Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2018, 04:27 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #10562
Batteries in the Cabin

Hey all... My new Gemini Cabin Batteries seems to drain and shut down after a little more then 24 hrs inactivity... any knowledge or suggestions on rectifying this situation? It shuts off my fridge as well, until I come out and start the engine... in minutes everything back on and power supply is back up.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdriver View Post
Hey all... My new Gemini Cabin Batteries seems to drain and shut down after a little more then 24 hrs inactivity... any knowledge or suggestions on rectifying this situation? It shuts off my fridge as well, until I come out and start the engine... in minutes everything back on and power supply is back up.
So the only thing you have drawing power that you know is your refrigerator and the batts go dead in 24 hours? Sounds right off that your house batteries are bad and will not hold a charge. I would have them checked first.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:17 AM   #3

THOR #10562
Thank you... I will... however they are relatively new. They seem to hold a charge after starting... all thru the night. But if left alone it goes down to shut off level
Old 02-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
What is powering your fridge? On my 31W it's the 12v batteries via an inverter. Which most people get less than 8 hours. Are you on 12v, propane, ?
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

THOR #10562
Use... 12V and propane! I will check Batteries today... perhaps I can get better Batteries
Old 02-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
May not apply to your coach, but our Hurricane has the fridge wired to the inverter so that it can run on 120 volts while traveling. But if I don’t switch it from “Auto” to “Gas” or turn off the inverter, it’ll run the batteries down pretty quickly when the engine is stopped and not plugged into AC.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
When you say "drain and shut down" are you meaning you don't even have enough for interior lights or are you determining that by the fridge shutting off? If you have an inverter for the fridge it is designed to shut off before draining your batteries, at least that's the way mine works.

I have a residential fridge and it would shut off after about 10 hours. I replaced the poor quality batteries that came with the coach with 4-6 volt batteries. I now get over 24 hours with no concern.

I used to have an older coach that did not have the residential fridge. I either ran it on LP or electric. I always ran on LP until I reached the campground. Then I would switch it to electric.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
You have a 3-way fridge: LP/120 VAC/12 VDC. I see no mention of an inverter in your Gemini.

Are you leaving your fridge on 12 VDC? If so, depending on outside temps and battery capacity, it will only run for a few hours before draining your batteries.

As I recall when I had a 3-way fridge you can set the "Auto" feature to shift to either LP or 12 VDC when 120 VAC is not available.

When running the engine, 12 VDC is fine but otherwise if no 120 VAC is available it needs to be on LP.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I agree. I had the 3 Way system on my first Class B and I could never figure out what the 12v setting was for. My first Class C And Axis only have a 2 way (propane and 120v). Running even a small refrigerator on 12v will run down your batteries in a very short time and the fridge does not cool very well either. The only time the 12v was useful to me was on a ferry where I had to shut off my propane.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It would seem that the 12 volt setting; best serves the purpose of selling new (or additional) batteries.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #11

THOR #10562
Nice info... very helpful... thank you so much... super cool forum!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
If your refrigerator is like ours, its a three way, will run on 120 Volts, 12 volts or LP. When you are parked run your refrigerator on LP, if you are not on shore power. I run mine off the inverter on 120 volts, while I'm underway, but if I am going to be parked for any period of time, I switch it to LP.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #13

THOR #9522
To me the 12V setting (which I have never had FYI) is for when you are travelling and don't want the propane on for safety. Be interesting to know if 12V via a gasoline engine or direct propane is cheaper. Obviously depends on gas and propane costs. Irrelevant for me since mine only runs on 120 via the inverter.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 02-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #14

THOR #5821
My guess is running the refrigerator on 120 volts is a bit more efficient than running on 12 volts. If I'm running mine off batteries, I always run it on 120 volts off the inverter. While underway, IMO that's the way to run it, as the engine alternator recharges the batteries as anything IE: the refrigerator, draws power from them.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #15

THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
as the engine alternator recharges the batteries as anything IE: the refrigerator, draws power from them.
And since the engine is running anyway that power is free! NOT!

I had a long discussion with a Volt owner about using regenerative braking to charge his battery while flat towing a Volt (Which you cannot do FYI). He couldn't get it that the RV would burn more fuel because of the drag of the regenerative braking.

they breed too!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #16

THOR #5821
No such thing as free power, but replacing what little the refrigerator uses is pretty trivial.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #17

THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
No such thing as free power, but replacing what little the refrigerator uses is pretty trivial.
True I'm talking kilowatts to charge an EV battery. Although my residential fridge draws about 700 watts when it's running. That's an extra hp on the engine.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 02-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
And since the engine is running anyway that power is free! NOT!

I had a long discussion with a Volt owner about using regenerative braking to charge his battery while flat towing a Volt (Which you cannot do FYI). He couldn't get it that the RV would burn more fuel because of the drag of the regenerative braking.

they breed too!
LOL What does he think it means by "braking"??
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #19

THOR #9522
We also discussed windmills mounted to the car roof to generate power while the vehicle was moving.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV