glass and its frame. I filled the entire gap between glass and wall with sealant. So far, so good.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #76

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Wow, mid-November we spent $2400 plus replacing the panels and resealing the windows due to leaking water that rotted out the paneling under the windows. We were told it was because the seal around the windows failed and allowed water to leak in. Told Warranty had three or four ways out to not cover water damage. See pictures below.

Now, 2 weeks later, we found water on the floor under the slide next to the carpeted step up to the seats. BUT it only occurs when the side slide is in. Last week we had 3 inches of rain on Thursday and Friday and during that time I put the slide out and NO water.

Is it possible that the connection between the front cap and the side wall connect or is there any other option?

6367953060233502802.jpg6367953072232722252.jpg

DocMike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6367953060233502802.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	14718   Click image for larger version

Name:	6367953072232722252.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	14719  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #77
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Wow, mid-November we spent $2400 plus replacing the panels and resealing the windows due to leaking water that rotted out the paneling under the windows. We were told it was because the seal around the windows failed and allowed water to leak in. Told Warranty had three or four ways out to not cover water damage. See pictures below.

Now, 2 weeks later, we found water on the floor under the slide next to the carpeted step up to the seats. BUT it only occurs when the side slide is in. Last week we had 3 inches of rain on Thursday and Friday and during that time I put the slide out and NO water.

Is it possible that the connection between the front cap and the side wall connect or is there any other option?

6367953060233502802.jpg6367953072232722252.jpg

DocMike
My guess is that your leak on the floor is the exact same thing I had. Check the trim on the outside of the slide all the way around--reseal if you see any gaps. I ended up resealing the entire thing from the top where the slide topper is down one side, across and up the other side. After I did that no more leaks.

Name:	InkedIMG_2202_LI.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	14720

It would run to the front of the slide, down a channel and drop on the foor right behind the step. Since its leaking inside the slide when the slide is out it just leaks on the ground.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #78

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Jamie,
Thanks for the tip. I noted there are a couple of questionable spots along the lower section. So a few questions:
1. Did you caulk over the exiting caulk?
2. Did you prep the area (acetone, alcohol, ??).
3. What did you use for caulk (silicone, any specific type)?

I plan to do from top to bottom tomorrow afternoon, should be moderate low 50's most of the afternoon.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #79

THOR #3483
Doc, I just found that mine did the same exact thing with the slide in during a driving rain we recently had. The rig was also slightly tilted to the passenger side. I found that the sealant was missing from the same area of the slider that Jamie pointed out. I used some clear DAP brand sealant.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #80
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I just used clear silicone and coated it right over what (or what was not) there--in many places there was nothing there (and thus nothing to clean off).