Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2015, 12:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Michigan
THOR #2614
Axis water pump

The Artis water pump on are 2015 axis failed after 6000 miles. And only very limited use. After reading issue after issue with this brand I decided not to seek warranty repairs but to replace it with something better, has anyone else experienced issues with this pump and what brand would you recommend

Phil

Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
I replaced mine back in the spring after dewinterizing with another Artis (same model) and so far, it's been working fine w/o issue. Think it was my fault the original failed by not leaving antifreeze in the pump when winterized. They're real easy to replace.

Noticed in another thread here today "Camping World" where someone with an Axis replaced theirs with a flojet.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:34 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Oops! Sorry Phil. Just went back to that thread and noticed it was you who purchased the flojet. Hope it works well for you.

BTW, what kind of problem did you have with the Artis original?
Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #1249
My water pump went out after a few months and it was the first pump I have ever had fail on an RV. I replaced it with the same brand and so far it has been ok. The cause of the pump failure was that the brushes were not seated properly on the commentator. The folks at Artis would not cover it under warranty since I was the second owner, no matter that it was a factory defect. Must have been assembled on a Fri.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

THOR #2614
Not sure what the problem with the artis pump was, Larry. But after reading a few post and seeing comments about this brand I decided to go with the pump recommended by a few roadie friends that use the flojet, I waited until it was on sale at CW to buy it.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:23 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
My original pump went out on a trip. I called Thor while traveling and they suggested a local shop (non-Thor) and they replaced the pump with a Flo Jet. It has worked since since then. The original pump was less than six month old. Thor paid for the pump and installation through reimbursement.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #7

THOR #2614
I intend to have CW install the flojet, I had to purchase it before hand because it was on sale and I had a gift certificate that expires 1/2/16. (Not cheap just thrifty ) will take the axis in for the install, then attempt to have Thor warranty it.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I would strongly urge you to have CW diagnose the pump as bad and you have a spare pump to install. Or call Thor and get permission to have CW install it. Thor is not too keen on paying for things they didn't know about. They had no issue paying for and paying for installation of a Flo Jet for me, but they knew about it beforehand.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #9

THOR #2614
Good advice, I will touch base with Thor next week about the pump
Old 01-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
I just read a lot of reviews over several different sites, and I find nothing but good reviews. I have not had a problem, and I hope I don't mine is a WFCO Atris Model: PD51-130-1240E 3.0 gpm / 4.0 gpm at 7.0 amps at 30psi. auto shut off at 40psi. I will keep an eye on it, but the 100's of thousands of these pumps in circulation (pun intended) and what I read is very few complaints.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #11

THOR #2614
Not my intention to knock a certain brand, but for every water pump on the 3 forums I read, Artis is the only one that repeatedly fails, I have been told the reason Thor and other manufactures use it is because it is the least expensive. When I started my search for a replacement two other brands had better reviews and that is why I chose a different brand. This year, Peggy and I plan on taking a long trip out west and plan on boondocking a lot, therefore I don't want any issues, in fact I am having a hand pump installed along with the new flojet.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
THOR #3195
As in all categories on the forums, we hear largely from people that has or had a problem with a product, we hardly ever hear from the good side of a product. I'm only pointing out the obvious. I realize you are unhappy with the product, and I may be too if I had a problem with it. I would even look for a better product. You mention "least expensive", manufactures send information and ask for bids. It's easy to say, pass the increased cost to the buyer, but it doesn't work that way, that overall cost is what the buyer looks at first, not what is in it, they (the buyer) just wants a system that works. So do I, but I also understand "costs" I've had to deal with them for the last 45 years. The company gets what the vendor offered at that lower cost to the company, and that is why the warranty that comes with it. Now as far as design, oh boy, I could go a long way there, I certainly don't agree with much of the, unseen design features of all motorhomes, what were they thinking, a pump 3" away from the converter. OK, wrong thread Happy New Year everyone.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #2123
Yosemitebob,
Your explanation is spot on! If one needs further clarification one only needs to go to their local grocery store.
Most big box store have "their" store brand as compared to the "pioneer" product. WalMart has "Super Value", Costco has "Kirkland", Safeway has "Equaline", etc.
The same with generic medications.
I would imagine is someone had the inkling, and a huge wallet, they could get a motorhome or trailer made with the "best brand" parts. But it would be REALLY expensive!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #14

Model: 42WX
THOR #2610
Noisy Waterpump

We have been on "city" water for a few months now. We decided to try our pump since we will be leaving for 5-6 months beginning of April. The pump is very loud. Is this normal? Do we need to do something special to the pump prior to using it? Or is the pump going bad? Any suggestions/comments will be much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #15

THOR #1249
When mine quit, it just quit running. If yours is still pumping the noise may be from loose mounts and or water hammer making the hard pex lines vibrate against their mounts/floor etc. You could check that out at the pump while it is running and see where the noise originates. I assume you have water in the tank and do not have city water press on at the same time as pump.
Good luck.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #16

Model: 42WX
THOR #2610
We are going to check again. Don't think we had both on, but will double check. I will have him also check mounts. But, it did still produce water....it did not just quit. We are slowly figuring out this RV life.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Consider yourself lucky, when it just stops working. Mine just started to make noise. not only did the bearing freeze, but the diaphragm ruptured. I must had two to three gallons of water under my dinette. Unfortunately the cheap dinette wood soaked up the water. I have water damage. so having a water pump inside the coach no place to drain but inside the coach is not very smart. Thanks Thor. so my next mod will be to mount the water pump under outside the coach. inside it's own box. with acquitted draining system.