Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 AM   #41

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
So it sounds like you got the last of the "tall" Axis windshields. Ours was not the taller one and I still was concerned but had no problems in the 3 years we owned it. I do not think that there is anything that can be done with the tall one you have. It does not matter that the Thor service person had no information on the subject. It was a bad idea to have one that tall with a lack of engineering as far as stress was concerned.

Thor recommended I take mine to a glass shop in south Pittsburg Tennessee they pulled out my fourth cracked windshield cleaned everything out of grooves put in new type inside gasket and outside gasket replaced the glass. I’ve never had another problem that was three years and 26000 miles ago. Knock on wood

Old 01-18-2020, 02:42 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Just a thought and I'm no battery expert. Could this possibly be simply weak cable connections? Several of mine were loose, reception improved after I tightened them up. Splitter was behind microwave.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #43

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I know posting this will jinx me but: Our 2014 tall windshield is still the original without any cracks or stone chips and it doesn't leak.

I think the first year or two windshields were overengineered and then they tried to save a little $$ causing all the cracks which resulted with the redesigned shorter windshield.
Hopefully the manufacturer of these windshield has got it figured out seems like later model ones are not having any trouble. As far as I know. I certainly hope you never have any problems with your windshield as it could get expensive. They told me where to go to have it replaced . I dropped it off was looking around look like a fairly Shady part of town if you know what I mean. No fence no security maybe they had a camera who knows luckily nothing was borrowed and I picked it up the next day. Intotal a 3-hour drive.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #44

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
What cure could the phone guy have for a windshield problem on an out of warranty vehicle?
If you tell us the exact problem you'll possibly get an exact cure from us here on this forum.

The TV and converter have nothing to do with Thor. Except for Thor supplying a TV and a converter, there is nothing for them to to do or anything they even need knowledge of.

Give us information, we'll give you information.
It has a lot to do with Thor since you wire them wrong so often. My HDMI cable was stuffed behind Microwave instead of going to Electronics cabinet. My external Antenna Cable wasn't hooked up to splitter inside. Need I go on.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #45

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Just a thought and I'm no battery expert. Could this possibly be simply weak cable connections? Several of mine were loose, reception improved after I tightened them up. Splitter was behind microwave.
Thanks mr. Sunshine sure like to meet up with you at one of those get together's .That is something I haven't thought of maybe I have multiple problems just like in real life. I'm trying to cover all the bases . Converter coming Saturday along with the guy to put it in. Load tester for my batteries came yesterday it's been too cold to get outside to check .I think we might just do it all Saturday weather permitting. And my mechanic doesn't party too hard Friday night. Lol
Old 01-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #46

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
It has a lot to do with Thor since you wire them wrong so often. My HDMI cable was stuffed behind Microwave instead of going to Electronics cabinet. My external Antenna Cable wasn't hooked up to splitter inside. Need I go on.
Sounds like you truly understand my frustration with Thor Motor Coach. I've had some really good experiences with them and some really bad. With the price of these things quality control should be number one .They don't have quality control that's the problem. It's up to the buyer to go through and check and recheck everything that they have done. I had a fairly long punch list myself. Mostly I did myself taking it back to the dealer was such a big hassle .Plus time and mileage as it's about an hour and a half one way. Having to leave it then go back gas both ways adds up. Fortunately for me I'll probably have the best Camping World in the USA according to what I've been reading. Most people just seem to hate them.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #47

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
Remember all RV builders believe R&R is part of the Recreation we buy these things for. Every one should come with a tool kit and extra parts.

Edgewater 205 EXP
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #48

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #11108
Axis/Vegas windshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Just once I would like to go out to my Thor axis 2016 and something not be wrong with it. I bought it because I have health issues and my doctor lives at the coast and it's very expensive to stay at a hotel so I decided to buy my own bed. plugged into Shore power the converter fan runs constantly and the TV has a great amount of static so much you can't watch it. I called Thor talk to a guy named Tom I don't know why he answers the phone because he doesn't know anything about them especially the windshield problems. Now you tell me how you can work at Thor and not know there's a problem with the axis and Vegas windshields I'm not calling him a liar but that sure seems strange to me.
There was definitely an issue with the early model Axis/Vegas windshields but have not heard of many issues with the new ones. Thor changed over to the new-smaller windshields sometime in 2015. My 2016 Vegas was built in Dec/15 and has the new design. When I bought the unit I knew about this issue and specifically looked for the new design windshield. The original design was taller and curved almost into the roof. This resulted in an added strain and caused lots of stress cracked windshields. My dealer told me two of the old ones broke the windshields just sitting on the lot and it was a tough job to place and seal the replacements. They had no issue with the new design.

For those that have never noticed the difference, the easiest way to tell is to compare the top of the windshield to the side windows. With the early design the top of the windshield is higher than the top of the side windows. With the new design the windshield is slightly lower than the side windows.

If you have the old design windshield I would have then check the mounting surface to ensure it is as true as possible before installing the replacement glass. Still, there are a lot of the old design out there and they don't all break. Not sure what else can be done.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:16 AM   #49

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Just once I would like to go out to my Thor axis 2016 and something not be wrong with it. I bought it because I have health issues and my doctor lives at the coast and it's very expensive to stay at a hotel so I decided to buy my own bed. plugged into Shore power the converter fan runs constantly and the TV has a great amount of static so much you can't watch it. I called Thor talk to a guy named Tom I don't know why he answers the phone because he doesn't know anything about them especially the windshield problems. Now you tell me how you can work at Thor and not know there's a problem with the axis and Vegas windshields I'm not calling him a liar but that sure seems strange to me.
I have dealt with Tom Overton on MANY occasions and find him knowledgeable and very helpful. I had a 2017 Axis before we bought our 2018 Windsport 29m. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of problems are you having bro??
Old 01-23-2020, 12:49 AM   #50

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
This reply is correct. The original run of these units had a much taller windshield than is currently being used. Thor had so much trouble that they shorten the windshield to solve the issue. They want to run from this issue.
I recently purchased Magnashades for my 2018 27.7 unit. Magnashade has had several Vega/Axis units come to their factory to have product produced. They have found several different size windshield in these units.
If the windshield continues to bother you. Get it replaced and trade up fast.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:13 AM   #51

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Do you suppose the fan motor is bad emitting a low frequency that the tv is picking up?
Kinda like the older cars that had alt noise in the radio,I have an older battery charger and if I hook to my old truck I can hear the hum from the charger,do they make a noise filter in 110v you could try?
Old 01-23-2020, 03:14 AM   #52

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow that is very odd. I would suggest that this sounds like a converter problem but when put in Store it clears up...

Oooh! Measure the coach battery voltage when in Store--I bet you have a bad battery which is causing the converter to dump a bunch of current (which is also causing a lower-than-normal 12V rail when the battery is online causing the amplifier for the TV to not work correctly).
Great deductions Jamie! I am a great believer that troubleshooting is a skill....
Old 01-23-2020, 03:29 AM   #53

Model: Tuscany xte 40 ax
State: Illinois
THOR #14029
Quote:
Yes sir the converter fan shuts down and the TV clears right up all the appliances refrigerator air conditioner microwaves they all work just fine .In the store position hooked up to shore power . It's when I switch to use is when the trouble starts .So much good advice is hard to take it all in but I do appreciate it .I'm going to do what you say going to disconnect then charge them both up. Before I pull them out of the stairwell. I priced the load tester more than a fair price I'm going to order it.
Have this checked out before something goes wrong. Electrical malfunctioning can lead to fire or damage to your vehicle. Do not guess or go by others guessing to what my be the cause.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:48 AM   #54

Model: Hurrican 34J
State: Texas
THOR #4107
Check you Inverter/Converter model and find the User Guide online, or on the package with all the papers you received with your RV.
My Hurricane 34J came with a WFCO Ultra III and the user guide has some troubleshooting you can do yourself.
with Shore power, the inverter is trying to power all your 12v equipment while trickle-charging your battery.
Also check to make sure your ShorePower cable and inverter connector are in good conditions and specially that they both have proper Ground, which usually will eliminate static electricity.
You can get a tester or use a multimeter to check for AC voltage between neutral and ground. you should have a small voltage, usually 2 to 5 volts. if ZERO then you ground and neutral are shorted and that can lead to Static electricity built up and after your TV.
Happy Camping!
Old 01-23-2020, 11:44 AM   #55

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Sounds like your at wits end mate, two choices, get stalled out on a set of busy RR tracks or trade it in for a new one... it's only money
BB
PS: be sure it's a dealership that offers the overnight orientation 👍 stay until everything operates like it should.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #56
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Great deductions Jamie! I am a great believer that troubleshooting is a skill....
Yeah I write software all day: 10% is coming up with new stuff, 90% is fixing what is broken in the new stuff.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #57

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
When someone comes to the forum with a question they are looking for help not smartalec comments. If you need more information simply ask for it, don't get snooty. Someday it may be you asking for help.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #58

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Wisconsin
THOR #12433
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Great video on the tester...

good video Don, I'm going to get one of those testers, someday I will need it.I'll have to watch the video again when I need to use it, it's just a memory thing. Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #59
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
When someone comes to the forum with a question they are looking for help not smartalec comments. If you need more information simply ask for it, don't get snooty. Someday it may be you asking for help.
Directed at? HINT: the "QUOTE" button does indeed work.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #60

State: Georgia
THOR #17416
Quote:
I have tooo many problems to list here but one that is a quick fix is I had TV problems and after a lot of troubleshooting I found that the external connector was not properly installed. I removed the connector and cut off the end and replaced the end in the correct way, Bam problem solved. The chassis is great but the coach has a lot,i mean a lot of quality control problems.