Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Water Line Leaks

Looking for some insight from anyone who has had to deal with drip leaks from the incoming water lines. Our Thor Challenger has the Acorn flow tite water lines in the outside compartment I assume the rest of you all do as well.
My problem is I had a couple drip leaks and went looking for replacement cone washers. I have not been able to find them from any one, RV shops (a Thor dealer) and two others, Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware.
I ended up having to buy the new 20 inch water line off eBay. I do not understand why no one seems to sell the cone washers that seem to have worn out causing the drip leak .
Has anyone else ever had to deal with a drip leak or replace the water line in the outside bay?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not sure the area you are referring to but one of the issues I had repaired at factory was the incoming "city water" connection. It was leaking just behind the wall and dripping into the bay underneath it. The technician said they had a bad batch of fittings and replacing them as they find them. To small of a part to track by VIN such as a furnace or water heater.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #3

THOR #1403
OK the area as I said is on the outside incoming water bay where the water filter and outside shower water is. The drip leaks were/are on the braded tubing wing nut water lines. It seemed to be from a worn out washer so have been looking for the correct size cone washer used in those lines.

We bought our 215 Thor Challenger new so have had it without any drip leak issues since Nov 2014 till now.

I view it the same as having a leak on a garden hose where one needs to replace the washer. Trouble is no one seems to carry that correct size cone washer.

I have an email out to ACCOR, the water line manufacturer Thor used on our 2015 Challenger and I assume on all of the Thor Motor homes.

If Thor is monitoring this site can you give any insight and or what a Thor owner has to do to correct the drip problem, like where can one order the proper cone washer or what item number one would need to ask a dealer to order for the water line from Thor.

I did have to remove the whole cover in the outside incoming water bay to get to the tubing to find out where the leak or leaks were coming from. So now I need to find the correct size washers or be told one has to buy the complete water line fitting as no one sells the washers, and what has been my experience so far
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
On my Miramar, I traced a leak to the back side of the Kant Leak panel and found loose connections. Like you stated, like a garden hose connection. I tried to just tighten but to no avail. I finally disconnected and removed the washer and cleaned it thoroughly. I seems it was loose enough to allow some hard water sentiment or maybe even plastic particles from the installation to work their way into that area. Once cleaning and reassembling, I've had no more leaks.

Just a thought.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

THOR #1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
On my Miramar, I traced a leak to the back side of the Kant Leak panel and found loose connections. Like you stated, like a garden hose connection. I tried to just tighten but to no avail. I finally disconnected and removed the washer and cleaned it thoroughly. I seems it was loose enough to allow some hard water sentiment or maybe even plastic particles from the installation to work their way into that area. Once cleaning and reassembling, I've had no more leaks.

Just a thought.
Thanks for that feed back. I too had to remove the small panel Anderson kant leak LOL because it was leaking. I had to also remove the WHOLE panel as there was some dripping behind it as well. What a chore!

So there are drip leaks and no one sells those washers. I contacted ACCOR who makes those water liens and they affirmed no one sells those washer and they are made specially for them. So they very nicely offered to send me some and I am now waiting to get them.

Unfortunately I can not say the same for Thor. They did send me a private message from here on the forum

"I wanted to make sure you got the help you needed. If not, please call our Support Team @ 877-855-2867 or email us TMCTeam@tmcrv.com and we will gladly address your concern.

Thanks!

Thor Motor Coach Team "

So I did and here is their response

Good afternoon Ron,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this part. Unfortunately, this hose is manufactured with the cone washer inside of it. The washer itself is not available for individual purchase. At this time, you will need to purchase the hose pictured in order to replace the washer. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Max Smith
Customer Service
Thor Motor Coach
Retail: 877-855-2867

OK simple to the point information yet they did not offer to give me any information on ordering this Part from Thor, giving me a part # or any information how to find the right part. I just expected more from Thor.

So OK bottom line is yes one can look for an RV braided water line on eBay and I did.

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and find a somewhat similar line used in household plumbing but only one end is the plastic screw on and the Motor Home lines they use from ACCOR are both ends have the plastic screw on fittings so easier to twist on of off and no tool is needed.

Also Thor used two different lengths, the one I did replace was 20 inch but they also have much longer ones also maybe 30 inch?

I just expected Thor to be more insightful and helpful in identifying the parts they used. Customer service was so much better B4 we bought and for the first year we had our 2015 Challenger, then it all just dropped. We found out when looking to replace the molding around the refrigerator Thor no longer carried that Cherry wood color in this 2015 model so out of luck. All and all we have found it very hard to work on and replace things on the Motor Home and very little help from Thor.