Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2016, 11:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
One of THE best RV Tire Pressure Articles to read!

How To Set the Tire Pressure in Your RV

Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Fit RV guys are the same one that made the black tank cleanout comparison video:

They are pretty good.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:21 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Good article on tire pressures... one thing I note is his mention that the rig wouldn't be that heavy again but also says that extra 500lb was behind the rear axel ... if so, when that weight is removed it will ONLY lighten the load for the rear axel and in doing so it will actually ADD weight to the front tires.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
I have been running 75 and the MH drives great! Loaded or empty.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Good article on tire pressures... one thing I note is his mention that the rig wouldn't be that heavy again but also says that extra 500lb was behind the rear axel ... if so, when that weight is removed it will ONLY lighten the load for the rear axel and in doing so it will actually ADD weight to the front tires.
That's an excellent point. Sometimes loading a vehicle may actually unload one of the axles -- typically the front axle. Therefore, if tire pressure is set based on maximum loaded weight, then occasionally running lighter overall may overload the front tires.

Most people can probably tell if that's ever going to be an issue for them, but if not, it may be worthwhile to weigh the motorhome both fully loaded and also as empty as you'd likely drive it; and then use highest load for each axle.

I fall in that exception. My van is an extended Ford E-Series with long rear overhang, and maximum load is when carrying a bunch of heavy stuff on a double-receiver hitch carrier that sits about 7-feet behind rear axle. For example, if I placed 400 pounds total on carrier, the front wheels will be unloaded by about 200 pounds. And the rear axle will get an extra 600 pounds instead of the 400 pounds.

In my case if I set front tire pressure based on maximum overall vehicle load, I could then overload the front tires when I drove without the heavy carrier hanging far off the back.

Looking at pictures of motorhomes with long rear overhangs that have a large rear cargo area, and/or carry extra weight on a rear cargo carrier, it's easy to see how this could happen. This picture is a good visual on how extra load could unload the front tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	2388  
Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
Tire Pressures

A good primer. Be sure you know what specifically the manufacturer of your tires recommends for inflation on their own websites. Firestone, on their 19.5" tires on most class A's, recommends no less than 95#'s, for the proper rigidity of the side walls, irregardless of the weight on the axel.

Lowering inflations to axel weight ratings will often give you a softer, more compliant ride, but it affects other areas of the suspension. Be sure you are aware of ALL the variables when selecting the inflation that works best for you.