Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
Blowout damage

I am in Mexico. A few days ago I had a blowout on my 28A. Made a hell of a ng. It carcked the wheel well liner in 2 place s. I repaired it with eternabond tape, then went to an Autozone and bought spray undercoating that dries hard & rubbery. Worked well.

The scary part is the black water tank is less than a foot away. It was oK. I have now glued a thick rubber sheet to the side of it and want to find someone to install a second mud flap between it and the tires. Cracking that would not be pleasant.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Blow-outs will definitely wreck a perfectly good day! I once had a client lose a left-front tire on his Winnie, and it did over twenty thousand dollars worth of damage to the bodywork.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #3

THOR #12644
Well a rough road and 105 heat did not help. Thank god for the Green Angels (Like AAA, except they don't charge). They changed out the tire and then followed me for an hour to the RV park to make sure I got there OK. I love these people down here.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:39 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Glad to hear that you didn't have to go it alone!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 AM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This is my biggest expected rv fear.
I diamond plated my little toy hauler wheel wells after a blow out.
The Thor is a bit rougher to engineer.
I think about the black tank relative to the rear tires, on every walk around.

Skeeerrrry ssshhhbiiiittttt
Old 11-20-2019, 03:17 AM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yeah, it crossed my mind to rig up a more sturdy late steel fender
but based on the damage my tire did when it blew, I'm concerned that putting more metal in there might just get ripped around causing more damage than just letting it fly..... It would have to be extremely sturdy

My tire had sucked the tailpipe up into the fender well, ripped apart the mud flap, ripped apart the fender fairing.... a whole lota force let loose under there!
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 AM   #7

THOR #12644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Glad to hear that you didn't have to go it alone!

Thank God for the Green Angels. I had barely got the jack under when they showed up. Cost me 2 root beers
Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
At twenty times that price: it'd still be cheap!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Could have been much worse! Glad you weren't speeding...like this guy was...

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1574280914
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaving a Mark.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	21548  
Old 11-24-2019, 03:12 AM   #11

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
I am in Mexico. A few days ago I had a blowout on my 28A. Made a hell of a ng. It carcked the wheel well liner in 2 place s. I repaired it with eternabond tape, then went to an Autozone and bought spray undercoating that dries hard & rubbery. Worked well.

The scary part is the black water tank is less than a foot away. It was oK. I have now glued a thick rubber sheet to the side of it and want to find someone to install a second mud flap between it and the tires. Cracking that would not be pleasant.
You took your RV into Mexico? You're braver than me. That place is a murder zone.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

THOR #12644
12 seasons now for about 6 months at a time, covered the whole country from the Arizona & Texas borders to Guatemala. Some of it as an RV Caravan Wagon Master. Never had, nor seen, a single incident. However, I am careful to avoid Walmarts in Texas and Outdoor Country Music concerts in Nevada on my way south. Plus I am no longer in high school fortunately, and I don't go to movie theatres or gay bars on my way south.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #13

THOR #12644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
This is my biggest expected rv fear.
I diamond plated my little toy hauler wheel wells after a blow out.
The Thor is a bit rougher to engineer.
I think about the black tank relative to the rear tires, on every walk around.

Skeeerrrry ssshhhbiiiittttt

On the other side is my propane tank, which is even scarier. I am going to look into hanging a bit of a shield on the other side of the tires. Has to be still so they don't deflect onto the tires. They would hopefully cushion any blast. It's something when you start having to fit the underside of your RV like you plan to take it to Afghanistan. Down here in Mexico they are masters at improvisation. I am sure I can get something done. They fix things down here instead of replacing. I pranged the door on my Class C last year when I backed it into a stump when it was open (Long story). They removed it, showed up 3 days later with it looking new. $300.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
12 seasons now for about 6 months at a time, covered the whole country from the Arizona & Texas borders to Guatemala. Some of it as an RV Caravan Wagon Master. Never had, nor seen, a single incident. However, I am careful to avoid Walmarts in Texas and Outdoor Country Music concerts in Nevada on my way south. Plus I am no longer in high school fortunately, and I don't go to movie theatres or gay bars on my way south.
We're not here to judge anybody's lifestyle...
(JK!)
We always hear the horror stories; but forget about all of the good stuff that exists all over the place...
Old 11-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #15

THOR #12644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We're not here to judge anybody's lifestyle...
(JK!)
We always hear the horror stories; but forget about all of the good stuff that exists all over the place...

I get this a lot and get a bit tired of it. Howerer I will address it. No one is going to deny there is violence down here. However, it is targeted violence, unlike all the random stuff happening these days at home. Certainly RVers are not a target. Of course you can always be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that is the case every time you get out of bed. I have had closer calls in the US & Europe than I have in Mexico. I was a block away in Tucson when Gabby was shot for example. I was also in London near the bridge when the incident happened there a year back. I was in Italy last year and saw streets blocked with armoured vehicles near tourist attractions to protect against nuts in trucks mowing down crowds. In my 20's I was held for a week by Fedayeen in lebanon. On the other hand, you have little defense against random violence, be it terrorist or some nut job shooting up a Walmart or shooting at people from a Vegas hotel room. Targeted violence you can generally avoid by not indulging in things that make you a target like buying drugs or bar hopping at 2 AM. I did not work 35 years to sit on the couch watching the NatGeo channel. That ain't living.

BTW as a matter of interest i run a Facebook group. I posted photos of that rig belonging to the couple murdered in Texas. The perps took the stolen RV into Mexico. A member of my group spotted it and called the state Police in Jalisco. They were captured and returned to the US almost immediateley. They were spotted very close to where I am right now
Old 11-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Forgive me for saying this...

Are you SURE that you're not a "trouble-magnet"?
You've had enough adventures for a stadium full of people!

( JK...)
Old 11-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #17

THOR #12644
Sometimes I wonder, LOL
Old 11-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Could have been much worse! Glad you weren't speeding...like this guy was...

As an interesting side note the video commented that the driver did not apply his brakes. After seeing this for the first time I started doing some research. Studies have indicated that with a blowout especially on the front tire, DO NOT APPLY YOUR BRAKES first thing. Instead accelerate slightly to shift the forces to the back, stabilize your coach then very slowly decelerate until you can safely pull over. Very counter intuitive! But check it out for yourself and run it over in your thoughts.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #19

THOR #12644
Believe me I know all about RV accidents. No blowout involved and it was not my fault, but I was unable to control as soon as a shoulder was involved. I also did not hit my brakes. My dad who was a professional driver, (he taught cops how to avoid collisions) also drilled into me not to hit my brakes if there was any chance of driving out of a situation. Here is a photo and my dashcam video from mine a bit over a year ago. The accident happened in Canada. Note the speed on dash cam is in KPH, not MPH, i was doing the speed limit.

https://www.mexicocaravans.com/accident.avi

Old 11-25-2019, 01:31 AM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Believe me I know all about RV accidents. No blowout involved and it was not my fault, but I was unable to control as soon as a shoulder was involved. I also did not hit my brakes. My dad who was a professional driver, (he taught cops how to avoid collisions) also drilled into me not to hit my brakes if there was any chance of driving out of a situation. Here is a photo and my dashcam video from mine a bit over a year ago. The accident happened in Canada. Note the speed on dash cam is in KPH, not MPH, i was doing the speed limit.

https://www.mexicocaravans.com/accident.avi

This is not a useful comment in any way, but.....YIKES! Glad you’re Ok.