Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #21334
Dead Batteries

This has been discussed in numerous threads but I have not found my answer, so I'll just ask the same thing with my particulars ......

my situation.......

We bought this 2015 THOR ACE 30.1 motorhome less than a year ago after selling our 25 year old Class C, got a great deal on a 6 year old ACE with less than 10K miles.

It is stored inside a warehouse and can not be plugged in, when I am not in it....

My chassis battery is dead (2.3v) my two house batteries collectively show 8.3v, and will not power anything, the 50 amp breaker next to the house batteries is closed with 8.3 volts on the house side.

when I plug into 120v shore power (with a good spark at the plug i.e. drawing current) available in the warehouse the house comes to life, BUT the converter/charger is not humming, nor are any of the batteries house or chassis being charged!

ALSO, the store/use switch seems to be inoperable as there is no loud relay click ....

The emergency start switch is not connecting the house batteries to the engine start circuit (no loud click) no start......

now the questions,

where is the converter/charger? and how do I check it?

where is the store/use relay? and how do I check it? Is the store/use relay powered by the chassis battery? (which might explain why it is not clicking with a dead chassis battery) IF the store/use relay was in the store position when all the power was lost, the batteries would not charge even if the charger was functioning (YES???) How do I return it to the use position ???

how do I keep the chassis battery from continually going dead? (I was thing of using one of those screw knob battery disconnect switches....) I thought there was some devise built into the chassis battery circuitry to prevent the battery from being discharged like that .....

I am able to do most of the troubleshooting, but am not familiar with the various functionality and inter dependancies of these systems.
your experience and expertise is greatly appreciated....

Michael

Old 09-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
First, you need a cheap volt meter of figure where there is voltage and how much you have. If you are plugged into shore power and the converter CB is on, then the coach should have 12 volt power to your 12 volt fuse panel. The main 12 volt fuse panel is usually beside or under the power center. If you have battery voltage below 8 volts the use/store - master power switch will not move the latching relay, as it is powered only by battery power.
If flooded batteries are below 4 volts, the charger will not charge the batteries. This is a safety concern to keep sparking igniting the hydrogen produced when flooded batteries are charging. The charger will not charge the chassis battery until the house batteries are fully charged.
The converter is usually in the bottom section of the power center, near the 12 volt fuse panel.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
First, you need a cheap volt meter of figure where there is voltage and how much you have. If you are plugged into shore power and the converter CB is on, then the coach should have 12 volt power to your 12 volt fuse panel. The main 12 volt fuse panel is usually beside or under the power center. If you have battery voltage below 8 volts the use/store - master power switch will not move the latching relay, as it is powered only by battery power.
If flooded batteries are below 4 volts, the charger will not charge the batteries. This is a safety concern to keep sparking igniting the hydrogen produced when flooded batteries are charging. The charger will not charge the chassis battery until the house batteries are fully charged.
The converter is usually in the bottom section of the power center, near the 12 volt fuse panel.
You will have to get an old style charger to get the voltage high enough to use your onboard charger
Battery disconnect switches should be your next mod
Old 09-19-2021, 12:03 AM   #4

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
THOR #4359
On my ACE I have a disconnect switch on the house batteries…the store switch does not turn of things like the propane’s detector and etc…. If left for a long time it will kill your batteries…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00DD3318-E63C-42CA-BE4E-692660FEB18F.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	33744  
Old 09-19-2021, 02:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne&Michael View Post
This has been discussed in numerous threads but I have not found my answer, so I'll just ask the same thing with my particulars ......

my situation.......
All your batteries are dead. How old are they? They may not be able to be returned to service. Charge them and have them load tested.

Your converter is working since "everything comes to life" when you plug into SP, and will charge the house batteries and then the chassis battery if your USE/STORE latching relay is in USE.

Problem is, the power to actuate the USE/STORE latching relay comes from the house batteries - which are dead. So you need to put a dumb battery charger or a jump pack on the house batteries to shift the latching relay to USE and then it will try to charge your batteries.

Speaking of batteries: have you checked their water level lately?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:30 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
To be brutally honest, if you continue to use lead-acid batteries without having a continuous charging source, you are fighting a losing battle.

Finding phantom loads may buy you a little more time, but until you solve the issue of (at minimum) a trickle charge, you're probably going to be repeating your current scenario.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If those are the original batteries and 6 or 7 years old don’t waste the effort to do anything but replacing them.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
I store my 2015 Vegas 24.1 in a warehouse as well. There is power; however, we are not allowed to plug in and walk away from it.

I've been storing there for 3 years. In the winter I'd go over monthly and plug in to boost up the batteries. The house batteries were the original batteries that came new with the RV in 2015 when I bought it.

There are parasitic loads that drain the batteries. The CO detector is wired directly to the house batteries so turning the USE/STORE to Store does not stop the CO detector draining power. The radio clock and preset stations are wired to the chassis battery. If they were wired to the house batteries every time you put the USE/STORE to STORE the radio clock would go to 12:00 and all the radio preselects would disappear.

So last month I decided to replace the almost 7 year old house batteries (and threw in the chassis battery as well). The new house batteries are AGMs and the chassis is a ford heavy duty. I also had my RV technician put knife switches on the hose battery set and also on the chassis battery. Now when I store the RV I open both knife switches and that totally disconnects the house and chassis battery manually. There is NO parasitic load drawing any current.

The warehouse I store in has a water deluge fire suppression system. They heat the warehouse to about 38 degrees to keep the suppression system from freezing. I'll go over about every month when the weather gets cold to see how the batteries hold up with the knife switches open. If the batteries are holding a good charge, I'll check them about every two months and plug in to top them off as bit.

Once you ge the battery discharging straightened out I recommend you also put some kind of manual cutoff switch on the house and chassis batteries.

As an aside: The manager of the storage facility has a camper trailer He's stored in the facility for about 8 years. He has never winterized it and nothing has ever frozen because of the constant 38 degree temp. I've left a water bottle sitting in the RV sink and gone over in the winter after a week of temps in the teens -- the water bottle has never frozen.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #9

THOR #21334
Thanks ALL for the advise, when I plug into SP the 12v LED lights come on and the monitor panel works. I did not try other things. The previous owner told us they replaced the batteries about a year prior, so they would be about 2 yrs old.... I will pull them out to check the dates, and charge them externally,
the house batteries have 8.3 volts, apparently not enough to switch the store/use relay.
the chassis battery is 2.1 v

Yes I have a "dumb" charger, and a GOOD voltmeter.

Where is the 12v fuse center, converter/charger and the store/use relay????

I am going to petition to request using a trickle charger, I own several BatteryTenders, and keep my motorcycles plugged in when ever not riding.
I keep the ACE stored in a warehouse on a military base, and the safety gestapo routinely inspects these storage spaces. years ago someone fried a battery with their built in charger..... now they are forbidden.

I am also going to install the battery disconnect devises.

again, Where is the 12v fuse center, converter/charger and the store/use relay????
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne&Michael View Post
Thanks ALL for the advise, when I plug into SP the 12v LED lights come on and the monitor panel works. I did not try other things. The previous owner told us they replaced the batteries about a year prior, so they would be about 2 yrs old.... I will pull them out to check the dates, and charge them externally,
the house batteries have 8.3 volts, apparently not enough to switch the store/use relay.
the chassis battery is 2.1 v

Yes I have a "dumb" charger, and a GOOD voltmeter.

Where is the 12v fuse center, converter/charger and the store/use relay????

I am going to petition to request using a trickle charger, I own several BatteryTenders, and keep my motorcycles plugged in when ever not riding.
I keep the ACE stored in a warehouse on a military base, and the safety gestapo routinely inspects these storage spaces. years ago someone fried a battery with their built in charger..... now they are forbidden.

I am also going to install the battery disconnect devises.

again, Where is the 12v fuse center, converter/charger and the store/use relay????

Under the bed???
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Do you have a square, brown panel like in the vide above. It might be in the bedroom. Mine in my 2015 Vegas 24.1 is in the hallway just about under the refrigerator.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:19 AM   #12
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
The chassis battery at 2.1V is fried and cannot be relied on. I would not hesitate to replace it ASAP. The house battery will have some sulfide build up, but may last a few more years so long as it does not discharge like this again. The capacity is reduced do the the major discharge. You can install knife switches or the standard 90 degree turn cutoff switches. The batteries will hold up for several months that way. You mat need to plan to bring a good charger with you to top them off every few months. Bring something to eat, drink and read with you. You do have a bathroom so all will be well.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:05 AM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #17950
I have an ACE 30.1 2016 and everything is under the bed. Remove 2 screws and the panel can be removed to expose the water tank and most electrical units.