Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #27785
No power to inverter, radio doesn’t work, generator doesn’t start

Dealer had my RV for over 10 months changing the microwave and the radio/camera system. On the way home we stopped for gas, turned of the engine and after refueling it would’nt start. We had been driving over an hour, figured the battery was off, jumped it and continued home. Put a charger on the battery and things seemed ok. Next day dead again only this time no power to inverter or dash radio. Now I notice generator won’t turn over/no power at all. Got new chassis battery and starts fine… still no power to inverter and dash radio, generator won’t start still…Sounds like a fuse but checked everyone I could find. What am I missing?

Old 08-25-2022, 08:46 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Battery is probably toast. Have battery checked.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. You do not mention the year, make and model of your coach, but the loads you mention specifically run off the coach (house batteries) typically. After 10 months of sitting idle/uncharged they are probably dead. If they are dead you may have to charge them using a stand alone battery charger (or boost) in case your use/store latching relay does not operate (close) because of the dead battery condition. Normally when on SP (shore power) you must turn on the use/store switch in order to charge coach batteries. Depending on the coach power configuration SP can charge both coach and chassis batteries and/or when engine is running the alternator can charge both batteries also.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:48 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Sounds like you've discovered the perils of leaving your rig sitting on a dealer lot for that long. Guaranteed dead batteries... unless you had solar.

If I EVER take my motorhome back to a dealer for any kind of service, I'll keep it in my possession until about two days before the appointment. If they can't at least be that organized, I CERTAINLY don't want them touching my rig!
Old 08-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #5

THOR #27785
Thanks for the welcome

I have a 2016 Thor Hurricane 34J
I also like to call my motorhome the “money pit”
Old 08-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #6

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab777115 View Post
Dealer had my RV for over 10 months changing the microwave and the radio/camera system. On the way home we stopped for gas, turned of the engine and after refueling it would’nt start. We had been driving over an hour, figured the battery was off, jumped it and continued home. Put a charger on the battery and things seemed ok. Next day dead again only this time no power to inverter or dash radio. Now I notice generator won’t turn over/no power at all. Got new chassis battery and starts fine… still no power to inverter and dash radio, generator won’t start still…Sounds like a fuse but checked everyone I could find. What am I missing?
It's hard to say for sure without knowing what kind of rig we are talking about here, but it does not sound like a fuse at all. It sounds like your house battery bank is completely dead. What you mentioned are all symptoms you might see if the house batteries are dead. Your rig probably sat not being worked on for most of those 10 months and they likely never turned off any of the disconnects which expedited the trashing of the batteries. Turning off the disconnects likely would not have saved the batteries over the course of 10 months though. The other thing is make sure your disconnect switch is ON if you want the battery to charge. Many if not most are wired in such a way that if the disconnect is OFF the house batteries will not charge whether on shore power, generator power, or engine power. Check the water level in the batteries but they are likely beyond resuscitation.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab777115 View Post
Not a fuse, your house batteries are dead. Charge them, test them replace if necessary. I assume you know about using the battery disconnect (USE/STORE switch)?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:13 AM   #8

THOR #27785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not a fuse, your house batteries are dead. Charge them, test them replace if necessary. I assume you know about using the battery disconnect (USE/STORE switch)?
Yes I do… getting new house batteries …thanks for your help😁
Old 09-24-2022, 02:10 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Kentucky
THOR #28051
I just bought a 2015 Four Winds 35SK and it has the same issues. The generator will not start, with no light on the rocker switch at the generator. The Axxera AV614BH radio/video/dash cam has no power, so none of that works. Reading both house batteries, while everything is still hooked to them in the footwell box, they both read 13.2 volts. The coach has been unused for a year at the previous owners house. He said that all batteries had been replaced. Do I need to disconnect all wires from both batteries to get a true read? I also have an issue with the LCI self leveling system. Upon startup of the coach, there is a beep every 30 seconds. The previous owner told me to reset the system each time to stop the beep. This works, but seems like a step that shouldn’t be required. Is the leveler system getting errors on start up because it may be attached to the wrong circuit that is switched with the ignition, or should it be on a constant on circuit. Owner had a new Xantrex 2000 watt inverter installed. Multiple electric system gremlins that I am trying to resolve. Obviously the generator and dash multiplex system are the most frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:52 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJDour View Post
I just bought a 2015 Four Winds 35SK and it has the same issues. The generator will not start, with no light on the rocker switch at the generator. The Axxera AV614BH radio/video/dash cam has no power, so none of that works. Reading both house batteries, while everything is still hooked to them in the footwell box, they both read 13.2 volts. The coach has been unused for a year at the previous owners house. He said that all batteries had been replaced. Do I need to disconnect all wires from both batteries to get a true read? I also have an issue with the LCI self leveling system. Upon startup of the coach, there is a beep every 30 seconds. The previous owner told me to reset the system each time to stop the beep. This works, but seems like a step that shouldn’t be required. Is the leveler system getting errors on start up because it may be attached to the wrong circuit that is switched with the ignition, or should it be on a constant on circuit. Owner had a new Xantrex 2000 watt inverter installed. Multiple electric system gremlins that I am trying to resolve. Obviously the generator and dash multiplex system are the most frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Unplug the MH from SP.
Keep the engine off
Attempt to switch the USE/STORE switch to USE
Do interior lights work?
Now what do your house batteries read with a voltmeter?

You may have other issues but you first have to see if you have well charged house batteries.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #11

THOR #27785
Update

I downloaded the schematics from Thor…. I had the batteries hooked up wrong … learning to use the multimeter helped immensely…. I have power to the inverter but the display isn’t lighting up… I’m going underneath and tracking it down… there are some fuses through out the coach on wires etc. I have the same problem with my leveler and have to reset each time. I’ve had it serviced but they never seem to fix it completely. Tracing the lines made me find a wire that was completely chewed up, I fused that back together and I’m still not sure what it went to. I’m learning so much about my rig, by trying to find the answers to all my problems so I’m considering this all good! These forums are the greatest! Thanks so much all who suggested answers. I refuse to take it in to the shop until I’m convinced I can’t fix it😁
Old 09-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #12

THOR #28051
Off SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Unplug the MH from SP.
Keep the engine off
Attempt to switch the USE/STORE switch to USE
Do interior lights work?
Now what do your house batteries read with a voltmeter?

You may have other issues but you first have to see if you have well charged house batteries.
No SP. Battery Use switched on, and have been using slides, lights,etc yesterday and this morning. Both batteries are now reading 12.1 volts.

Also tried the Jenson radio on the MBR wall. No power there either.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:48 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
No SP. Battery Use switched on, and have been using slides, lights,etc yesterday and this morning. Both batteries are now reading 12.1 volts.

Also tried the Jenson radio on the MBR wall. No power there either.
OK, batteries are supplying the DC buss.
Plug into SP and verify the converter is working by remeasuring the house batteries, should be at least in the 13 volt area.

Now, the generator and levelers:
Both receive power from the house batteries through a 100 amp DC breaker which is near the house batteries and looks like:

If the flag is visible, push it back in to reset it. If not, push the button to trip it, then reset it. Use your voltmeter to verify 12+ VDC on both main contacts. If no 12 VDC on either side trace the battery side cable back and verify it is connected to a + terminal on one of the house batteries.

The radio probably just needs to be reset, or they may have blown a fuse local to the radio.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #14

THOR #28051
Maybe a bigger issue

I just tried to connect to a 20 amp circuit and it kicks the GFCI. I will need to move this to my barn and try to connect to my 50 amp plug there, but need to move my trailer out first. My 100 amp connector does not have the test button on it, but the flag is not out. Thanks
Old 09-24-2022, 05:31 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I just tried to connect to a 20 amp circuit and it kicks the GFCI. I will need to move this to my barn and try to connect to my 50 amp plug there, but need to move my trailer out first. My 100 amp connector does not have the test button on it, but the flag is not out. Thanks
You can still check the voltage to ground on either side of the breaker. Should be house battery voltage.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #16

THOR #28051
Plugged into my 50 amp shore power circuit. Both batteries are now reading 12.4, up from the 12.1 this morning, so they look like they are charging. They were at 13.2 a couple of days ago while plugged into a 20 amp shore power outlet at the sellers house when I picked it up.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Plugged into my 50 amp shore power circuit. Both batteries are now reading 12.4, up from the 12.1 this morning, so they look like they are charging. They were at 13.2 a couple of days ago while plugged into a 20 amp shore power outlet at the sellers house when I picked it up.
I suspect the 12.4 VDC was a result of the engine alternator charging when you moved the MH. If you are plugged into SP with the USE/STORE switch in USE and you don't have charging voltage in the 13s then the converter is not charging the batteries. On the DC fuse center there should be 2 40 amp fuse which are the reverse polarity fuses - verify they are good.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #18

THOR #28051
I will have to check that tomorrow, as I had to stop today for a family commitment. I believe that the Use/Store switch was in Store position while attached to SP but will verify tomorrow. I really appreciate the advice. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:38 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I will have to check that tomorrow, as I had to stop today for a family commitment. I believe that the Use/Store switch was in Store position while attached to SP but will verify tomorrow. I really appreciate the advice. Thanks.
The ONLY time it should be in STORE is when the MH is stored for more than a day or two WITHOUT SP connected.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #20

THOR #28051
Just put switch in USE position while on shore power and read 13.1 V at each battery. I have current on both sides of the DC breaker. On the Magnum Auto Gen Start switch that is in the stairwell starts flashing green when I push it, and eventually switches to solid red, although the Magnum auto generator start that is in the storage compartment with the Xantrex inverter shows a green “ready” light. There is still no light on the rocker switch on the generator control panel. I thought I would try to remove this panel to check fuses that are shown on the cover as being in there. I can also test the breaker for continuity. If there is something else that I should check, either before or after, would be happy to do that. Thanks

Tags
chassis battery, inverter, power