Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2016, 12:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
A/C Extended Warranty

I was just reading through all the materials that were supplied with my new Vegas 25.3, and I found an offer for an extended warranty on the rooftop air conditioner.

The standard warranty is for two years. The extended warranty covers an additional three years after that, but is for parts only, no labor. The cost is $89.95, non-renewable and non-refundable. It must be purchased within 90 days of original delivery.

My thinking is that any factory defect will most likely show up within two years, and if there are no problems after 24 months, the chances of a problem in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th year are much lower. An A/C should last more than five years under normal usage.

Also, I do not know if I will keep this unit for five years, I may trade or sell it.

So what do you think....would you spend the extra $90 for the warranty?

Old 12-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
From what I am reading from you I would say no!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I would agree to no. RV A/C units seldom fail and when they do it usually means a freon leak which cannot be repaired. Unlike car A/C units the rooftop RV A/C units have no fittings to recharge them (at least the Dometic). So if it fails, you have to replace the whole thing. It cost me $895 including labor to replace the one that failed on me. One in 10 years. And that one, I am convinced was because it was on an RV camp generator in Canada that surged.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
I also would say no... some times the labor is much higher than the parts. Might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a new A/C unit if need be. You can buy one 400 to 500 bucks or so and not hard to put in. I would much rather have a new one in the 3rd 4th or 5th year. That way I wont have to worry about it again for a few year. Plus a lot of these units out last the motor home....
Old 12-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5913
Tell them you want the warranty years 10-15!!!🤓🤓🤓🤓. Heck a whole new one is about $700. They want to offer you a chance they wil cover the parts for $96. Then you will likely have to submit a claim to get it?

Put the $96 in a bank account with the money from every other extended warranty you were going to buy and you will come out way ahead!