Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 01:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #13370
A/C recharging port

I have a 2015 Thor Axis (F 350 chassis I think) and cannot find the low pressure
A/C inlet to top off the A/C system, which is a bit low and blows cold intermittently. The high pressure port and sight glass is right up front (go figure)
but haven't found the low pressure so I can give it a squirt. Does anyone here
know where it might be located (I have the 25.1 Axis)? Thanks for your help!

Old 05-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #2013
I am having the same trouble with my 2016 Vegas. I am new to posting, but I see that no one has yet answered your question. I was trying to find the low pressure port this afternoon. If I have located the current port, it is just right of the high pressure port (If you are facing it) and tucked back and down a little bit. You will probably have to lift your air duct hose to be able to see it. It is very close to a rail. Mine has a clear cap on it instead of blue cap. So I am hoping it is truly the low pressure port. I will attempt to insert a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas Low Pressure Port.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	17440  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
It seems like someone mentioned last year that you could NOT add refrigerant to the RV type AC units. But I may be wrong.

But a month ago I came across a Youtube were an AC guy added a port to the low (or was it high) pressure line (some sort of self tap connector simular to taping into a copper line for ice maker on a frig). Do a search for something like that. It was very informative.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Never mind. I was talking about the Roof AC unit and I think your talking about the cab AC unit from Ford. Oops.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #5313
The low pressure port is behind high port and up. A bit of a pain to reach. I use a regular set of gauges. Would be tough with the cans that come with hose attached.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewby View Post
I am having the same trouble with my 2016 Vegas. I am new to posting, but I see that no one has yet answered your question. I was trying to find the low pressure port this afternoon. If I have located the current port, it is just right of the high pressure port (If you are facing it) and tucked back and down a little bit. You will probably have to lift your air duct hose to be able to see it. It is very close to a rail. Mine has a clear cap on it instead of blue cap. So I am hoping it is truly the low pressure port. I will attempt to insert a picture of it.
The high and low pressure ports are differant sizes, the smaller is the low side.
You can't/shouldn't get your hose on the high side.
Here are a couple pictures of our F450.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190516_152637.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	17449   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_150054_resized_1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	17450  

Old 05-17-2019, 02:12 AM   #7

THOR #2013
Thanks for the reply and the pictures. It appears that access to the low pressure port is much easier on the E450 than the E350.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #8

THOR #13370
dnewby - thanks to your post and picture I found the LP inlet on mine, which has
the clear cap also and says LP. It is smaller than the HP inlet but appears to be the same size as the outlet on the filler can. It looks to be larger than the LP on my Toyota Tacoma (looking at comparisons - these should be the same). Maybe
Ford is trying to get a lock on the maintenance. It is hard to reach so maybe I am not lining it up correctly and it is close to some of the framework. I haven't given up yet! Let me know if you can get yours to work, and if so, how. Mine
looks like it is the same set up as yours. Thanks again for the picture!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 AM   #9

THOR #2013
flipper003 - I had a busy weekend and did not get a chance to try and charge my AC. I will give it a try hopefully Tuesday evening to see if I can hook my AC gauges up to the ports. I cannot understand why the low pressure port is placed in such an inconvenient spot. I will let you know if I have any success.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 AM   #10

THOR #2013
flipper003 - I tried unsuccessfully tonight to get a gauge coupling on my low side port. The coupling hits the frame rail. If the port was move just a 1/4" or so, I would be able to get the coupling on. I am going to try and get a set of couplings for my AC gauges that do not have the adjustment wheel on them. A streamline set may work.

It is my understanding that Thor installed the AC system and not Ford. I may give Thor a call to find out what they do to charge the system. One thing for sure is that it is very poor engineering for maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC Adapter Low Side.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	17544  
Old 05-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #11

THOR #2013
I finally found it! The previous picture I posted of a port with a clear plastic cap is NOT the low pressure port. After contacting Thor with no help, I finally went out and looked until I found the correct port. It is located near the firewall. There is a large black hose that I originally thought was a heater hose. If you look above the port with the clear plastic cap and back toward the firewall, you will see the black hose. Follow it back to the firewall and you will find that it terminates into a metal tube. The port is right there with a blue cap. I will attach a picture of it.

It is amazing that no one could tell us where it was located, but at least we now know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lowpressureport.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	17723  
Old 08-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #12

State: California
THOR #13759
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewby View Post
I finally found it! The previous picture I posted of a port with a clear plastic cap is NOT the low pressure port. After contacting Thor with no help, I finally went out and looked until I found the correct port. It is located near the firewall. There is a large black hose that I originally thought was a heater hose. If you look above the port with the clear plastic cap and back toward the firewall, you will see the black hose. Follow it back to the firewall and you will find that it terminates into a metal tube. The port is right there with a blue cap. I will attach a picture of it.

It is amazing that no one could tell us where it was located, but at least we now know.
Do you have to access this from the passenger side table?
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #13

THOR #13370
dnewby - thanks for staying with this thread - thanks to your picture I just went
out and checked mine - and there it was! I hope the hose on my charger will
reach - I'll find a way!