Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
lost 12 volt systems

While hooked to shore power, I have lost all 12 volt power. I have power to fridge and microwave, but no power for A/C, or lights. I checked the breakers in the fuse box, and they didnt seem to be tripped. Seems also that IN USE switch does not work either. Leveling jacks are down, and slide is out. I opened the battery box, and smelled fumes from batteries. Any ideas other than hand grenade are appreciated.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker3030 View Post
While hooked to shore power, I have lost all 12 volt power. I have power to fridge and microwave, but no power for A/C, or lights. I checked the breakers in the fuse box, and they didnt seem to be tripped. Seems also that IN USE switch does not work either. Leveling jacks are down, and slide is out. I opened the battery box, and smelled fumes from batteries. Any ideas other than hand grenade are appreciated.
Since your on shore power vice battery only, I'd check the fuse(s) on your latching relay. A inoperative relay will cause the issue you're having with your DC power. On my ACE 32.1 the relay is under the bed directly across from the converter and above my DC distribution panel.

A FYI item, the converter also has fuses for reverse polarity protection.

There's a circuit breaker, mines a 50A, in my house battery bay, that would cause the same problem if tripped when you're not using shore or generator power.

Once you get this solved I'd check those batteries out. If they are the flooded style of lead acid you may be low on water due to excessive off-gassing.

I hope this helps you to solve your issue.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180502_141609.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	18100Click image for larger version

Name:	20181213_142814.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	18101
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
..."I opened the battery box, and smelled fumes from batteries"...

Did it smell like "battery embalming fluid"?...they may be dry and toasted...or possible overcharging which will also fry them. Check them out cautiously, keeping your face away from them when opening caps.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #4

THOR #13457
It smelled like rotten eggs and vinegar.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

THOR #11130
DRY...they're dead.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
That is the characteristic smell from a battery with little on no water with the charger on. If you added water in the last month, I would check the converter output voltage BEFORE I installed new batteries.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

THOR #13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
DRY...they're dead.
With the batteries dead, will I be able to retract the slide and leveling jacks if I have to move the coach.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #8

THOR #11130
Yes (I think), as long as you're on shore power or have generator running, as the converter should operate the slides over the battery...but there are much more knowledgeable people here on this issue than me.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #9

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
In your first post you said that you were on shore power and had no lights or A/C. If that's the case you will almost certainly not be able to retract the jacks or the slides since they require 12VDC, which you don't have. You've got to find that 50AMP breaker and make sure that it is reset to get any 12VDC to anything. As mentioned by others, the batteries are probably cooked, so you will most likely need to replace them, but without the reset, you will still not have DC power to your coach. Without charged batteries, the converter may not be capable of supplying enough current to run the pumps and motors ( cross your fingers that it can ).
Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 AM   #10

State: Iowa
THOR #15635
Has anyone had problem with the battery going dead after winter storage, northern Iowa? This happened to us last year and it has done it again. Also, any easy method of boosting the battery? Has anyone taken the rest area on the passenger side to get to the battery? If so, any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Pride View Post
Has anyone had problem with the battery going dead after winter storage, northern Iowa? This happened to us last year and it has done it again. Also, any easy method of boosting the battery? Has anyone taken the rest area on the passenger side to get to the battery? If so, any suggestions?

I don’t think any battery, even the best AGM, can sit for a full winter and still answer the bell come spring. If you are not able to charge them every month or so you should take them out and keep them at home on a battery tender style charger. I typically will try to pick a nice day and drive my coach at least 20 or 30 miles each month with the generator running and I’ll often run the generator an additional while while I’m fiddling with something or even watch TV. It will help a bit if you install a disconnect switch on the batteries as even with the use/store switch there will be some drain on the batteries.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #12

THOR #11130
True...every generator needs to be run monthly and should have a pretty heavy load thrown on it while running.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Pride View Post
Self-discharge for a flooded battery is 0.7% to 1% per day. For an AGM is is 0.4% per month. So an AGM will last all winter id disconnected from all drains. On my coach the parasitic battery drain is 0.2 amps. With a 205 ah flooded battery capacity, the drain is 144 ah plus the self-discharge equals a flat battery and up north a couple frozen batteries. Fortunately my village offers 40 foot parking spot a 50 amp pedestal for 40 a month.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Self-discharge for a flooded battery is 0.7% to 1% per day. For an AGM is is 0.4% per month. So an AGM will last all winter id disconnected from all drains. On my coach the parasitic battery drain is 0.2 amps. With a 205 ah flooded battery capacity, the drain is 144 ah plus the self-discharge equals a flat battery and up north a couple frozen batteries. Fortunately my village offers 40 foot parking spot a 50 amp pedestal for 40 a month.

0.4% per month? That’s 5% a year and suggests it would still have a useful (50%) charge in 10 years of total neglect. I’m afraid I’m a bit skeptical. But then again, I’ve not done the research. My last travel trailer had a new and expensive AGM that the salesman assured me would last the winter. It was on my workbench with no load whatsoever and didn’t. I kept it’s replacement on a Battery Tender thereafter. It doesn’t take a lot of use to keep a fully charged battery ready to go and you’re supposed to run your coach and your generator regularly for other reasons anyway. Works for me.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #15

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
0.4% per month? That’s 5% a year and suggests it would still have a useful (50%) charge in 10 years of total neglect. I’m afraid I’m a bit skeptical. But then again, I’ve not done the research. My last travel trailer had a new and expensive AGM that the salesman assured me would last the winter. It was on my workbench with no load whatsoever and didn’t. I kept it’s replacement on a Battery Tender thereafter. It doesn’t take a lot of use to keep a fully charged battery ready to go and you’re supposed to run your coach and your generator regularly for other reasons anyway. Works for me.
Perhaps I over stated my contention - From the Lifeline Technical manual
AGM self discharge - 1 to 3% per month remains stable over life
Flooded Battery deep cycle battery -5-10% per month when new increases drastically with age due to antimony contamination of the negative plate.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #16

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
12 volt

You may have a bad battery, but, if you have no 12 volt when on shore power your issue is with the converter. Air conditioner (A/C) doesn't work on 12 volt it's an A/C appliance, refrigerator requires 12 volt to operate, even on A/C, for the controls. I would check the converter before replacing the battery, it may be the issue.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
You may have a bad battery, but, if you have no 12 volt when on shore power your issue is with the converter. Air conditioner (A/C) doesn't work on 12 volt it's an A/C appliance, refrigerator requires 12 volt to operate, even on A/C, for the controls. I would check the converter before replacing the battery, it may be the issue.
The Air Conditioner does not require 12 VDC to operate, but if it is controlled by a thermostat, the thermostat requires 12 VDC to operate the Air Conditioner.

Think of it as "control power" for the Air Conditioner.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #18

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker3030 View Post
With the batteries dead, will I be able to retract the slide and leveling jacks if I have to move the coach.
Some do work without a battery. My neighbor has no battery in his Wildcat 5er and slides work well. Lippert says battery must be connected.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have never had any issues with batteries not holding charge over a winter and I am talking multiple batteries

The key is already noted, no load and that also means the top and terminals must be clean

Do you think that the farmers and ranchers really put all the batteries?

They don't use trickle charger set ups on all either but a clean disconnected battery will survive just like they do in stores
Old 07-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #20

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
TINKER3030 - Did you ever get the problem solved? What was determined as the cause?