Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Bad Thumb Cam Locks on '13 class C

Just discovered a faulty issue that I should not be having yet. Just wanted to give you all a heads up to check your latches.

I had my coach in for repair of rot in the back wall. On one of the several calls that it was ready to pickup, but was not really.... I found another issue that should have been addressed while it was there. I found a bunch of water in my rear outside storage bin. CW later said they "resealed, but never found a leak". I figured they likely left it open and outside....

so fast forward, damp in there again, but not nearly as wet.... so I investigate. Turns out, that with the help of my kids who are small enough to fit in there with a flashlight, the thumb latches are leaking. through the obviously failed gaskets

Easy to fix, except I'm a bit concerned about what this door is made out of and if it is rotted from a long term leak.

Anyone know what the door core is made out of? i plan to pull the latch out asap to see if I can verify rot, and also to see if I can just get gaskets of some sort at the hardware store..... (or figure out the maker of the latches and call them)

So of course Thor tells me to take a number
and CW won't do anything to grease the skids. Have to make an appointment, coordinate getting the coach out of storage and to them, probably wait weeks for them to order the parts, etc.... ugh....
I really don't want to buy a dozen of these things.
and I also have a few other equally as easy issues, that if they would just send me the parts I would have done over a beer or two.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

THOR #908
answered my own question, well at least part of them....
The door is foam core. Not a high quality foam either, think cheap ice cooler foam..... or styrofoam cup foam.

So the side related issue is that since there is absolutely nothing structural for these locks and latches to tighten against, they will be forever working themselves loose at the foam fails under compression. Just WOW! Well at least they didn't use untreated wood or interior grade plywood like I was expecting. I guess I'm happy since I at least have something to work with.....
Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I thought about using a wider washer like a fender type more area to mount to. maybe it will last a little longer. But until then I will keep using WD40 on the inside fro now. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Epoxy to the rescue...

I would coat the inside surfaces of the hole with epoxy. Even perhaps dig out a bit of the styrofoam and make a tube out of blue tape and put it in the hole so it makes a dam of sorts.

Then get a glue syringe and fill the void with epoxy. You would be creating a plug of sorts where there is enough solid area to cinch a bolt against.

A derivative of this technique is common in the boating industry.

Like this:

Might be a fairly involved project though - especially if you remove the doors to route out the voids.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

THOR #908
That seems like a great idea! I was thinking up different ways of doing something similar. My mind kept going to a bushing or piece of tubing inserted, but I have been considering that I likely would never find just the right size.
I like your idea....
Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #6

THOR #908
As I was looking at the foam earlier, I was thinking... "yet another example of a bad design".
I was spit balling what might be a better idea would be for a manufacturer to create a frame around the central foam core, much like a hollow core door is made, except this frame would be made out of a non-rotting material, perhaps HDPE sheets 1inch thick or whatever appropriate for the door surrounding the "structural" foam board instead of a hollow core....
Seems to me that especially if bought in bulk, such a frame could be had for just dollars, in the single digits.... not adding any significant money to the selling price.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #7

THOR #908
fw28Z, what do you use for your drawings? really great!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
The idea actually comes from the boating world. Generally boats have a composite core in their hulls and decking consisting of balsa wood or foam coring sandwiched between an outer and inner layer of fiberglass. This is done for strength and to keep the boat light.

Where they have thru-hull fittings (deck cleats, or whatever), they either don't put coring in that area but put a plywood backing in place of the coring, or they make an epoxy tube like I showed through the balsa or foam coring.

I simply use Microsoft Paintbrush for the drawings, if you can believe that.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 AM   #9

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #1393
This is a great example why I think this forum is the best! Nice job FW28z!!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Maybe I won't be using a 1/8 inch diamond plate for a cargo door.