Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #12508
Body Separation

So I started out the day with a battery issue and while walking around my coach noticed what appears to be a much bigger issue. It look as though the side of my house is separating from the cab back. My 1 year warranty ended last month, where do I begin?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nJ%Zph4AR%KR0v81iLKOyg.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	16239   Click image for larger version

Name:	8CVzCWJ9TmmHXQm6W9dNJQ.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	16240  

Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I can not help you, but to me its hard to understand the pictures. I think you need to explain some more.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
not long after mine ran out of warranty I found a very similar issue...If I'm understanding your pictures mine was basically in the same area.....mine was in that little short stand off wall that sticks out to the side just behind the passenger side door...right along the bottom.

Mine has upholstered walls just inside the door behind the passenger and driver's seat, with little decorative buttons. These buttons or simple snaps taht pry right off to reveal screws....a few screws and these upholstered panels come off. I found that these walls are plywood and on my passenger side it was rotted.

Traced mine to a poor build at the factory...I'm confident that it had been leaking since the day they drove it out of the factory door. Had a bad seal at the front intersection...corner of the roof membrane, the nose cone, and the side wall. Also the nose cone was cut short and basically had no sealing surface area at all under the corner insert trim.

I only hope that yours isn't as bad as mine was.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

THOR #908
oh, by the way...the warranty prob wouldn't have mattered anyway. The warranty against this kind of thing was very short as I recall. They slough off leaks as routine maintenance and caulking..... so their poor building is our fault for not catching it in time.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #5

THOR #12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
not long after mine ran out of warranty I found a very similar issue...If I'm understanding your pictures mine was basically in the same area.....mine was in that little short stand off wall that sticks out to the side just behind the passenger side door...right along the bottom.

Mine has upholstered walls just inside the door behind the passenger and driver's seat, with little decorative buttons. These buttons or simple snaps taht pry right off to reveal screws....a few screws and these upholstered panels come off. I found that these walls are plywood and on my passenger side it was rotted.

Traced mine to a poor build at the factory...I'm confident that it had been leaking since the day they drove it out of the factory door. Had a bad seal at the front intersection...corner of the roof membrane, the nose cone, and the side wall. Also the nose cone was cut short and basically had no sealing surface area at all under the corner insert trim.

I only hope that yours isn't as bad as mine was.

Thanks for replying. This appears to be what’s happening. Can I ask how you fixed the issue and how much you sunk into repairs?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #6

THOR #12508
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I can not help you, but to me its hard to understand the pictures. I think you need to explain some more.

So this is right behind the driver side door on a class C. the corner that connects the side of the RV to the cab is pulling apart. Its worse at the bottom where I have the pictures and is working up. I think the main issue is that the driver side of the RV is one long slide out so they have a channel that runs along the top to direct the water past each side. This channel stop right above this corner to this winter has been a constant thaw and freeze along this corner where all of the water drains from the roof. Being only a year old I didnt think the caulking/sealing would fail this quickly.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:49 AM   #7

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfoard View Post
Thanks for replying. This appears to be what’s happening. Can I ask how you fixed the issue and how much you sunk into repairs?
Unfortunately I don't have the covered workshop or equipment to have made a really proper repair...which would have been to pull the wall out entirely and to replace it.

I think I was able to make an ok repair though...a bit of a jury rig...but fairly solid repair.

I pulled the pre-bent corner insert molding off the nose cone, to open up the seam all the way from the roof gutter line down around the nose. Mine had a little bit of wood at the tip of the nosecone, but nothing else except for that side wall. I dug out every bit of the rot I could get, down to solid wood.

Then I treated the wood with https://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

I sealed the corner trim with a combination of butyl tape, eternabond double stick, and eternabond webseal...all under the corner trim. Then I had the entire roof treated by rvroof.com and they sealed over the corner trim. (he said he'd never do it again, because they are set up to spray the roof, not down around on the sides.

After the rig was dried in, I Patched the wood, scarfing in new wood where I could and filling with west marine epoxy where I couldn't replace it.

I also pulled open the nose from the inside to make sure there wasn't any water damage in there.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

THOR #12508
Thanks for the info. In all of your experience is there any way to get Thor to cover this? Secondly has anybody had a good experience with extended warranties?