Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #13888
Cable hookup

Newbie here

Is any type of converter or box required for cable hookup at rv parks or just hook up direct? Had issues last night at park in Tampa.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
not normally, but if a park has changed to digital and requires a separate 'cable box' and remote, then you'll need those.

Cable connections are probably one of the most often and aggravating problem asked on this forum. While it seems 'easy' to just connect a coax cable between the shore Cable outlet and your RV, and then just magically receive all the cable channels, it's usually a lot more work than that.
You have to not only connect to the park's cable outlet, but also make sure your 'antenna booster' is OFF, the entertainment BOMB box is set to CABLE(if you have one of these boxes), set each TV input to CABLE, and then RESCAN each TV, to receive the channels.

If the park requires a box, then you must put their box between your coax cable and your TV, and use the supplied REMOTE to change the channels, after you change your TVs input and rescan the Channels, of course.

If you have a TV which does not have QAM built-in, you may have issues either way. Some on these forums have reported that some 'off brand' TVs do not.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #3

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Depends on the TV you are using. Some complaints have been made on the original TVs in Thor RVs.

We have a mifi from verizon and connect an amazon fire stick to tv. As long as you get an internet signal from the mifi you should have plenty of tv. We also connect an echo dot to give weather reports and play music that we like.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Over the past year I have run into two parks that require you to get their cable box. Neither charged for the box other than a security deposit which I got back upon leaving. If no box is required then most times its just a matter of hooking up cable, turning off power button, rescanning tv. I have had to scan tv sometimes using over air even with cable other times scan using the cable choice.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Not sure how they did it but I annually spend the month of October in Lakewood Campgroud, Myrtle beach. I received a notice this past spring that they converted to digital. I thought "here we go" but it worked great. I had already replaced two of the three Seiki tvs. The two replacements received all forty plus channels and of course the Seiki. ZERO! No cable box, just plug in and scan.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
I've had the same problems with our Seiki's at different parks. Sometimes the cable works, sometimes it doesn't.
We stay mostly at Army Corps parks, so not a big issue.
Still wish Thor would use a little better quality tv.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #12340
We've stayed at some Army Corp of Engineer parks also. Never had a problem as they use just normal cable, it is not digital so the Seiki TV's work just fine. As soon as we get to a park with digital signals we were relegated to the tv antenna.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Digital cable and Seiki TVs is an old problem. Either you have to use a convertor box for the signal or replace the TVs. But I'd check to make sure the OTA signal amp is off. If it is on, readable cable signal is AWOL.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
i upgraded all 3 tv's in the 31E to Samsung smart TV's so like rickymac said even if no cable we can stream from the internet.

(have the old Axerra tv's for sale if anyone is interested 2-32" 1-40")
Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #10

Model: Compass 24 TF, Mercedes
State: Washington
THOR #11249
Two of my three Axerra TV's are junk and only one remote works (it's all in 2018 RV). I also looked at the Samsung 32" last night from Costco and will probably be getting at least one of those. I'm also totally giving up on campground cable and over air antennas, and not interested in any contracts with satellite company's either, from now on it's internet streaming through my hot spot. Good luck
Old 12-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
not normally, but if a park has changed to digital and requires a separate 'cable box' and remote, then you'll need those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Not sure how they did it but I annually spend the month of October in Lakewood Campgroud, Myrtle beach. I received a notice this past spring that they converted to digital. I thought "here we go" but it worked great. I had already replaced two of the three Seiki tvs. The two replacements received all forty plus channels and of course the Seiki. ZERO! No cable box, just plug in and scan.
Digital is not the problem and has been around for years. Now if they have upgraded to an encrypted digital signal you will need a box.

This does not encompass the Seiki TVs that never had a digital QAM tuner in the first place: that's a different problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote