Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Ag&Au,

Are they truely unlabeled or just black spraypaint over the labels?? That is what appears to have been done and questioned in this Forum.

When do they start acting up is a good question. Mine had a hard time holding the charge from day one; then, over the next 3- 5 months, they would go dead in just hours after coming off the charger; then they would just not charge at all (fortunately this last step happened at CW to their tech and got them looking into it for me).

So as I was told...I guess it depends on how mistreated the batteries were BEFORE you purchased the RV as to how close they are to being "Sulfate Dead".

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Are you sure they are unlabeled? My house battery was painted over. I could still see the letters "rris" on the side though (has since been replaced).

It took about 1.5 seasons before our Harris battery died.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #23

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
We have unlabeled batteries in our new motorhome. Does this mean they are most likely Harris? If so, how soon should I expect them to start causing problems?

Ken
Ken,

I have the Harris batteries in mine and suppose I'm one of the lucky few but have had no trouble with them and it's been over 2 years since purchase. They could go bad tomorrow but they are reaching full charge for now.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #24

THOR #2605
Battery replacement

Ag & Au, I noticed limited use after charging at about 10 months. At 12 months not enough power to run levelers or anything. Going today to buy some Exides like DocMike.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #25

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Thanks for all the responses. At least I know I've got a bit of time (I hope).

I will have to look mine over again. It never dawned on me that someone would paint over the labels. I'm not sure I even want to wonder what the motive for that would be.

I already planned to replace the converter very soon, so the batteries may be next.

Ken
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #26

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
We have unlabeled batteries in our new motorhome in our new motorhome. Does that mean they are most likely Harris? Can anyone estimate home long before we start experiencing problems?

Ken
Shortly after warrantee expires ... of course!

How long your batteries might last is largely dependent on how they are used and maintained. Consider the life expectance of the factory batteries to be 1 to 6 years.

If your use is that of regular DOD cycles 80% of capacity look for around 1yr of life (maybe less) and if DOD is less than 25% maybe they could last 5-6yrs. Several factors can dramatically shorten battery use-life, such as allowing or experiencing a discharged state.

A degraded battery condition might not be noticed if only used for light duties traveling between powered destinations.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #27

THOR #2605
battery replacement

I went to CW the other day to purchase a couple of Exides and they were out. The CW employee took down my name and said he would call me when they came in Saturday. He called this morning and told him, since I live about 30 miles south of the store, I would just come by Tuesday when I was back in town. By chance he was coming to the town I live in this afternoon to see his brother and he offered to bring them to me. Overwhelming customer service! Batteries are here now so I can install tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
I went to CW the other day to purchase a couple of Exides and they were out. The CW employee took down my name and said he would call me when they came in Saturday. He called this morning and told him, since I live about 30 miles south of the store, I would just come by Tuesday when I was back in town. By chance he was coming to the town I live in this afternoon to see his brother and he offered to bring them to me. Overwhelming customer service! Batteries are here now so I can install tomorrow.
Just curious how much money for the replacements?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #29

THOR #2605
cost

106.99 each, could have got them 7 bucks a piece cheaper but had to drive 25 miles south of here to get them
Old 08-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
106.99 each, could have got them 7 bucks a piece cheaper but had to drive 25 miles south of here to get them
Which model and size? 6 or 12 Volts?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #31

THOR #2605
12V, 27 series deep cycle.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #32

Model: 40KQ
THOR #2963
Good thread this is. So good, yesterday we went over to coach to hit the road for the long weekend and found that my 115v shore power that I plug into had tripped and for some reason, I left a compartment light on and that drained the batteries dead. I put a charger on them overnight and this morning I came back, put a volt meter on them and got only 3.2 out of each of them. I assume they are history. Now I am looking for a solid replacement for the 4 of them. Yep, 4, 6v deep cycle. Guess this will sting but that comes with this life we love. If any of you have a brand in mind, this 4 trip to Iraq Vet will be most appreciative.

----------------
Swede
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #33

THOR #2963
OK, 4 each Trojan T-105's installed. All is well now.

----------------
Swede
Old 09-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #34

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Sounds like that's the way to go. Would you still think solar power is required. We have a Chateau 35SD on order (still in paint 2 weeks).

Mike Wenzel
Oklahoma
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
OK, 4 each Trojan T-105's installed. All is well now.

Is your battery box about 28” x 14” as that’s what’s on our 35SD? Would like to do the same.

wenz
Old 11-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #36

THOR #2963
It is pretty close to that, you should be fine. The T-105 is a great battery. I had thought about solar but never went any further.

----------------
Swede