Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Broken part dragging on the road

Driving through Montana this week we began hearing a grinding noise when going over bumps. It quickly progressed to a constant grinding. Pulled over and found this heavy gauge 6 foot piece of steel dragging on the road. It appears to be a heat shield that was spot welded about every 10 inches to the right side of the frame (2015 F 53, 18,000 GVWR). About half of the welds were broken allowing one end (fortunately the back end!) to drag. I was able to crawl under and break the remaining welds and so remove the entire piece. I think it will be OK without it. It might be a Ford part as it is powder coated the same as the frame. Has anyone else heard of this part falling off or of being of any particular use in the first place?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	18491

Old 06-25-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Probably to shield the floor of the unit from getting to hot---and maybe starting a fire, or melting something in the coach.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:19 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Driving through Montana this week we began hearing a grinding noise when going over bumps. It quickly progressed to a constant grinding. Pulled over and found this heavy gauge 6 foot piece of steel dragging on the road. It appears to be a heat shield that was spot welded about every 10 inches to the right side of the frame (2015 F 53, 18,000 GVWR). About half of the welds were broken allowing one end (fortunately the back end!) to drag. I was able to crawl under and break the remaining welds and so remove the entire piece. I think it will be OK without it. It might be a Ford part as it is powder coated the same as the frame. Has anyone else heard of this part falling off or of being of any particular use in the first place?Attachment 18491
If it is a Thor MC then it is a MorRide part added to the Ford chassis by MorRide.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:24 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
I would have to crawl under my F53 and see if we have the piece on ours. Did U say it was off the passenger side of the frame? Unfortunately from the pics I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to the lack of need for the piece. You may be able to do without but it has to serve some function, Ford or Thor wouldn't have wasted the time ($$) to put it on.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:00 AM   #5

THOR #6826
Yes it was welded to the outside of the passenger side frame rail extending the length of the exhaust system from about the middle of the transmission back - which on my coach exits on the drivers side forward of the rear wheel. It hangs edgewise, I.e. with the flat sides facing sideways. It’s a pretty stout piece of steel but I don’t see anything outboard of it that really needs any protection. Maybe the frame is prepared for different applications or models some of which are different underneath. I expect that if I ask the automatic response will be to take it to my dealer for evaluation and repair and I’m not greatly inclined to do so at this point.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I would contact MorRide and send them pictures. It has to serve some purpose...my guess being a shield from exhaust heat or a piece to create a "wind channel" to assist with exhaust cooling. The cab and chassis is delivered to Thor ready for the body and Thor probably wouldn't have any idea what it's for....much less a dealer.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Is there any way to support it on the side that isn't tacked to the frame?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I would contact MorRide and send them pictures. It has to serve some purpose...my guess being a shield from exhaust heat or a piece to create a "wind channel" to assist with exhaust cooling. The cab and chassis is delivered to Thor ready for the body and Thor probably wouldn't have any idea what it's for....much less a dealer.

That’s a good idea. It’s a good foot from the exhaust system and all of the wiring and other items are up along the frame anyways and so are already protected. The propane tank is nearby but it has its own shield.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #9

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Is there any way to support it on the side that isn't tacked to the frame?

I’m not a welder but I probably could figure out a way to bolt it back on so it would stay for sure. I was about 2,000 miles into a 7,000 mile trip when it broke and I’ve driven about 1500 more miles now without it. Crawled underneath the other day at out camp site to better study things than I could do on the side of the road and I still don’t see how it served much of any purpose.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Wow, its a good think you found it and removed it before it fell off an hit a car or person.

That will leave a mark.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
This is how I would likely do it, drill 3/16" holes and use zip screws, the ones with a drill point at the end.
Pre drilling is easier than waiting on the zip screw point to dig through.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:44 AM   #12

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
This is how I would likely do it, drill 3/16" holes and use zip screws, the ones with a drill point at the end.
Pre drilling is easier than waiting on the zip screw point to dig through.

I’d have to drill through the frame rail but it’s just a “C” section so it shouldn’t be too hard. I’ll take a good look when I get home next month. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
I’d have to drill through the frame rail but it’s just a “C” section so it shouldn’t be too hard. I’ll take a good look when I get home next month. I appreciate the suggestion.

My little nugget of advice...do not drill on frames...anywhere. Lightly tack welding is OK but laying to much heat into it or drilling holes in it can be a serious issue.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #14

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
My little nugget of advice...do not drill on frames...anywhere. Lightly tack welding is OK but laying to much heat into it or drilling holes in it can be a serious issue.

Had that thought as well. I’ve been about 2,000 miles now without the part and spent several hours stuck in city traffic with the engine running but sitting still. Went underneath today and I don’t see anything the worse for it and I still don’t see anything at risk. I’m close to deciding to just not worry about it.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I can understand why you'd want to just let "sleeping dogs lie"; but please consider the cumulative effect of how that missing shield might change things...

I'm with Gritz: no drilling on frames.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:46 PM   #16

THOR #6826
Quote:
I can understand why you'd want to just let "sleeping dogs lie"; but please consider the cumulative effect of how that missing shield might change things...

Well there’s truck and trailer place near my house and I might run by and see what they’d charge to weld it back on. It sure couldn’t hurt to have it back where it came from. Appreciate the thoughts!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
24,000 lbs and heaver frames have the 50,000 psi frame rails (hardened steel). The 16,000 lbs to 22,000 lbs frames use 36,000 psi steel which is mild steel. Adding Sumo springs which does not void the Ford warranty requires several holes for each spring. A plane old high speed steel drill goes right through the 9.16"x3.0"x0.25" frame rail.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Well there’s truck and trailer place near my house and I might run by and see what they’d charge to weld it back on. It sure couldn’t hurt to have it back where it came from. Appreciate the thoughts!
Good luck with getting it nailed back in place!
Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 AM   #19

THOR #6826
Quote:
Good luck with getting it nailed back in place!

That’s IT! I should nail it back on so I don’t have to drill any holes! Should have thought of that earlier!!
Old 07-01-2019, 02:41 AM   #20

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Quote:

I say don't drill frame either because it might just void any warranty and also creates a start for frame to rust out