Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24f
State: California
THOR #10551
Battery

Sorry for all the stupid ?'s. I'm a new motorhome owner, and the guys at the dealership did'nt do the oriantation very well, lets just say they were in a hurry.
Next dumb ?. When I'm pluged in or the genarater is on does it charge the house battery and the engine battery.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If your store/use switch is in Use then yes. When in Store...no.

Don't worry about asking questions, ask away.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
No worries about stupid questions. Most of us here have made plenty of mistakes and missteps with our RVs.

Remember, it's the journey, not just the destination. And, it's the things you learn along the way. Welcome and happy trails!
Old 01-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I have had my MH for over a year and just now learned from your question that the house batteries don't charge when put in the store position. I always put them in store when hooked up to power, I guess I need to keep them in the use position in the CG. Never be shy to ask questions, the people on here are always willing to help.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
People ask questions because they don’t know or don’t understand! Please, and this is for everyone, if you have questions please ask! This is a Great forum with lots of knowledgeable and nice people, they are always willing to help, it’s what makes this forum so great!!!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Yes -- USE/STORE must be USE for batteries to charge when on shore or generator power. Also there is circuitry that will apply charging current to the house batteries as well as the chassis battery depending on status of the batteries. This same circuitry also applies charging current to the chassis and house batteries when driving down the road (using the engine alternator and voltage regulator) depending on the state of the batteries.

Just remember Rule of Thumb -- USE/STORE must be in USE for batteries to charge.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
As long as your use/store is in use, either the shore power, the generator, or the engine alternator will charge the house batteries. Thor's are wired a little differently than I was used, to, as in my other coaches, even with the battery disconnect, if plugged into shore power, house batteries would charge.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 AM   #8

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
I was surprised to read that the chassis battery is charged when plugged in. I have problems with the chassis battery running down after a few days of no alternator use. I had to install a cutoff switch at the battery to stop this from happening. I’m pretty sure this happened while I was on shore power as well.

Pete
Old 01-31-2018, 02:41 AM   #9

THOR #8323
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobis View Post
Sorry for all the stupid ?'s. I'm a new motorhome owner, and the guys at the dealership did'nt do the oriantation very well, lets just say they were in a hurry.

Next dumb ?. When I'm pluged in or the genarater is on does it charge the house battery and the engine battery.

I experienced a very poor orientation as well. There are no dumb questions asked here, ask away. This forum will be your best friend and you will be surprised by how much everyone is willing to help you!
Old 01-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
In the Vegas/Axis (and several other Thor models) there is either a Battery Control Center or a Trombetta/Bi-directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD). I attached a file that explains their operation.

In essence, this circuitry monitors the charge state of the battery decks (chassis and house batteries). When charge voltages over specific times (indicated in the attachment) reach certain values, this circuitry isolates the battery decks from each other and applies charging current to the battery with the lowest charge.

That's the simple explanation -- read the file for more detail. If the charging current is not going to both sets of batteries, something is wrong in the isolator relay circuitry.

And there are very few dealers that when they do an orientation that can explain what battery, charges when, and under what conditions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD & Trombetta.pdf (273.5 KB, 176 views)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
I was surprised to read that the chassis battery is charged when plugged in. I have problems with the chassis battery running down after a few days of no alternator use. I had to install a cutoff switch at the battery to stop this from happening. I’m pretty sure this happened while I was on shore power as well.

Pete
If it continues to be a problem that your chassis battery will not charge while you are plugged into shore power and the Use/store switch is in use, it is possible that either your BIRD/BCC or transfer switch is faulty or miswired. The BIRD on my 2016 Axis had one wire hooked up incorrectly and my chassis battery would not charge either on Shore power or generator. However, my house batteries would charge when the engine alternator was operating. It turned out to be the BIRD wire that sensed the charge of the chassis battery. Took me three weeks to find it.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #9050
If you tie a solar battery maintainer directly to the house batteries, will this also maintain the chassis battery?
Mods - Safe-T-Steer - Roadmaster Sterling Towbar - Tow Defender - KarGard - Thermopro In/Out T-Stat - SS Kitchen Sink - Garmin RV770 - Propane Tee Grill Adaptor - Custom Center Console - Oxygenics Shower Head - 10" Rear View Safety Monitor - Verizon Hot Spot - Radiator Guard - Sumo Springs - Cylinder Locks
Sprinkler-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I believe I am the king of asking questions in this forum! And I’ve never been disappointed. The folks here are patient and knowledgeable and so willing to help out a newbie like me. I love this forum!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #14

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler-Head View Post
If you tie a solar battery maintainer directly to the house batteries, will this also maintain the chassis battery?
The short answe is yes - if the solar panel is big enough. If you have two house batteries it may still degrade over time, but much more slowly. If you hook it directly to the house batteries, it will charge them even with the Use/Store in the store mode. I have installed wires to both battery banks so that I can hookup one or two solar chargers to them from inside the RV. Works well in the Florida sun to maintain both the house and chassis batteries.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:33 AM   #15

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I have a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE. It has a rocker switch that is on/off for house batteries with red light when in "on" position, light off no house power. When I plug into my garage 110v power, it automatically turns the rocker switch "light" to the red on position and according to my volt meter, is charging the house batteries. Running my generator just yesterday with house power rocker switch in off position, put volt meter on house batteries and according to reading, was charging 13.4 to 13.8 volts while gen. was running. I am new to R.V. ownership but looks to me like automatically charges house batteries when plugged into 110v garage outlet or running generator. On mine there is no labeled store or use. Just rocker switch.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #16

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 22FE. It has a rocker switch that is on/off for house batteries with red light when in "on" position, light off no house power. When I plug into my garage 110v power, it automatically turns the rocker switch "light" to the red on position and according to my volt meter, is charging the house batteries. Running my generator just yesterday with house power rocker switch in off position, put volt meter on house batteries and according to reading, was charging 13.4 to 13.8 volts while gen. was running. I am new to R.V. ownership but looks to me like automatically charges house batteries when plugged into 110v garage outlet or running generator. On mine there is no labeled store or use. Just rocker switch.
My 2018 24HE is the same. I spent a lot of time explaining this to folks here. Even the tech at Thor that I deal with didn’t seem to be aware. You can’t turn the power off with the rocker switch when you’re plugged in, right?

Pete
Old 02-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
My 2018 24HE is the same. I spent a lot of time explaining this to folks here. Even the tech at Thor that I deal with didn’t seem to be aware. You can’t turn the power off with the rocker switch when you’re plugged in, right?

Pete
I wonder if that is a "new" system to avoid the store/use mistakes people make (e.g. putting it in store while still plugged in).

Especially since it will auto switch on when 120V is present..nice feature.

(Of course that means you have to remember to switch it off again when storing and not plugged in...always something!)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Hmm. I've just learned something....my chassis battery never has charged on shore power. Several times, I've had to use Emergency Start or a charger if I neglect to running engine for weeks and neglected to plug in chassis battery maintainer. What do I check?
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #19

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Correct Pete. When it's on/red light, can't turn it off. Can only turn off when NOT connected to shore power.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #20

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
Hmm. I've just learned something....my chassis battery never has charged on shore power. Several times, I've had to use Emergency Start or a charger if I neglect to running engine for weeks and neglected to plug in chassis battery maintainer. What do I check?
Does everything else work as it should when you are not plugged in or when you are on shore power/generator? If it does...

First check. Turn use/store to use, plug in shore power and with a volt meter check and see if you have 13.4-14.1v on your house batteries. Then check your chassis battery and see if you have the same voltage.

Second. Unplug from shore power, turn on the engine and check the voltage at both battery banks. Make sure use/store is in use.

Let me know what you find.