Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
Camping World

Stay away from Camping World. We have own our ACE for 6 months and 3 of those months its been in the shop. This time around its been there 6 weeks and they are saying they haven't started work due to lack of authorizations from Thor. This is nuts. No one will answer the phone or call us back, it is like our RV has been stolen.

Camping World has the worst customer service in the history of companies. Don't buy anything from them. Well at least in Kingston, NY or Lakewood , NJ.

I have seen advice on this site to call and get the auth yourself. We will never drop this rv off again and leave it someplace. If we ever get it back.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Sorry to hear that you are having these issues. What problem are you having with your unit?

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
We have had many things go wrong with this unit. Let me list all the things that have gone wrong:
slide out
inverter
leveling jacks
back up camera
shower door wont close
generator didn't start right
entry door wouldn't close
board broke under the bed
led lights under awning went out

We have only had this unit since June and more has gone wrong. We have only taken it out on 3 trips so far. Very disappointing.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Again, sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. The CW in Columbia, SC has been very helpful. It must be the management that is the issue at your location. I am sure you have talked to the manager. I would call Thor customer service and talk to them. The little interaction I had with them was quite pleasant.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
Stay away from Camping World. We have own our ACE for 6 months and 3 of those months its been in the shop. This time around its been there 6 weeks and they are saying they haven't started work due to lack of authorizations from Thor. This is nuts. No one will answer the phone or call us back, it is like our RV has been stolen.

Camping World has the worst customer service in the history of companies. Don't buy anything from them. Well at least in Kingston, NY or Lakewood , NJ.

I have seen advice on this site to call and get the auth yourself. We will never drop this rv off again and leave it someplace. If we ever get it back.
Read the warranty for your coach. They have 20 days to fix the problems. After that you are to notify Thor in writing and they get one final attempt to make it right. It sounds like you should have notified Thor three weeks ago. This, I believe, is also covered in the Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and is a matter of law.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
I hate to be so blunt, but your rig has been at CW for so long because you've allowed it.

If they're not going to fix it -- and at this point it's fairly obvious that they aren't -- then find another shop and take it there. Customer service at Thor is quite responsive, and if you don't know of another shop they may be able to help you. I knew that I would never take my rig to the place I bought it from for service, so I called Thor BEFORE purchasing it to see if they'd work with a small shop that I knew did good work. They were more than happy to work with them. Just because you might have purchased your rig from CW doesn't mean you have to have it serviced there, even under warranty.

Go take a look at RV.net. It's run by Camping World, and they've got a whole section dedicated to the horror stories of dealing with their service departments around the country.

Again, it's your rig. Go get it, and find someone else who will work with you & Thor. Having it in your hands is always better than having it sit for weeks in a repair shop. You don't know how it's being secured -- or not -- or who's been in it and for what reasons. Heck, they might even be showing it to potential buyers if they don't have another one like yours on the lot! I've seen it happen ...
Old 12-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #2605
I had a similar experience with CW. I took Jedsmom's advice and posted on RV.net. Within an hour I had a call from the local manager. He put their Service Manager to work on it and I have all issues repaired now. In less than 10 days. This is after the coach had been there three weeks. Will I go back? We have another small shop here locally that I will ask Thor about. I would like to give them a try and see how they do should I need service in the future. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post

The camping world you mention in New York has 2 reviews listed in rvservicereviews.com. In one review the service department lost, yes lost, the customers travel trailer and it took over 3 hours to find it. Both reviews, by the way, are rated poor and they are both from 2015.

Good luck in your efforts with them.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #9

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
Thor customer no service

Sorry you are having so many problems at Camping World. I have visited 3-4 of their locations, and found them all lacking.

I will never understand people coming on here, admitting they have little to no experience with THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE, and blaming the problem on you! What ignorance, and gall!

If anyone HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE, the last thing you would call them is helpful. If you think them sending you parts, so you can fix warranty items yourself, is good service, when are you going to do the same free work at your auto dealer?!

I have found a decent service facility 90 miles from my house. They are familiar enough with the numerous THOR issues that they usually have preordered the parts, and have me bring it in after they have arrived. Even then, they have been unable to repair items faster than they are breaking.

We have owned our coach since October and have not been able to use it even one time. I have never used CW for service, but I am sure someone much wiser than I will tell me it's all my fault. These people sound like they work for THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE. Maybe they do.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:24 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
I will never understand people coming on here, admitting they have little to no experience with THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE, and blaming the problem on you! What ignorance, and gall! ...
We have owned our coach since October and have not been able to use it even one time. I have never used CW for service, but I am sure someone much wiser than I will tell me it's all my fault. These people sound like they work for THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE. Maybe they do.
I'm not sure who you are referring to with these comments, but it's difficult to understand why you would state that people have had no experience with Thor's customer service when nothing like that has ever been said on this thread.

Admittedly, every person's experience with service departments is different. I can only speak from my experience, and it's has been quite positive.

Additionally, everyone's experience with their rig is different, too. While there have been fit & finish issues with our 2015 A.C.E., we've been able to take care of them ourselves. The 2 issues that were functional (LED lights in awning not working & slide-up window in bedroom stuck), Thor worked with the independent service shop & we were taken care of within 2 days.

Allowing a service department to keep my rig for weeks wouldn't happen. I don't trust them -- anyone -- enough to keep it safe. If they need to order parts AND my rig was functional enough to drive, I'd take it home until the parts were in, schedule an appointment to have the repairs done, and then sit in the service department's waiting room and wait for the rig to be repaired OR get a written commitment from the service manager for a reasonable delivery date and the consequences for not meeting that deadline. We're the customer, it's our rig, and allowing a dealership to keep it for unreasonably long periods of time puts the responsibility on the owner as much as it does on the dealership.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
Sorry you are having so many problems at Camping World. I have visited 3-4 of their locations, and found them all lacking.

I will never understand people coming on here, admitting they have little to no experience with THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE, and blaming the problem on you! What ignorance, and gall!

If anyone HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE, the last thing you would call them is helpful. If you think them sending you parts, so you can fix warranty items yourself, is good service, when are you going to do the same free work at your auto dealer?!

I have found a decent service facility 90 miles from my house. They are familiar enough with the numerous THOR issues that they usually have preordered the parts, and have me bring it in after they have arrived. Even then, they have been unable to repair items faster than they are breaking.

Disclaimer first:

Although I am a Ford Shareholder, I neither own Thor stock not do I work for Thor or any of their affiliates or operating units to include their dealer network.

I will admit that I do not have any experience with "THOR CUSTOMER NO SERVICE". I do, however, have experience with Thor Customer Service and Warranty Support and have not issues in dealing with either operating unit.

What I will never understand is how someone can drive off the lot in a coach where, in their words, "the automatic levelers never worked" and then call those of us without issues or having a decent experience with our coaches and Thor, ignorant.

Seems like us ignorant folks are having a pleasant experience with our coaches, few issues to report, are willing to correct the small things ourselves. If that's what it means to be ignorant I will wear that badge to every campground I visit in the future.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

....cut....

What I will never understand is how someone can drive off the lot in a coach where, in their words, "the automatic levelers never worked" and then call those of us without issues or having a decent experience with our coaches and Thor, ignorant.

.....cut....
I think it happens sometimes when (less than reputable) salespeople convince new owners to take their new toy home with the promise/understanding that known issues, plus others they may discover over the next few days of ownership, will be repaired all at once when they bring it back.

I'm not very trusting by nature so I wouldn't accept ownership or give them a dime unless everything was fixed first, but I know lots of good people who would/do. And in the long run they "usually" have a happier purchase experience than me. My approach, while it protects me better, tends to create an adversarial situation some don't like.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I got the feeling CW employees were so brain washed by training that they didn't even understand they are flat lying when they made their promises. Worst money vulture and incompetency behaviors I've ever experienced. Not a business path that I like, so no further business from me.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:29 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I got the feeling CW employees were so brain washed by training that they didn't even understand they are flat lying when they made their promises. Worst money vulture and incompetency behaviors I've ever experienced. Not a business path that I like, so no further business from me.
My last venture into a Camping World a salesman tried selling me a customer's Outlaw that was in for service. This happened last October when we were staying at a campground 1/2 mile away from a Camping World that had an Outlaw RE in stock. We were looking at various Class A unit with outdoor kitchens. The owners of that coach were a little upset when they came to pick it up and the salesman was trying to sell it to us. Since then the only reason I maintain my Good Sam membership is the 5 cent discount on gas at Pilot Flying J. Good Sam is the parent company to Camping World.
FMCA - F432054
Old 12-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
Good Sam is the parent company to Camping World.
Camping World was much better before Good Sam had anything to do with them (remember The President's club).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #16

Model: Axis
THOR #2614
A number of you comment about camping world and I had one issue with the Bellevue Michigan location, but I purchased my 2015 Axis from General RV in Wixom, Mi and will never purchase anything from them again, or have them service my unit especially if they could not even find any problems, if in fact they actually even looked at anything. they charged me $1400 For a complete service checkup and after driving only 2500 miles I started having issues with batteries not holding a charge and then with the water pump failed. I purchased a new flojet from cw today. And will have them install. They certainly are better than General in Michigan
Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by philco44
A number of you comment about camping world and I had one issue with the Bellevue Michigan location, but I purchased my 2015 Axis from General RV in Wixom, Mi and will never purchase anything from them again, or have them service my unit especially if they could not even find any problems, if in fact they actually even looked at anything. they charged me $1400 For a complete service checkup and after driving only 2500 miles I started having issues with batteries not holding a charge and then with the water pump failed. I purchased a new flojet from cw today. And will have them install. They certainly are better than General in Michigan
We purchased our Axis from General RV in Brownstown, MI and have had both (GRV in Brownstown and CW in Bellville) service our unit without issue. GRV did all of our warranty repairs and CW has so far done our oil changes (granted a pretty simple service request).
The service guys at GRV in Brownstown, at least, were very competent with all the repairs we've asked of them. We never got any sort of additional charges.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I have had horrible experience with the CW in Las Vegas. Never again will my rig be at a CW shop. It is min 3 weeks and they don't fix the warranty problems and charge alot of money to do that..not fix them.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
philco44: I seem to recall there have been about 3 others on here complaining about GRV's Wixom office sales and service. Which is a shame with that being their corporate HQ. You'd think they would want the HQ to be the best of the best...

Hang on: Wixom, Bellville...You don't happen to store your Axis off of Newburgh Road in Westland do you? (There is another Axis 24.1 in our storage lot that had battery issue's earlier this year. It'd be interesting if that unit is yours!)
Old 12-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #20

Model: Axis
THOR #2614
Not my axis jamiegeek I'm in south Lyon and keep it at home, I had 30amp hookup installed this year and keep it plugged in, sometime I just go sit in it to hide out from honey do's