Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks...
I was imagining that you'd have to call Boeing, and give them the secret password.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #22

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Boeshield is e everywhere a round here. Home depot lowes etc
I mainly use it on my salt water fishing reels before spoiling them up with line. When Boeshield drys it leaves a waxy type coating that prevents the salt from corroding the spool

Idk how well it would work on batteries. I think I'd go with a product made for that purpose

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I have a few cans from years back by Pennzoil called Marine Protector Spray. Sounds like a very similar product. I would spray the entire powerhead of the outboard (salt water use mostly) and all the electrical connections and it would last for ever. It left a sorta waxy, very lightly tacky surface but great barrier. I forgot, until this thread started, I still have 6 cans of it downstairs.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Gonna give it a try. For 20 bucks hope it works.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #25

State: Arkansas
THOR #7418
Got Tired of cleaning and repainting the battery compartment

I had similar issues to what you stated, over and over. Pulled batteries, wire brushed and repainted compartment twice. Used plastic batterie holders and it still remained a continual challenge beyond just making sure the water levels stayed full
FINALLY bit the bullet and spent the money for Trojan AGM batteries which are rated to hold up in the high heat of very south Texas in the summer. Have had these batteries since April and have not had a worry since. In the end it was worth it to go this route for me
Old 09-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #3430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction for an easy way to keep the battery compartment clean? Every month I have to remove the batteries and clean out all the white fuzz. It is getting old and I would rather spend the time doing other things. I'm also wondering how long the steel floor of the compartment is going to last. On my last coach the battery compartment was under the entry steps and made of a composite material that didn't corrode. The batteries didn't require monthly cleaning either. Any suggestions?
My battery compartment is under the steps of my Thor and I believe that there is almost 0 airflow in there and my battery corrosion was pretty bad too. It has looked pretty good after I cleaned it up because I leave it open now when I'm not using the vehicle. There's quite a bit of wiring in there because I am using two 6 V golf cart batteries in series.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
It's only been a week since I did the batteries using the Boeshield T-9 spray as the last step. I checked today and the compartment and batteries look immaculate. According to their website one can use this stuff on anything that is susceptible to corrosion. This stuff may be my new best friend, thanks for the suggestion. I was going to try Fluid Film, but nobody suggested it as a possible solution.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations!

Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #29

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
When I had four six volt batteries I cleaned the battery compartment every time I checked the water. Mixed several table spoons of soda to half gallon water and sprayed it on and around the batteries. Let it set 5 or 10 minutes then hosed it down with plain water. Flooded the floor of the compartment real good with water. Let dry thoroughly and coated compartment with wd40. Had that motorhome 15 years and was nearly rust free in the compartment.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:11 AM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #3863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
That is not an unusual circumstance. You may buy a "new" battery from (insert auto parts store) and get one that is 9 months to a year old.
Our Ford Chassis on my 2018 was manufactured in early 2017. The coach was built in April of 2017, delivered to the dealer in May of 2017 then was titled as a 2018. So at a minimum our batteries are two years old as well. Battery warranties start on the date of sale not the date of mfgr.
Our last coach I changed out a pair of wet cell deep cycle batteries about every couple years. As we spent a good deal of time in National Parks without power I wanted fresh batteries. Wet cell batteries are going to off gas during charging. I "de fuzz" 2 to 3 times a year. I also put a piece of rubber floor mat under the batteries. The last coach (Gulfstream) the sulfuric acid ate a hole in the bottom of the battery tray, it happens on all brands.
All comments are useless when it comes to the Thor Vegas.Battery compartment on Ford chassis is impossible to get to. Terrible location as your battery may die and what is one spoke to do ?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #31

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
I also do the old shade-tree mechanic's baking soda thing. Been doing it with my vehicles, boats, etc., since I was a teenager. Mix about a heaping table spoon full in maybe 12 oz of water in an old drink bottle, then pour it over and around the batteries. It will foam up where ever it finds traces of corrosion and/or battery acid residue. Let it sit for maybe 5 min. then hose off. I also keep a coating of dielectric grease on the terminals and cable connections to help control corrosion. I only have to do this twice a year to keep everything clean and corrosion free.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #32

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Don't forget WD-40 is a Dielectric

Before changing to AGM I used regular terminal protectant available in blue or red from several manufacturers

Forms a plastic like barrier

Most new vehicles now come with AGM, at least all mine have, so it just makes sense that it should at least be an option for house batteries
Old 09-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #33

THOR #12610
boeshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
There’s a product called “Boeshield” (I think) made by Boeing. It’s in a spray can and is used in the aircraft industry to protect metal corrosion. They spray it inside wings and such. I’ve used it on my motorcycle engine cases and it does the job (though it will yellow a bit over time). In a battery compartment that shouldn’t matter.
I have used boeshield in a plane I had also. It is one of the best corrosion preventative around as it dries ,it does not absorb water . It should be used on inside of aluminum panels and floor boards . I'm glad you reminded me ,I have some in my shed. I used a garden sprayer with a home made set of extension tubes to do my plane. It was used in military planes for years. Will stay on anything it is sprayed on
Old 09-23-2019, 05:06 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #3863
Battery location

Just sent another explanation about my battery problem
Old 09-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #35

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Another old mechanic's trick for battery corrosion is to stick a penny on top of the battery-the corrosion collects there first. Just "change" it out (no pun intended) every couple of months.
GVP
Old 09-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #36

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Zinc is an excellent sacrificial anode for sure
Old 09-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Another old mechanic's trick for battery corrosion is to stick a penny on top of the battery-the corrosion collects there first. Just "change" it out (no pun intended) every couple of months.
GVP
Question: How o you stick it to the battery?
would a layer of adhesive between the penny and the battery keep it from doing it's intended job?
Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #38

THOR #10788
See my post Vegas 25.4 Battery Access Panel for several ideas with pics
Old 09-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
See my post Vegas 25.4 Battery Access Panel for several ideas with pics
How about posting the link to it for us...
Old 09-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #40

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: How o you stick it to the battery?
would a layer of adhesive between the penny and the battery keep it from doing it's intended job?

I've done this for years also. A very small drop of gear oil or bearing grease will hold it in place. It works!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote