Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #9135
Black and gray water tanks

I have a 1993 Thor Pinnacle. I don't believe my black water and gray water gauges are accurate.

I would like to know what the sizes of the black water and the gray water tank are in gallons. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Mark

Old 10-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
First, the gauges are never accurate. There are many discussions in this board about it and even a way to install accurate gauges.

Second: You should search the Internet for the manual and spec sheet for your RV.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #3

State: Wisconsin
THOR #9135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
First, the gauges are never accurate. There are many discussions in this board about it and even a way to install accurate gauges.

Second: You should search the Internet for the manual and spec sheet for your RV.
I have searched the internet. A lot. Maybe I'm just a dummy but I can't find it.

Mark
Old 10-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda1954 View Post
I have a 1993 Thor Pinnacle. I don't believe my black water and gray water gauges are accurate.

I would like to know what the sizes of the black water and the gray water tank are in gallons. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Mark
There are roughly 7.5 gal in a cubic ft. If you know the dimensions of your tank you can calculate the size of the tank in cubic feet and convert it to gallons by dividing by 7.5. If you calculate the volume ot the tank in cubic inches divide by 12,960 to get the size in gallons.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #5

THOR #2271
Have you tried to call Thor customer service?
(877) 855-2867
Old 10-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Considering the various shapes of the RV holding tanks, it would probably be easier to shut off all water use in your house, read your water meter, use your exterior water hose to fill the empty tank, read the house water meter again and calculate the difference.

Tom
Old 10-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAndLindaRogers View Post
Considering the various shapes of the RV holding tanks, it would probably be easier to shut off all water use in your house, read your water meter, use your exterior water hose to fill the empty tank, read the house water meter again and calculate the difference.

Tom

Does it really matter.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Does it really matter.
Knowing waste water tank sizes is useful in planning trips, I can’t see why that’s even in question. I just tried to find the answer but came up empty also. I agree with the previous suggestion to contact Thor Customer Care.

Mike
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Knowing waste water tank sizes is useful in planning trips, I can’t see why that’s even in question. I just tried to find the answer but came up empty also. I agree with the previous suggestion to contact Thor Customer Care.

Mike

Why ? Do you measure what goes down the drain? Once you use it you will know when they are getting full. Experience is best.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I only need to know how long til I need to dump. We can go about a week,on,the black tank & with 2 grey tanks, 1 kitchen, 1 bath/washing machine, the kitchen will last 5-7 days, the bath 1-2 days depending on showers &/or laundry.
It's a waste of time to even look at the level sensors, unless you've upgraded to the high dollar ones, we've had 8-10 rvs none of which the level sensors worked past the first fill.
Sorry I can't answer you're question, but as others have said it really doesn't matter unless you are metering into them or you will only be boondocking constantly.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
We take the simple route. As gauges never are accurate, I simply turn off the water pump, open the toilet flush valve and shine a flashlight into the tank. Believe me, if it's close you'll know it.
As for the gray tank we've found that there is a very noticeable gurgle that emanates from the shower drain before the water ever comes up into the shower. Time to empty. Longest without emptying tanks has been ten days but we don't have washers, extra bathrooms or muddy kids any more.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #12

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Does it really matter.
There is an old saying that some engineer or someone working with engineers probably came up with and it is: No hair is too fine to split.

Just kidding!
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 10-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
As already said, those gauges are notoriously inaccurate. After awhile you will get a feel for how long you can go without dumping tanks. If you are dry camping, you would be amazed at how little water you can use when you try. We almost always camp in full hookup parks, so for us its really not much of a problem.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #14

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
As already said, those gauges are notoriously inaccurate. After awhile you will get a feel for how long you can go without dumping tanks. If you are dry camping, you would be amazed at how little water you can use when you try. We almost always camp in full hookup parks, so for us its really not much of a problem.
You are 100% correct.
Lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace, counter of the coin, is amazing when it comes to water conservation. We camp inside the park with no connections when in the Smokeys and when we leave and go to a state park with electricity and water its like we are "movin' on up - to the west side!" If we stop at a private campground with full hookups it seems almost wasteful!
Using the water we bring in gallon jugs keeps us from using the water pump and probably gives the furnace fan a few more minutes on the batteries. WINNING!
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #15

THOR #8495
A common size is 30 to 40 and the black tank, and 40 on the gray but could vary up on larger campers. One way to tell is empty both tanks completely and fill with a measured/metered amount of water.
My first travel trailer had a label with vin number, weight and tank specs. Maybe there's a label hiding somewhere?
Good luck!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #16

State: California
THOR #6598
Has anyone had any good or bad experience with either Happy Camper or TankTechsRX for Black water maintenance while in use and during storage?
Old 10-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's all "water under the bridge" anyway...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #18

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Kieffer View Post
Has anyone had any good or bad experience with either Happy Camper or TankTechsRX for Black water maintenance while in use and during storage?
I use Happy Camper. Works just fine. I full-time and use it every time I empty and clean the black water tank.