Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
2017 Challenger 37LX

I have loooked at every schematic I have but cannot find which fuse is for the outside steps. They are stuck in a partial out/in position.

My son who never pays attention to anything let his shoe come off on the step and instead of picking it up let the step try to retract with it. The step got about 90% in and then just stopped. Now they won't go in or out, I am thinking that maybe a fuse blew. I check out everything underneath but see nothing that stands out. The light comes on which is telling me that the controller knows the steps are out.

Does anyone know what fuse number it could be. There are no diagrams or schematics on the fuse cover and they are not marked.

Any other suggestions are also helpful.

Thanks All

2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I'm a non electrical guy, so I don't know if this helps or not. I have the same model/year as yours. Got this from Thor. It shows the step disconnect, maybe it also shows what you're looking for.

If you need the PDF I'd be glad to email it. This is a screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	7053  
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #3

THOR #3920
Thank you. I have that one and a bunch more. I was hoping for the layout of the fuses under the dash by the drivers left foot. There are a bunch of fuses but none of them marked
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

Old 09-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #4

THOR #7863
Ok sorry, figured it was a long shot but wanted to try to help. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
There should be a fuse, circuit breaker box, that Thor installed, may in the bedroom area. More likely the step fuse or breaker would be there.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #6

THOR #3920
I appreciate the help. I have a bad feeling I am going to have to get a new motor. Luckily I can find them relatively inexpensive. The entire motor and gear assembly from Lippert is $250. I’ll troubleshoot as much as possible and then break down and get it before the trip next month.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:32 AM   #7

THOR #7863
Is your 2017 out of warranty?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #8

THOR #3920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Is your 2017 out of warranty?
Yes, it went out of warranty in June but I do have a 7 year extended warranty. For smaller things, I always fix them myself because getting an appointment with the dealer is damn near impossible plus if I do it, then I know it's done right. I just save the warranty for the large items.

It's no biggie really but I am just wondering what could have happened with his shoe keeping it from retracting all the way. Did it strip a gear, blow a fuse, screw up the motor? I really have no idea at this point. I am just trying to eliminate the simple things right now.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
In our coach (2015 Challenger 37TB), the fuses are located in the bedroom at the foot of the bed. I'd get a small multimeter and check the current at the step motor. Probably will be 12v but it really doesn't matter how much. If you have power there, you can begin to suspect the motor. If there isn't power there, I'd take the same multimeter and check each fuse in the fuse panel for a complete circuit. I've learned the hard way not to trust the labeling on the fuse panel. This is reason I recommend checking each fuse.

On our coach, I am positive there is a circuit that looks at the position of ignition key located back at the fuse panel mentioned earlier (it locks out our slide/awning when ignition key is on). That logic runs through the Easy Camp Module.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #10

THOR #3920
Ok, so I checked out as much as I could and then decided to call Lippert. I explained what happened and how my son's shoe was left on the steps as they tried to retract them. The first thought was that the motor stripped a gear inside (which it apparently did). I did everything they told me, disconnect the motor, open and close the door 5-10 times which should reset the controller. hooked up the motor again and the steps came down. First thought was "Hell Yeah, they work" (short lived). I closed the door and the steps made it about 85% up and then what sounded like a grinding sound. It eventually stopped.

I took the pin out from the steps and opened/closed the door several times, the motor ran all the way in and out like it should. I hand held it by the bracket and it made the same grinding sound with little effort from me. I hooked the steps back up and they only went about 85% in, but with the help of my foot, they went all the way up. Seems like the weight of the steps is now too much for the motor.

So now I have a new motor on order which should be a quick replacement job. Three bolts, connect the wire and it should be done.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:02 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Glad you got it figured out! Is your son able to walk ok on crutches?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:29 AM   #12

THOR #3920
Lol, no crutches ... yet.