Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Black/grey water tank wiring.

Was walking up to our Axis and spotted something hanging down. Turned out the tape holding up the heater/level sense wires had let go. Pictures show before and black tank repair.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
When we first got our 24.1 home I was rolling around under it on a creeper and noticed the grey tank heater was attached with duct tape.
It was only attached around the edges and looked like a big old belly hanging down.
Disconnected the wires and removed the pad, cleaned all of the duct tape adhesive and original adhesive off then tested the pad and reattached it with some 3m spray adhesive.
After that I straightened out the rats nest of wiring .
Old 02-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
When we first got our 24.1 home I was rolling around under it on a creeper and noticed the grey tank heater was attached with duct tape.
It was only attached around the edges and looked like a big old belly hanging down.
Disconnected the wires and removed the pad, cleaned all of the duct tape adhesive and original adhesive off then tested the pad and reattached it with some 3m spray adhesive.
After that I straightened out the rats nest of wiring .
Thats exactly what I did. I was waxing the coach and dropped the towel when I bent down to pick it up I saw the pad hanging down on the pavement. Who knows how far I was dragging it down the road. I got a new Pad under warranty and re-attached with the 3m adhesive. After that it was time to tie up the hanging wires.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

THOR #3952
Unfortunately this is commonplace in the rv industry. These type things don't bother as much as some of the major issues. I have gone through my 30.1 and accessed every nook and cranny to see how things are wired and hooked up for future reference. I chased a shower leak for 2 weeks of and on. Finally found out the trap on the shower drain was overtightened and cracked. At least they put an access panel in the wheel well to change it out. I put a clear plastic back over so I can see if anything leaks in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	3994  
Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #5

THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Unfortunately this is commonplace in the rv industry. These type things don't bother as much as some of the major issues. I have gone through my 30.1 and accessed every nook and cranny to see how things are wired and hooked up for future reference. I chased a shower leak for 2 weeks of and on. Finally found out the trap on the shower drain was overtightened and cracked. At least they put an access panel in the wheel well to change it out. I put a clear plastic back over so I can see if anything leaks in the future.
Pretty slick idea ....
I really love our Vegas, it looks great ,has a wonderful floor plan, plenty of power, it is fun to drive and the view through that windshield while going down the road is great.
Problems like the heat pad are small potatoes and easy to fix. But if Thor would be just a little but more careful in the assembly process it would make for a better coach.
I get a kick out of the fact that every time we go on a trip I always find one or two screws on the floor while cleaning up after we get home. You know, those brown self tapping ones that they use on everything.
I save them but hope they were just dropped during assembly but missed during factory clean up.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew
factory clean up.
Whats that??!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Whats that??!
Yeah , that's why I don't get too concerned when I find the screws on the floor ....
Old 02-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
I have resigned myself to fixing many of the little things myself. Poorly secured wiring. Cutting away that crappy foam sealant they use and resealing everything, including the ones they missed. I wonder how often Thor representatives cruse around this forum, and how far up or down the quality control chain, our concerns go?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Thanks guys. I need to climb under...already found one of my tank heating pads had repositioned itself to the frame (I wonder if it might have bounced up there). It looks like my taillights wont be working on my toad (I only drive in daytime. But I dont have power at that blade on the towing connection). I've been meaning to get a look at where the exterior cable/HDMI stuff enters the exterior as I hear stories of it being unprotected. What else should I look for?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
If you haven't already go grab Ed's manual: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Everything we would/could tell you what to watch out for is in there...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

THOR #5374
Printed , laminated , bound and sitting in the rv.
It's a wonderful piece of reference material .
Old 02-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #12

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
2016 Axis 24.1 heating pads for black and grey tanks

We took a 13,000 mile trip from TN to AK last summer and early fall. Three full months on the road. Coming back to the U.S. in Yellowstone Park I noticed something hanging down under the left side of the coach. Crawled under as far as I could get and noticed the heating pad had separated from the bottom of the tank and the wires had come lose and hanging down. Put a temporary duct tape patch on it that held until I could check it out better. Once home, I discovered that the other heating pad had completely come off and the wires for it were hanging lose. That tank was under the center of the coach and I was not able to detect it was missing before I lost it somewhere . CW replaced the heaters under warranty but it took two trips and stayed in their shop more than two weeks.

Some people have had various problems that have been expressed here but I will say that our 3 months on the road went very well. I did have a rear dual inside tire valve extension that took 3 trips to 2 tire shops in Calgary to finally get it fixed. The short 6" flexible steel extension on the valve had a small leak that was very difficult to find. The big V-10 and 6 speed tranny on the E-450 chassis got 9.1 miles per gallon for the whole trip ( door to door ). The Axis is back in the shop at CW with an engine battery discharging problem even when plugged into shore power. Additionally, when taking it back to CW with the battery problem, the A/C defroster blower stopped working. They have ordered parts but it is still there after almost 3 weeks. CW needs to get a better handle on getting parts from Thor or whoever and reduce the time they take to fix things. As Axis/Vegas owners, we need to be on the phones/emails to Thor Customer Service. They have been fair with me and extended my warranty to make the blower repairs as a good will jester. P.S. We did not have a tow vehicle and I drive 65 mph tops and usually much slower in AK. Lots of road repairs and following guide cars through construction every summer. Great place to spend your camping days.