Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Illinois
THOR #6402
Backup Camera - No Signal

I have a new 2017 Thor Axis 25.2 . I love the backup and side mirror cameras. My radio is a Axxera AV615BHM. This morning when I tried to turn on the backup camera from the touch screen, it says No Signal. This is extremely frustrating. It was 29 degrees out this morning, but I assume it should work. I turned off the house power switch and turned it back on to see if restarting the radio would help. I tried blinkers to see if side cameras would work. Nothing does. Could it be a fuse somewhere? Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I had, actually still have, this problem.

Since you are losing all 3 cameras, it is likely the connection to the radio wire. Look underneath the dash for a common audio/visual patch cord connection. I had to jiggle/twist this connection on more than one occasion, especially after driving bumpy roads. I may try and tape the 2 together. Fortunately, mine does not seem to be the connection to the back of the radio which I do not have as much access too, the wires I need to deal with are hanging down lower.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I have a story about these 'backup camera video systems'...

since I sometimes deliver brand new coaches from several of the factories to dealers, I also 'assume' that everything should be in working order... however...

- the first Fleetwood unit I ever picked up for delivery had a dead, non working, backup camera from the get go... even though they said they would send out a tech to repair it, I declined to transport the unit.

- I then picked up a Newmar unit to deliver. 50 miles up the road it's camera also went dead. While I stayed on the phone for 30 minutes while waiting on someone at the company's tech line for help, when they did finally get to me, they realized that there was not much they could do while I was driving, and it would take stopping at an 'authorized' dealer, somewhere along the way, to try to fix it. I declined the help and decided to deliver the unit anyway, with the dealer's understanding of the situation, and another 600 miles of driving. When stopping for fuel, I had to ask an employee of the station to help me exit since I couldn't see from the rear of the unit. I eventually made the delivery, without having to back up again.

...on my own diesel pusher, I had the same issue, but after 50,000 miles and 2 1/2 years of traveling all over the US and some of Canada - the backup camera video went dead. Fortunately, the original company replaced it at no cost... though now the volume knob does not work for the radio/CD player - oh, well, I can live with that as long as I have the backup camera system working : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Ours is intermittent also. Seems to be the video output cable/connection between the switcher and radio. Sometimes it is working fine and still get the no signal.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
Earlier this month I took my Vegas into the dealer for warranty work. One issue is the radio does not turn on. It was cold that day and after the heater warmed it up to point that it turned back on..... Its a AXXERA AV614BH.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
I agree with scrubjaysnest. It sounds like the switching unit or the input from the switching unit to the radio. If you have something else that has a video input (is a small TV with audio/video input) you could unplug the video plug from the radio and connect to the monitor.

It is just a normal RCA plug and easy to do. It would definitely isolate the culprit.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I had the same problem with our 29M. Thought I had the problem fixed when I found a big bundle of loose wires in the back. Problem started again. I pulled the radio and found camera feed on back of unit loose, plenty of slack in the wires to pull out radio if you do it slowly.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
I have the same problem on the ACE. I have had it fixed a coupe of times now.

The problem is in the dash. I can pound on the dash to get it working again. Initially I was worried it was a wiring problem elsewhere in the coach. The dealer said they strapped things together better. But it looks like those connections keep coming loose.

I am getting it fixed again and letting the factory look at it in May.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have found that occasionally mine will die. If I cycle power to the coach.... as in press the "store" disconnect switch and wait several seconds before "re-booting". Sometimes the cameras will come back online with that.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #10

THOR #6402
Angry

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday, I tried everthing from making sure the fuse was ok to turning off and on the house switch to pressing the reset button on the radio to checking the connections under the dash. Still No Signal. This is very frustrating on a brand new coach, AND it's a safety issue. I purchased my Axis because I was impressed by so many features, including the rear and side cameras. I tow a Jeep Wrangler. I like to check on it. Backing the coach out of storage is much easier with the camera. From the replies, this radion/camera solution appears to be a cheap unreliable solution. I will try to hook the signal cable to a tv or something. Where is this switching unit some of you have referred to?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 36TL
THOR #5536
I HAD the same issue..

Don't have it any more now that I don't depend on the Axxera or the switching unit under the dash! We installed a separate monitor and it works so much better. It's a bigger screen, always on, and you don't have to worry about depending on the Axxera except for the radio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3429.JPG
Views:	880
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	4148
Old 03-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Love your setup oldgold. Can I ask what you used? Thank you!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiersma View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yesterday, I tried everthing from making sure the fuse was ok to turning off and on the house switch to pressing the reset button on the radio to checking the connections under the dash. Still No Signal. This is very frustrating on a brand new coach, AND it's a safety issue. I purchased my Axis because I was impressed by so many features, including the rear and side cameras. I tow a Jeep Wrangler. I like to check on it. Backing the coach out of storage is much easier with the camera. From the replies, this radion/camera solution appears to be a cheap unreliable solution. I will try to hook the signal cable to a tv or something. Where is this switching unit some of you have referred to?
On my 2016 VEGAS it is under the cover on top on the dash where the speedometer is. It is a box screwed to a wooden support with rca plugs for input/ouput
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 36TL
THOR #5536
Backup Camera - No Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
Love your setup oldgold. Can I ask what you used? Thank you!
Im trying to copy it over... hopefully this works.

Name:	IMG_3429.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	4160

Name:	IMG_3430.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	4161

Name:	IMG_3431.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	4162

I bought everything from www.rearviewsafety.com. Here is the parts list from them. Also you will need 18ga butt connectors.

Name:	Image1488887332.942064.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	4163

I tied the power supply into the incoming power wires to the dash fan switch. This makes the screen only power up when the RV is running or in the on position and it was the easiest to steal power from.

Unplug the wiring harness to the dash fans. Crank up the RV and use a volt meter to test which wires are hot. My wires were two of the multi color wires. Make sure you have correct polarity. Turn RV off double check with volt meter to make sure no volts before cutting. Cut wires about a foot away from the switch and tap into them with the power leads on the wiring harness for the screen. Once tied back together, make sure your dash fans still work.

On the back of the Axxera there is a video cable. Follow it backwards till you locate a black box with 4 inputs and one output. This is the video switch box. It is about the size of a deck of cards.

Unplug the 3 video feeds at the ASA connections. Note which ones are CA 1,2,&3. On my unit CA1 was left, CA2 was right and CA3 was rear. You might have to switch them back around if the wires are mislabeled or different. Plug the incoming video feeds into the screen harness using the adapters which are 5 round female to ASA female. At this point you can turn on the screen and make sure your feeds are the correct camera label on screen. Turn it back off.

Next, the 4th cable hitting the switch box is the trigger wire set. Follow it out from the switch box to the backside of a connector plug. There will be multi color wires before the connector and should be labeled CA 1,2,&3 as well. On my unit, the wire colors actually matched the colors on the screen harness. Hopefully they will on all units. Cut these 3 wires. Use a butt connector to attach each of them to their corresponding video trigger wire on the harness.

Power on the screen and TEST, TEST, TEST!!!

The blinkers on the RV should trigger the corresponding side camera. Shifting the RV to reverse should trigger the rear camera.

I unplugged the harness from the screen and then ran the cord thru the hole just above the left corner of the Axxera. This way you don't have to drill thru the dash cap.

Mount the bracket arm. I chose the flat spot just above right of the HDMI port. MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING BEHIND IT BEFORE YOU SCREW ON THE BASE!! I installed the screen on the bracket arm with the thumb turn facing down so you can get to it to tighten.

That should be it. Congratulations, you now don't have a crappy Axxera as an issue anymore for video feeds!! Lmao... Let me know if y'all have any questions... I tried to be fairly thorough. I highly suggest looking under the dash before ordering everything. As much as manufacturers switch stuff around, it would be a PITA to get all this stuff and not have the correct adapters.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #15

THOR #6402
[ATTACH]4256[/ATTACH
Here's an update... I called Thor Tech Support. They said before going for service, check that the video cable didn't come loose (just like many of you said). The cable between the radio and the switcher IS connected. I also followed the suggestion of using a TV with video input, and it does not work either. See image attached of the switcher in the hatch compartment in front of the instrument panel. I think either it's dead or the power to it is. The wiring goes into a big hardness, so I couldn't trace it any farther. I've checked some fuses. Anyone know where the fuse for this would be. Also, could someone else look at their switcher and see if lights go on? I get no lights. Thanks - Howie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	switcher.jpg
Views:	2655
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	4256  
Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #16

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
I feel your pain

Howie,
I am going through the same problem with same radio model. I have a couple threads started about it. Have you pulled the radio from the dash yet? On the right rear of the radio there is a plug that connects the video feeds. Mine only used the yellow one. The red wire from that feed that went into the white plug to the radio was very loose. I had to push it back in and it locked. I also found a wire butt connection that came loose for the brake switch connection. The connections on the camera switch box are threaded. Mine were loose at all four connections. I put tape on all the push type video connections. I had all my cameras working correctly for a short time before the whole unit went dead. I hope some one can tell us what fuse protects the radio.

Shawn
Old 03-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #17

THOR #6199
Howie,

My switcher has no lights. Just dots that look like they could be lights.

Shawn
Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #18

THOR #6402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Howie,
I am going through the same problem with same radio model. I have a couple threads started about it. Have you pulled the radio from the dash yet? On the right rear of the radio there is a plug that connects the video feeds. Mine only used the yellow one. The red wire from that feed that went into the white plug to the radio was very loose. I had to push it back in and it locked. I also found a wire butt connection that came loose for the brake switch connection. The connections on the camera switch box are threaded. Mine were loose at all four connections. I put tape on all the push type video connections. I had all my cameras working correctly for a short time before the whole unit went dead. I hope some one can tell us what fuse protects the radio.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn. I am calling Thor tomorrow morning and see what I can find out. I will keep you posted. Very frustrated because my first real trip is in a couple weeks.

Howie
Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #19

THOR #6199
I sent Thor and my dealer an email. We will see what happens. I will let you know. I still have to try hooking up a stand alone monitor.

Shawn.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #20

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
House Voltage

Did your house battery voltage ever get low hpiersma? I find it very ironic that not only you, but others are having similar issues that MANY of us had with the JRV212. After reading all the posts and my own experience I believe this is somehow tied to low house batteries (see posts). When the voltage gets very low or dies it causes something to happen in these radios/cameras that was never addressed. This may not be the case with yours but definitely something to look at.