Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Great video on the tester...

Thanks really good video I'm ordering it can't wait till it comes.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Thanks! I use it often...takes 100% of the guess work out of the equation. I was in the battery business many years ago...it's the only way to know for sure...just be sure they have full charge before testing. Charge them full, let them rest one hour then zap them. Instant results.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A tester is now on my "2020 list".
Old 01-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Lots of retailers sell these. Amazon is quickest. This tester does not lie. Charge batteries fully, then test them. Ted...he said the TV does clear up when the switch is put in "store" position.

https://www.jbtools.com/otc-3181-130...yABEgLEJ_D_BwE
I musta missed that. Basically that tells us his converter is putting out too much RF when loaded or a poorly filtered DC to the Antenna Amplifier. Could also be due to a poorly connected/grounded coax that is letting "normal" RF from the converter in to the signal line.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html
https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons...arbor-freight/
Maybe the 20% off coupon will work for this purchase.

If I'm wrong, tell me why:
This technology is as old as household electricity itself.
I don't think anything has changed enough to where an inexpensive unit wouldn't be perfectly fine for our occasional use.

Edit:
I didn't see that Ed had posted a link.
This is just an alternative.
If I used one every day, I'd sure buy the one Ed posted instead of trying to find a place to set my choice down somewhere.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If they are in parallel they will both read the same voltage unless you remove a cable or 2 to disconnect the parallel connection. 11.5 VDC is a dead battery. cut...

For the OP - when you put the switch in STORE and your converter fan stops, does your TV picture clear up?
On the first, we both knew that so I was trying not to speak down to the OP.

On the second, yes he/she ,mentions it clears up. To your point, let's see what happens with the charge/load test theory though first. I'll be glad to bow out of this convo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
cut...
While plugged into Shore power you hit store /use switch to store the converter fan goes off and the TV clears up. cut...
Old 01-16-2020, 10:53 PM   #27

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gritz carlton View Post
thanks! I use it often...takes 100% of the guess work out of the equation. I was in the battery business many years ago...it's the only way to know for sure...just be sure they have full charge before testing. Charge them full, let them rest one hour then zap them. Instant results.
cool !!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #28

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Only one has to be bad to cause the converter to want to charge the batteries. Jamie's assertion for 11.5 is easily proofed. Assuming they're wired parallel, which side did the 11.5 come from, or did both read 11.5. If both, something's either seriously wrong, the coach was stored with use/store in the 'Use' position or the batteries are bad. BTW, the second item can and will slowly drain the battery - and eventually kill it. Once a battery is fully dead, the cells are at risk and you may never get it back.

Regardless, take the batteries back out and have them stress tested. Most auto parts chains will do this free of charge. It's the easiest, least expensive place to start. I'd hesitate to take them back to Advance, though taking them to Auto Zone may put dollar signs in their eyes too. Flip a coin.
Thanks so much for your feedback I have taken a little bit of everybody's advice and I'm going to apply. I'm the kind of person that needs all the luck he can get and then that still not enough again thanks
Old 01-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #29

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Thanks so much for your feedback I have taken a little bit of everybody's advice and I'm going to apply. I'm the kind of person that needs all the luck he can get and then that still not enough again thanks
YW. If you don't find a bad cell at 11.5, I'd be highly surprised.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:38 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html
https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons...arbor-freight/
Maybe the 20% off coupon will work for this purchase.

If I'm wrong, tell me why:
This technology is as old as household electricity itself.
I don't think anything has changed enough to where an inexpensive unit wouldn't be perfectly fine for our occasional use.

Edit:
I didn't see that Ed had posted a link.
This is just an alternative.
If I used one every day, I'd sure buy the one Ed posted instead of trying to find a place to set my choice down somewhere.
That's the one I have and it works fine.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 AM   #31

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
So it sounds like you got the last of the "tall" Axis windshields. Ours was not the taller one and I still was concerned but had no problems in the 3 years we owned it. I do not think that there is anything that can be done with the tall one you have. It does not matter that the Thor service person had no information on the subject. It was a bad idea to have one that tall with a lack of engineering as far as stress was concerned.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:49 AM   #32

THOR #1249
Quote:
Is it possible that both the house batteries are bad I bought them from Advance Auto Parts. I'm going to put my battery charger on them and bring them up to full charge. Wish I had a load tester. Watch you said sounds so correct. I got a good Camping believe it or not I just hate the 2-hour trip up there leave it and then have to go back to get it.
Advance should do a load test on your batteries for free. And replace under warranty with or without pro-rate.
Sorry you are having so many problems with your coach.

I have had mine over 4 years now and I am still working out the wrinkles. I try to work them out before a trip and not on a trip......if possible.

As a side note, I get big time static on tv, making it unwatchable if the bathroom fan is running. I could install a filter, but just have gotten around to it.
Good luck.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:28 AM   #33

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
So it sounds like you got the last of the "tall" Axis windshields. Ours was not the taller one and I still was concerned but had no problems in the 3 years we owned it. I do not think that there is anything that can be done with the tall one you have. It does not matter that the Thor service person had no information on the subject. It was a bad idea to have one that tall with a lack of engineering as far as stress was concerned.
Actually mine's one of the first of the shorter windshields. The day we picked it up it was very cold and they had it running with the defroster on .While we were standing there with a Thor representative visiting Camping World and we were just talkin and we watch the crack start at the bottom and run all the way up the windshield . Later we seen him and another gentleman with a measuring tape checking out the windshield really close. He promised to make it good and they did. My next windshield was I decided to clean the windshield because it had some bugs on it and I was just squirting water on it and it cracked. Exact same place almost look like a duplicate. Contacted Thor they told me to take pictures they also made that one good. Now I'm on my third windshield and it's got me really thinking what's going on. Hopefully I won't have any more troubles but I do worry that thor won't continue to replace it. It's got me scared to wash the windshield. As that windshield is very expensive.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #34

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Is this information incorrect?
Has the law changed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2020-01-16-19-03-06.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	22225  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:38 AM   #35

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
We got a rock thrown up on our 2016 about 20 minutes before our final destination in Idaho. Put a star burst right in the lower middle which we had epoxy fixed before we returned. It never did crack. I do have to say, the windshields were a great idea in concept.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:57 AM   #36

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Is this information incorrect?
Has the law changed?
Thank you sir I'm going to check into that.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #37

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
We got a rock thrown up on our 2016 about 20 minutes before our final destination in Idaho. Put a star burst right in the lower middle which we had epoxy fixed before we returned. It never did crack. I do have to say, the windshields were a great idea in concept.
I'm insured through Camping World I wasn't aware that there was a deductible for a windshield. There certainly is with National General Insurance. $1,000 deductible. Or more money of course I can get a zero deductible. Quite a bit of difference in premium. My home and autos are with Allstate my agents said they have a zero deductible for the windshield on motorhome's however the premium is a bit High. I recently purchased the Rain-X windshield repair kit for chips. Hopefully hold me over till I can get to a professional. More than glad that you're not having any trouble hope this is my last windshield .Idaho and the Tetons are definitely on my wish list of places to visit we've made it as far as Wyoming from South Carolina turn back cause of ice and snow. Retirement comes this August hopefully be able to stay out longer and see more this great country.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #38

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Advance should do a load test on your batteries for free. And replace under warranty with or without pro-rate.
Sorry you are having so many problems with your coach.

I have had mine over 4 years now and I am still working out the wrinkles. I try to work them out before a trip and not on a trip......if possible.

As a side note, I get big time static on tv, making it unwatchable if the bathroom fan is running. I could install a filter, but just have gotten around to it.
Good luck.
Luck key thing to owning a Thor motorhome Lol . We all need words of encouragement after all it's supposed to be fun.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I know posting this will jinx me but: Our 2014 tall windshield is still the original without any cracks or stone chips and it doesn't leak.

I think the first year or two windshields were overengineered and then they tried to save a little $$ causing all the cracks which resulted with the redesigned shorter windshield.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #40

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
This sounds like an issue with the specs given to the glass manufacturers. Seems the windshield has stress in it (bending to fit) from not having a smooth, even bed and pressure.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote