Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Camera again

OK, so my back-up camera along with the two side cameras are not working. But, if I manually turn on the back camera for viewing - it works. So I know my camera is not the culprit and I have checked fuses. The only thing I can think of now (unless someone has a better idea) is the switch behind the radio. Problem is with that check, I don't know how to get the radio out of the dash - anyone?

Old 04-25-2019, 01:46 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Wish I could help. I recently had the B/U & S camera's quit working on our rig. The camera's were trying to give us a pic but kept graining out. As we just purchased the coach the dealer fixed the issue.Turned out the plug on back of the head unit was loose
Old 04-25-2019, 02:12 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
If it's an Axxera radio, you might have gotten the tools shown in the below picture. They are about 4" long and 1/4" wide. Insert them as shown, and you should be able to pull the radio out. If you don't have the tools, you can try slipping hacksaw blades down both sides of the radio until you feel the catches release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axxera radio 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	16883  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:02 AM   #4

THOR #3195
So I found the switch but all looks fine, but not really knowing what I'm trying to find here is interesting in itself. I just made sure all fittings that were able to come apart, fit tightly. I disconnected what could be done and reattached it again. So results, none, except when I use the camera manually from the radio, it all works, reverse and the side cameras, but when you switch to off so the radio will work, then still nothing works. It must be the module that does all the switching, just not sure what that particular switch looks like, as there are several modules back there.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:50 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
So I found the switch but all looks fine, but not really knowing what I'm trying to find here is interesting in itself. I just made sure all fittings that were able to come apart, fit tightly. I disconnected what could be done and reattached it again. So results, none, except when I use the camera manually from the radio, it all works, reverse and the side cameras, but when you switch to off so the radio will work, then still nothing works. It must be the module that does all the switching, just not sure what that particular switch looks like, as there are several modules back there.

Did you happen to check the VIDEO switch box that collects the individual video signals from the mirrors & routes them to the radio video camera input port?
If that cable manages to loosen up, you'll get the symptoms you describe.
It's a silver box, about 3" square by 3/4" thick and it's located up around the dashboard. You'll know it when you see it. It has (should have) RCA wires in it. One of those wires goes to the rear of your radio. You might could trace that wire back from the radio to locate it too.
Worth checking out.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:52 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #14807
You do realize that you have to power up the chassis for that to work, right?
Old 04-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

THOR #3195
Talking

Thank you for the description of the box that is what I needed, I think I did see that when I had the radio out, I'll go back in to check that out. Yep had the engine running every time I check the video. But it is funny how we can forget the simplest of things sometimes thanks for mentioning that.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
The Silver box is the multiplexer. I find it easier to get behind the radio by removing the dog cover, thus able to lay on my back and access it all from underneath.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
The Silver box is the multiplexer. I find it easier to get behind the radio by removing the dog cover, thus able to lay on my back and access it all from underneath.
the radio is a royal pain to remove. I have a Ford Chassis F550 so no dog house and the dash molding goes from end to end including the underside. That is the only item I have not checked yet, but I've been procastanating. Everything works if I just manually turn it on from the radio, side cameras too, but then I have to turn it off to use the radio. I have a pioneer radio and a friend took it out the first time, but that person has gone overseas and won't be back for sometime. So I'm stuck trying to figure out how the heck he got it out.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #10

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I had the same problem with my 29M a few weeks ago. I thought it was the switch box and Thor sent me a new one but still had the same problem, so I called Axxera and they told me to send them the old radio and they would send me a new upgrated one. I sent them a Model 70 and they sent me a new Model 80. I have had no issues after the radio swap.
The new radio had the upgrades so when using the turn signal the radio volume stays up and also goes back to the back up camera.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:36 PM   #11

THOR #3195
Ron1Z, that is exactly how mine used to workbut now it's oh manual. At least for now. Radio hmmmm. Me thinks the switch box is cheaper than a new radio, I'll go that way first. I'm out of warranty.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #12

State: Ohio
THOR #15559
Talking Camera cables

Sudden loss of video is likely a loose connection. Most coaches have three cameras (L, R, rear). The monitor shows just one at a time based on the position of turn signals and gear selector. This is accomplished by a small silver box that switches the feed as appropriate. The video cable from the camera switch box to the radio's display monitor is most likely the loose connection. This has a very cheap friction connector at both ends that will simply vibrate right out of place.

I lost video twice in just a few days.
The first time the video cable connection to the radio-display screen came loose. Easy fix. I was able to easily find the video connection point on the back side of the radio an re-attach. These connections generally have a yellow marking. I did not need to remove the radio. Just get on the floor and look up behind it.

DAYS LATER ALL THREE CAMERAS FAILED AGAIN WHILE DRIVING.
This time the other end of same video cable became detached. Much more difficult problem. It took me 3 hours to find the control box (switching box) up inside the dash. I was determined to find this switch box without taking the dash apart or removing the radio. Finally I put my iPhone camera on video record and probed all over the underside of my dash while recording. After 30 minutes I found the bugger! It was just tossed up in a recess behind the radio NOT SECURED TO ANYTHING. It was just to the right of the driver seat and back behind the left side of my radio several inches.

ONCE I found this it was a 10 second fix. I have now taped the connections at the camera switch control box and the radio to keep them from vibrating off again. THOR really needs to do this when the build the coach. So frustrating!