Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2019, 12:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kentucky
THOR #16261
Batteries not charging from any source

Hey everyone, I am a technician buy trade , and I understand that my batteries on my 2003 hurricane 33sl charge from land power , generator, and / or the alternator. When plugged to land my converter has 13.7 volts , the same when I run generator , but my batteries stay at 12.5 volts. When I start the engine , my chassis battery does not get a charge from the alternator ,neither does the coach batteries. I checked the alternator and it is putting out 14.5 volts. What am I missing that is causing none of my batteries to receive a charge . I'm a new owner and know nothing about an RV as far as how the system is set up. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Batteries not charging from any source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcolonel69 View Post
Hey everyone, I am a technician buy trade , and I understand that my batteries on my 2003 hurricane 33sl charge from land power , generator, and / or the alternator. When plugged to land my converter has 13.7 volts , the same when I run generator , but my batteries stay at 12.5 volts. When I start the engine , my chassis battery does not get a charge from the alternator ,neither does the coach batteries. I checked the alternator and it is putting out 14.5 volts. What am I missing that is causing none of my batteries to receive a charge . I'm a new owner and know nothing about an RV as far as how the system is set up. Thanks for any help.

Check the Use/Store switch on side wall along entry steps...
Must be in USE for the coach batteries to be in the circuit to be charged by any of those sources.
Your 12v lights will be powered by the converter when on shore power or genny - so common to miss the fact the switch is in Store...

Doesn’t answer the chassis battery not charging from alternator...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:10 AM   #3

THOR #16261
Now let me clarify , are those the 2 switches that say chassis connect and coach connect , I have both switches turned on as I would think , with the green light on and the red light on. Is there another switch somewhere? Why would my chassis battery be disconnected from the alternator?
Old 08-07-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I can't comment on you specific coach or even a coach of your vintage, but generally between the converter and the house batteries there is a battery disconnect known as a Salesman Switch or USE/STORE switch which disconnects the batteries from the DC buss. That switch (which actually controls a remote solenoid) must be closed of in the USE positions for the batteries to be charged from the converter. Their may also be one for the chassis battery.

There is also a 50 or 100 amp DC breaker between the house batteries and the DC buss/converter - make sure it is not tripped.

Now once you get the house batteries charging from the converter and the chassis battery charging from the alternator you can run down the cross-connect charging system which may consist of a BIRD (Bidirectional Relay with Delay) and Trombetta or a Battery Isolation Manager (BIM). The Trombetta (basically an isolation relay) commonly fails either by the solenoid activator or by the internal contacts.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:16 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Now let me clarify , are those the 2 switches that say chassis connect and coach connect , I have both switches turned on as I would think , with the green light on and the red light on. Is there another switch somewhere? Why would my chassis battery be disconnected from the alternator?
Don't trust the lights as an indication the switch/relay is closed; push the button to close them.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
On 2003, yes.. two switches - one for chassis and one for coach (newer rigs eliminated the chassis switch).

Even with light on for coach switch, press to insure it is really on.
It lies (actually gets power from converter...)

But if engine starts, the chassis switch obviously on, and alternator should be charging the chassis battery...
there is other circuitry to join the coach and chassis batteries for charging or emergency start, but shouldn’t stop alternator from charging chassis battery.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Do you know which battery control system the 2003 Hurricane uses? Do you have two switches for battery power near the door or somewhere in the coach (one for chassis battery and one for coach batteries)? I think in 2006 + the Hurricane was using the RV Custom Products BCC which had a latching relay for each of Chassis and Coach batteries. That BCC looks like a black box and is typically mounted in the engine bay of class A's. Usually its a failed latching relay or resettable breaker between the converter and chassis batteries......or failed latching relay between alternator and chassis battery......located in the RV Custom BCC. If you don't have that system then some tracing wires may be required. Also check you alternator connections......normally I would think a fusible link is about the only thing between an alternator and chassis battery but I don't have a Ford F53 alternator schematic either.

Picture of a typical RV Custom BCC is attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Custom Product BCC Picture.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	19461  
Old 08-07-2019, 01:24 AM   #8

THOR #2631
My previous post should have said failed latching relay or re-settable breaker between converter and coach batteries.....not chassis battery.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:30 AM   #9

THOR #2631
Sounds like you may have some version of the RV Custom BCC......does this schematic help a bit.....there are documents on line that add more details of how this BCC functions also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Custom Products Schematic.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	19462  
Old 08-07-2019, 01:35 AM   #10

THOR #16261
I think I found it

Guys after reading your response , I went out and looked at switches. The one I was over looking was the one that looks like a light switch. I started the Genny and had no 12 volt power and started flipping switches by the door and whamo , I heard the Genny load up and the kitchen lights came on. I'll have to check the alternator tommorow but I hope that takes care of them all. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #11

THOR #16261
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Sounds like you may have some version of the RV Custom BCC......does this schematic help a bit.....there are documents on line that add more details of how this BCC functions also.
Thanks I'll probably be needing that.