Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
THOR #7506
Hughs Autoformer VS Prog 30A Surge or Both?

Getting ready to pick up my new Quantum PD 31, one my first upgrades will be surge protection hardwired. I am curious if you need to use both the Hughs autoformer and the Progressive Ind surge protector? I do not see where the PI surge protector protects against low voltage.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude View Post
Getting ready to pick up my new Quantum PD 31, one my first upgrades will be surge protection hardwired. I am curious if you need to use both the Hughs autoformer and the Progressive Ind surge protector? I do not see where the PI surge protector protects against low voltage.
I'll concede that I'm not an expert on this, but after talking to a number of dealers who carry these products, I went with the Hughes Autoformer RV220-50-SP and was told that the Progressive Industries surge protector was not needed because it is already built into the Hughes unit. The surge protector unit in the Hughes is replaceable. I went with the model that is not hard-wired because I got tired of buying things that end up staying with the rig when I sell it. If you go that route, please note that it's a relatively heavy thing to lug around and hook up.

I paid over $525 for my Hughes unit. Was it worth it? I don't know, but it bought me peace of mind about not having to worry about frying the electrical components in the coach.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude View Post
You don't need both...
Both do protect against low voltage but in different ways.
The PI surge protector (and many other brands) will disconnect power from the RV on low voltage.
The Hughs Autoformer goes further and boosts the voltage... I assume it will also cut off if it is unable to boost - not as familiar with that unit.

Whether it is worth the extra expense for the Hughs is up to you...
I'm happy having the rig protected - and if it needs to cut power - so be it.. (I do have onboard UPS systems for sensitive electronics - so they just fall to battery.)

I like the concept of the Hughs - but to me would depend on WHY the voltage is low... My one (known) case of low voltage was a campground wiring issue - a loose wire/bad breaker in their main distribution panel - and as we all turned on our AC's - the voltage dropped... An autoformer here would have tried to pull more current to boost the voltage (boosting isn't free) - and not sure how long that would have lasted...
Tripping told me there was an issue - when it repeated I informed the CG - and they found/fixed their issue.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Progressive hard wired with digital readout. Progressive analyses the current before allowing it to reach the coach, shuts off current if it detects a problem. With digital readout you can monitor voltage, amps, and receive error codes. Nothing to carry or hook up once it’s installed, lifetime warranty! Love the Progressive and wouldn’t use anything else.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:50 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
It's truly a personal choice. Pretty sure both do a good job.

I went with the Hughes Autoformer (30A). As previously mentioned, it boosts the voltage up to 10% to try to keep it in the 110 and higher range, but it can only do so much based on what is coming in. I don't think it cuts out, like the Progressive, but I would have to check that. I've been on the phone with the company and the designers, good people, great customer service.
The Surge protector is replaceable and is in the top of the unit. Also has the Power condition indicators along with one that lights when it is boosting and one that shows the Surge protector is not good.

Again, Pretty much a personal choice more than anything else.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote