Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10440
Bug/Rodent prevention in a coach

My husband and I just purchased a 2017 Thor Gemini 23TB. It's perfect since i work a 4/10 shift 70 miles away from home. I just live away from home for 4 days. I work at a Wastewater plant and seasonally we get an abundance of spiders at the plant. Im seeking advice as to how to keep bugs and rodents out of a coach. Is there sealants or repellents that help? What are some experiences out there that i might benefit from? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We try to keep spider and ants away and out of our coach. I keep a gallon jug of bug spray handy and use it weekly if we are stationary for awhile. I spray it all around the coach especially anything touching the ground (tires, cords, hoses, landing legs, etc.). About every 3 or 5 months I will put 5 or 6 of those little plastic ant trap boxes in the lower storage areas, pantry, and under kitchen sink area.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #3

THOR #10440
Thanks Joe-FL
Old 01-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Peppermint oil on strategically-placed cotton balls...
It seems to keep ALL of the creepy-crawlies out!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
for bugs...I'd just spray some of that long lasting house spray inside, and outside as much of the suspension and undercarriage as you can get at. Just spray right after you park, and it'll last a good while. Something like that ortho home defense works well. I used buy the expensive pro-grade stuff at a diy pest control place, but found this stuff you can buy at the hardware store works pretty good.

rodents....I've read some success stories with products like fresh cab, but I've read just as many failures.

Are you parking at the WWTP? I think I'd just put some bait stations all around and hope to kill them before they get too close.... either that, or get a pellet gun and some night vision goggles for some good sport.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

THOR #10440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Peppermint oil on strategically-placed cotton balls...

It seems to keep ALL of the creepy-crawlies out!

Thanks Bob
Old 01-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #7

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
TERRO® Ant Killer & DIY Home Pest Control | Kill Bugs & Insects

For bugs I've had good success with their products
Old 01-28-2018, 03:42 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 32.1
State: Alaska
THOR #7977
I am trying mothballs this year. We placed them inside empty water bottles and about 8 strategic locations inside the rv and one on the inside of each wheel. Normally we have a field mouse or 5 every winter. This year, the baited traps are still empty and baited. The mothball smell is fairly mild and should dissipate with a little ventilation.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If you are constantly hookup to power plug in one of the sonic pest repellents. I thought they were a hoax, but after having one plugged in for the last 3-4 years & not so much as a cob web I've realized they actually work.
It's claimed that dryer sheets, Irish Spring soap bars supposedly work.
Where I have mine stored I have no power, but as mentioned previously spray Home Defense spray monthly & spread some green pellets bought at Tractor Supply all around outside to stop critters, so far all is good.
Sorry, I'd rather have the pest than the awful smell of moth balls.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Ear tags for cows work great! Hang a few at selected locations and no more creepy crawlers. The ear tags also keep mud dobber hornets from building nests. I buy a box of tags from Tractor Supply once a year and hang with small zip ties, I put two in the engine compartment.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #11

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Ear tags for cows work great! Hang a few at selected locations and no more creepy crawlers. The ear tags also keep mud dobber hornets from building nests. I buy a box of tags from Tractor Supply once a year and hang with small zip ties, I put two in the engine compartment.
Hi
We also have a Gemini. Parked all summer, in driveway,while building pavilion never had a problem. Winterized and parked under pavilion, and had , by the looks of there droppings a whole colony. Tried irish spring bar soap. They ate it. Currently using several ways.
1. Dryer sheets on counter tops, in cabinet
2. Product at home depot, is small sawdust bag scented with pepper mint. Put on dash,and around drivers compartment.
3.theres a product on internet, its a oily spray that you spray under carriage. Not alot of room to move around down there, but this is war.
3.glue traps work,but after temperature drops are useless.
4.we have a dog that thinks its his camper, so just for the wimter I put one of those plastic box traps with poison. If you are lucky enough to find carcass make sure dog don't get ahold of it. Bait box gets thrown away during summer.
5.actual pepper mint spray.
Haven't tried a flame thrower yet. But like I said ,this is war. Good luck ,hope u share your results, and hope to hear from any outher rv's who had luck with a product.