Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #1727
Can I use Four Batteries instead of two?

I purchased a new Thor Chaeteau 31W in March 25 2015. The Two House Batteries which are Harris Part#27D170
20 Hour 160AH.
They will not run my Residential Fridge for more than 5 Hours. Can anything be suggested as to what can improve the longevity of these Batteries?
I have also read on the Thor Forums that these Batteries are not working good in the coaches and Thor has replaced them with another brand.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
you certainly can buy larger capacity batteries if you have dimensional room for them other than that you have to run the gen
Harris batteries I have seen posts of people having short life span I have no personal experience with them
Old 03-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
I purchased a new Thor Chaeteau 31W in March 25 2015. The Two House Batteries which are Harris Part#27D170
20 Hour 160AH.
They will not run my Residential Fridge for more than 5 Hours. Can anything be suggested as to what can improve the longevity of these Batteries?
I have also read on the Thor Forums that these Batteries are not working good in the coaches and Thor has replaced them with another brand.
Where are you getting the battery capacity from? When I look up the model number on the Harris site, I can't find much useful information. The only thing I can find that is close to your statement above is that each battery has a Reserve Capacity of 160 minutes at 25 Amps (that's discharge rate). That equates to 133 AH total at the 2-hour 40-minute rate, which may very well also provide 160 AH at 20-hour rate. In any case it assumes batteries in great shape.

http://www.harrisbattery.com/node/904/pdf

Do you know how long you want to run fridge off the batteries, and how much power the fridge consumes on average? In my opinion you also need to take into account how often you will be running the fridge off the batteries so the number of discharge cycles can be planned accordingly.

Anyway, you can add two more batteries, or replace the existing 2 with 4 new ones (the recommended approach so all batteries are identical in age, condition, and model) provided you have physical space and tray(s) can handle the extra weight. You'll probably also want to confirm that your battery charger(s) can handle the higher charging current that 4 batteries may accept versus two. You may see more charging current from alternator to batteries, so isolation device must be able to keep up. Also the house charger (whether inverter/charger or stand-alone converter) should be compatible with required capacity to handle 4 batteries of whatever type and capacity you end up with.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
I suggest getting rid of those Harris batteries, they have been talked a lot about the problems they have, just do a search. Other forums as well. I replaced mine as part of the deal to buy it. Went with two 6v batteries in series. My refrigerator will run all night, but then I have 400w of solar for charging back up during the day. Two 6v batteries should fit in the same place (under the step right), or is it somewhere else?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
You've got space in the "shoe compartment" storage just to the north of the door where the house batteries are. We fit three extra batteries there for a total of five.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

THOR #1414
My sister in law has a 33sw and had brackets welded in the undercarriage for extra batteries... but she spent a lot of $$ doing it!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #7

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubravsky View Post
My sister in law has a 33sw and had brackets welded in the undercarriage for extra batteries... but she spent a lot of $$ doing it!
Where did they put those brackets? sure wish I could see a picture.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

THOR #1414
I'll ask her if she can send me some pics....
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

THOR #3195
Quote:
You've got space in the "shoe compartment" storage just to the north of the door where the house batteries are. We fit three extra batteries there for a total of five.
In my case - I don't. The inverter is there, along with the generator auto start, and the MPPT 40a solar controller, and some other pertinent electronics. Not even a mud bay anymore .
Old 03-15-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

THOR #1414
I'll post some pics tomorrow. She says that for the 33SW they shifted the LP tank further away from the door which made room for welding battery supports closer to the door which made it easy to piggyback the battery cables.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #11

THOR #3195
hmmm, I will have to look at that. I know both the LP tank and the hydraulics are in there for the levellers as well. But...maybe. thank you
Old 03-16-2016, 12:46 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
We fit three extra batteries there for a total of five.
How do you have five 6 volt batteries and still have 12 volts of equal power with out putting one of then under a serious strain?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:13 AM   #13

THOR #3195
doubravsky - never said he had 6v batteries, I assume he has all 12v. I said I have 6v but only two and looking for space to put two more.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #14
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Might I suggest picking one place to open a thread...
Same thread posted in Maintenance and Repair, Modifications and Updates and Motorhome Tech Topics...
Happened to see the other 2 first and commented in one of them.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote