Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum WS31
State: Maryland
THOR #11765
Batteries not holding a charge

I have a 2017 Quantum WS31, when we purchased it the shore power cord had a burnt plug, during warranty repairs the power cord was replaced. It seems that since then the coach batteries aren’t charging. Had it in for service and they replaced the batteries, 70 amp type 3 cab and the input/output solenoid. It is continuing to do the same thing. Once we disconnect from shore power, turn on the inverter to keep the fridge running it takes less then a minute for the voltage to drop to about 11.4 volts and not power the fridge. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Also was wondering if the 5100 series Auto Transfer Relay box would have anything to do with this, it seems that the problem started after the power cord was replaced. When plugged into shore power, the batteries read 13.6 volts, with sore power removed the batteries read 12.8, but starts to drop immediately, and if the inverter is powered, it drops even faster. Thoughts

Old 07-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Ummm... What kind of replacement batteries were installed?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

THOR #11765
Not really sure, the only sticker on it has D27DC160, when I checked the internet it could be a heartland (?) brand. However trying to check the water levels and maintain the batteries (based on how they are mounted under the steps) I’m am seriously considering replacing these with an AGM type battery. But I would still need to rectify the issue with the batteries either draining down, or not charging.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
For dry camping with a residential refrig you will need about a 400 aH battery bank, 4 golf cart batteries, an inverter/charger that will produce about 60 amps DC and run the ginny for about 6 hours per day.

If the refrig is LP/120vac then a 200 aH battery bank should be fine using LP any time you are camped.

If you have the original converter as a 12 vdc charging source it will not be enough, they are fine when hooked to shore power all the time. Look at replacing the converter with a Progressive Dynamics or Iota converter in the 55 dc amp range. You will need the dangle for the PD to force it's output to stay at 14.4 volts longer. Iota uses the IQ-4
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #5

THOR #11765
Had our coach in for repairs, batteries were toast (one was dry). They were replaced with Interstate deep cycle and seem to be holding up so far. Unfortunately the way the batteries are placed it’s impossible to check the water on the battery that is rear of the compartment, so we purchased flowrite quik fill battery system. Hopefully we won’t have any issues with dry cells on the batteries in the future. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

'