Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
On the MB chassis, there is just about zero battery drain against the chassis battery. I have left it parked for 3 weeks or more, checked the chassis battery, which checked out fully charged. That was certainly not the case on my former DP, which if the chassis battery was not being charge, in two weeks time would not start.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #42

State: Alabama
THOR #10631
Thanks for the information on the chasis battery discharging. The culprit was the radio and radio memory. I unplugged fuses F35 and F39. Checked the chasis battery with the ground cable off, plugged the DVM to the ground and checked fuse locations. The radio was parasitic, pulling 6.5 amps. With the radio fuse out, the draw was 1.6 amps. The memory fuse was then pulled, and the draw was 0.04 amps. Thanks again. Thor needs to allow the radio panel to be turned off with a built in switch or, like regular cars, when the ignition is turned off. Oh, BTW, mine is a 2015 Vegas.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
Thanks for the information on the chasis battery discharging. The culprit was the radio and radio memory. I unplugged fuses F35 and F39. Checked the chasis battery with the ground cable off, plugged the DVM to the ground and checked fuse locations. The radio was parasitic, pulling 6.5 amps. With the radio fuse out, the draw was 1.6 amps. The memory fuse was then pulled, and the draw was 0.04 amps. Thanks again. Thor needs to allow the radio panel to be turned off with a built in switch or, like regular cars, when the ignition is turned off. Oh, BTW, mine is a 2015 Vegas.
You can add one yourself. It is nor that hard. But I agree, Thor should provide a switch.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 AM   #44

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
the chassis battery in my 25-2 has never charged when plugged in. coach
batteries always charge. when i called Thor the tech man said it won't charge the chassis battery. so i remove both cables from battery if its going to sit more then a week. we never use rear radio so i will remove fuse.
Oneilkeys, what is best way to install switch on dash radio and memory?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #45

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder View Post
the chassis battery in my 25-2 has never charged when plugged in. coach
batteries always charge. when i called Thor the tech man said it won't charge the chassis battery. so i remove both cables from battery if its going to sit more then a week. we never use rear radio so i will remove fuse.
Oneilkeys, what is best way to install switch on dash radio and memory?
First, I would not necessarily believe the Thor tech. I have owned a Vegas and an Axis (2016) and, as far as I know, every Axis/Vegas thru at least 2017 have either a BIRD/Trombetta or BCC and both systems work both ways. Those with a 2018 Vegas/Axis can chime in if theirs are different. I know of at least five that were wired incorrectly at the factory. I don’t know the year of your Axis or whether you have a BIRD or BCC setup so I can’t tell you what to look at.

Secondly, I don’t know which radio you have, but you should have gotten a manual with it. If not, you should be able to download one from the manufacturer. You can access the radio by pulling up the mat in the middle of your dashboard, taking out the two screws and sliding the cover off. On my 2014 Vegas, the red wire to the radio was the one that went to the chassis battery to keep the presets and the clock. That one has a minimal draw, but it does draw some. If you put a switch to it, you will have to reset the clock and radio stations every time you turn it off. The yellow black wire (yours is probably a different color) went to the house batteries to run the radio. If it is wired correctly, the radio and backup camera will not work if the use/store is in store. To install a small on/off switch into either it both lines, just cut the wire and attach the two poles of the switch to the two wire ends. I put the two switches on a small piece of wood and attached them to the bottom of the dash near my right knee.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #46
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
First, I would not necessarily believe the Thor tech. I have owned a Vegas and an Axis (2016) and, as far as I know, every Axis/Vegas thru at least 2017 have either a BIRD/Trombetta or BCC and both systems work both ways. Those with a 2018 Vegas/Axis can chime in if theirs are different. I know of at least five that were wired incorrectly at the factory. I don’t know the year of your Axis or whether you have a BIRD or BCC setup so I can’t tell you what to look at.

Secondly, I don’t know which radio you have, but you should have gotten a manual with it. If not, you should be able to download one from the manufacturer. You can access the radio by pulling up the mat in the middle if your dashboard, taking out the two screws and sliding the cover off. On my 2014 Vegas, the red wire to the radio was the one that went to the chassis battery to keep the presets and the clock. That one has a minimal draw, but it does draw some. If you put a switch to it, you will have to reset the clock and radio stations every time you turn it off. The yellow black wire (yours is probably a different color) went to the house batteries to run the radio. If it is wired correctly, the radio and backup camera will not work if the use/store is in store. To install a small on/off switch into either it both lines, just cut the wire and attach the two poles of the switch to the two wire ends. I put the two switches on a small piece of wood and attached them to the bottom of the dash near my right knee.
Another way is to simply tie the keep-alive wire the red wire to the yellow black wire so that when in store both lines turn off, and when in use both lines are on. I wired mine this way (as we haven't required the situation where we would need that wire powered when in store mode).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #47

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Another way is to simply tie the keep-alive wire the red wire to the yellow black wire so that when in store both lines turn off, and when in use both lines are on. I wired mine this way (as we haven't required the situation where we would need that wire powered when in store mode).
That will work. However, you will have to reset your clock and radio every time you plug it in store. In addition, I wired mine to a switch so that when I boondock, I can disconnect the radio from both the house and chassis battery. During a week in Denali NP with no power and where you can’t drive your RV, I realized how much drain that could be.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #48
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
That will work. However, you will have to reset your clock and radio every time you plug it in store. In addition, I wired mine to a switch so that when I boondock, I can disconnect the radio from both the house and chassis battery. During a week in Denali NP with no power and where you can’t drive your RV, I realized how much drain that could be.
My JRV-215 has a GPS: It automatically resets the clock when it sees satellites so I don't have to do anything with that, and we rarely use the radio as a radio. It gets used to navigate and as a bluetooth speaker...that is about it.

I don't think we've ever boondocked other than overnighting in a rest area.

tigwelder: Wiring it with a switch (or switches if you want to independently do either--although if you used a dual-pole switch you could have one switch for both) or without a switch...a few options for you: select which best applies to how you want to use your RV.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #49

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Switch or to ignition?

Quote:
To install a small on/off switch into either it both lines, just cut the wire and attach the two poles of the switch to the two wire ends. I put the two switches on a small piece of wood and attached them to the bottom of the dash near my right knee.
I don't like that my radio stays on even with the key off, I thought about just running the hot wire to one that is hot when the key is on and also in the accessory position. Wouldn't this work instead of running it to a switch? I may be missing the reasoning behind hooking it up to a switch VS the ignition switch/accessory way so correct me if I'm wrong.

LOTS of GREAT knowledge on this forum! I've learned a ton already and still learning. Thanks to all!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 AM   #50
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
I don't like that my radio stays on even with the key off, I thought about just running the hot wire to one that is hot when the key is on and also in the accessory position. Wouldn't this work instead of running it to a switch? I may be missing the reasoning behind hooking it up to a switch VS the ignition switch/accessory way so correct me if I'm wrong.

LOTS of GREAT knowledge on this forum! I've learned a ton already and still learning. Thanks to all!
The logic behind the radio being on the house battery is: You may want to use it while parked/camping and thus won't need to switch on the ignition for the radio.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:31 AM   #51

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post

That works, if you can find a wire connected to an accessory wire. I found one attached to the mirror adjustment that I used to put in a dual USB port that turns off when the key is off. The problem with the radio is, unless you have one like Jimmy with a GPS chip, you have to reset the clock and the radio. That’s why they have 2 wires.