Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 02:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Body Damage

I have a little body damage and I'm in Yuma. I have the paint code from Thor.

I filled the damage, blocked and sanded the area to accept paint. I need a place that can match the paint and shoot a fade into the existing paint. The paint is 2017 and not that faded. The kicker is it's gel coat. The repair will likely be a base cost/clear coat (as I understand what I've been told).

I tried one place in Yuma AZ and they couldn't match the paint (it was too dark). I'm headed toward Quartzsite, AZ. Should I have it done there or wait for someplace else? Plan to go north from there.

Has anyone been successful in getting gel coat body damage fixed? Where did you have it done, is it practical for my short-term situation/plan, and was the cost justified?

Thanks for any input you provide.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:47 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
You might check with a local large car dealer service dept. Ask if they know a good mobile paint repair guy. There are at least a few in our area that could do it in an afternoon, unless it is really big, like bigger than a car door. If its is more than one color, it could take a little longer. I have done many repairs on RV's, but mostly cars for the last 25 years.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:57 AM   #3

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
thor paint

I scratched the metal trim where the sides meet the front cap, (all same color)
Called thor for the paint touch up, they gave me the code and said I can get the touchup from the dealer on special order. It was expensive and the dealer is 4 hours away (8 hours round trip).
went to a local auto paint supplier with thor code and paperwork, they couldn't figure it out and told me to bring the motorhome to them and they could scan the paint, there was a 1 quart minimum and was expensive.
I only needed to touch up a size of a fingernail, so I took the refrigerator vent off and had them scan it at home depot. It is a near match in color,and the pint was inexpensive.
Any good auto paint supplier should be able to scan and match the color.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
You might check with a local large car dealer service dept. Ask if they know a good mobile paint repair guy. There are at least a few in our area that could do it in an afternoon, unless it is really big, like bigger than a car door. If its is more than one color, it could take a little longer. I have done many repairs on RV's, but mostly cars for the last 25 years.
I think I may have to wait. I did a lot of cars in my past as well, though none were gel coat. I started the repair and had someone look into finishing. I gave him the fridge vent, like Beau. I could see it was lighter as well but when he brought the pint by, it was too dark. If I wait until Idaho, I may ask for more detailed information about what you mention in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
...Called thor for the paint touch up, they gave me the code and said I can get the touchup from the dealer on special order. It was expensive and the dealer is 4 hours away (8 hours round trip).
went to a local auto paint supplier with thor code and paperwork, they couldn't figure it out and told me to bring the motorhome to them and they could scan the paint, there was a 1 quart minimum and was expensive.
I only needed to touch up a size of a fingernail, so I took the refrigerator vent off and had them scan it at home depot. It is a near match in color,and the pint was inexpensive.
Any good auto paint supplier should be able to scan and match the color.
I got the code from Thor as well: Champagne 8231. I think that's a trim code and not a paint code because I wound up giving the guy my fridge vent. Long story short, he came back with paint that was too dark. He tried a little pressure tactic that didn't work, packed up his stuff and left. Just as well. I picked up a can of Rustoleum from Wally's. The cap is a dead match but the paint dries a shade light. If I hadn't lost my fading touch, I'd finish this job myself but if I don't lay the paint right, I can cut and buff until the cows come home and it'll never look stock.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #5

THOR #12189
Quick Followup

Thor pointed me to Industrial Supplies in Elkhart, IN. Nicest bunch of folks you'll ever talk to. Anyway, I have the paint. Now if it'd warm up and stop snowing...