Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2691
Cannot locate headlight fuse

I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37KT and my headlights are not working. There is supposed to be a fuse (J5) for the headlights in the UPS Power Distribution Box 2. I have located the fuse boxes under the hood, next to the parking brake and under the bed but cannot locate this power distribution box containing this fuse. Can anyone help me locate it? Thanks.

In addition I've determined that nothing up front seems to be working. No headlamps, no front blinkers, no running lights. It's probably not the headlight fuse. All rear lights are working fine.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:08 AM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I am not familiar with your coach, but when you said all front lamps are not working, that sounds more like a common ground termination between those systems is open to me. I am not sure if they use a common ground or where that might be located, but it is a possibility.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #3

THOR #2691
Broken ground connection

I remember now that this problem has occurred before and was corrected when the broken ground was repaired. Unfortunately I cannot locate the ground wire to the chassis. Does anyone have any idea approximately where on the chassis the ground wire would be attached?
Old 07-24-2018, 02:58 AM   #4

THOR #2631
Well, I don’t even know where the common ground is on my own coach and I would hate to have to look for it as well. There is a stripped chassis builders document that Ford puts out for each year that is used by Thor to electrically tie into the Ford chassis components. My guess is that the front end light systems would probably be done via a wiring harness which then uses connectors at the various end devices (turn lights, head lights etc.). Since you have lost all these systems in the front, the “common ground” is a likely suspect. The other possibility is a main harness feeder connector that has come loose or separated. So my guess is start looking on the driver side (because it is close to the dashboard electrical items like light flasher module; harness feeder cabling etc.). If you can get into the brake master cylinder area visually look around the firewall or chassis frame for a bolt with an obvious larger gauge wire under it......or if the bolt is now gone, a larger gauge wire terminated with a bare ring connector that is hanging loose. Also check that any wiring harness connectors near the firewall are solidly connected together. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #5

THOR #2691
Found it

Thanks for your help Javelin. The ground connection couldn't have been any more obvious if I knew what I was looking before. I crawled under the chassis from the front to the rear with no luck. With help I was able to locate the ground, being held on by a very loose screw right up front under the hood over on the right side and drilled into the chassis. If anyone else has a similar problem, start from there. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:04 AM   #6

THOR #2631
Congrats on finding the bad ground connection. Since it has happened to you twice now make sure you clean the chassis metal under the bolt and make sure there is a star and lock washer involved in the final repair so there is no chance of a third event. By the way I went looking for what seems to be the likely lighting front ground point cable on my 2013 ACE 30.1 and it is bolted to driver's side chassis support on the right side of the radiator.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

THOR #2691
It's a good thing to know. Thanks again for the time you took to help me out. Hope this thread helps others in the future. And yes, the ground is now solid. I also know now to be sure and ask where fixes have been done going forward.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Head lights cut in and out

Hello, I have the Challenger 37GT and I am having the same issue with the head lights flickering on and off as well as my the screen on the camera-GPS.

I have looked and looked for the ground with no luck. Someone told me that they had a similar problem with their Ford Truck and it turned out to be the Multi-Function switch.

I'm not sure where to start to look for that, Dose anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
Don
Old 04-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
I had a similar problem on our 37LX . Headlights, turn signal cameras, running lights.. and it was a loose ground wire as well. The ground wire is under the hood, driver's side where the front fiberglass cap bolts to the frame there's a ground screw in the bracket that hold the front cap on.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Nebraska
THOR #5967
Tinman, the “multifunction switch” is the current terminology for the turn signal switch. It is mounted on left side of steering column under the column upr & lwr covers. Multifunction as in it also controls wipers, high beams, etc.