Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Challenger Heater question

I'm having trouble with the heater in my Challenger. If I'm not mistaken, the cycle of the heater is the blower comes on, then the burner will start and heat to the set temp and shut off, the blower will continue to cool down the unit and then shut off.

The trouble is the burner will turn on and off during that process. When you set the temp and the heater comes on, the blower turns on and a few seconds later the burner will start just like it should but during the heating cycle before it gets to the set temperature the burner will turn on and off several times. It will burn for a little bit (maybe one minute or so) then it will shut off the burner for a little bit (not sure how long) then it will come back on, it will continue doing this until it gets to temp, but the fan will continue blowing for the entire time, and the burner will kick back on. This will continue until it reaches the set temp then it will turn off as normal.

This gets really annoying as the heater is very loud to begin with, and it does this all night long.

Also and I'm not sure this is related but the hot water heater works good on Elec. but when I change it to gas it will burn for a little bit and then the pilot light out comes on.

This makes me think its a propane issue but not sure because I haven't had the time to trouble shoot this too.

Thanks
Don

Old 10-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds like you need to set your Thermostat 'FAN' setting to AUTO... when turning the Thermostat to HEAT...

The FAN setting is probably to most confusing of any AC and HEAT related issues with all coaches, since most all of these thermostats are the typical Dometic or similar type, and all work basically the same. The FANS are only to work the roof AC fans, not the HEATER/Furnace fan, which is a totally different fan unit for the Furnace.
The heater/Furnace's own fan will cycle on and off automatically, as needed, when you have the HEAT turned on.

If you have FANS coming on from your roof AC units, then you have the unit's thermostat FAN setting turned to either LOW or HIGH, but it should be on AUTO, unless, of course, you actually WANT your roof fans to operate : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
sounds like you need to set your Thermostat 'FAN' setting to AUTO... when turning the Thermostat to HEAT...

The FAN setting is probably to most confusing of any AC and HEAT related issues with all coaches, since most all of these thermostats are the typical Dometic or similar type, and all work basically the same. The FANS are only to work the roof AC fans, not the HEATER/Furnace fan, which is a totally different fan unit for the Furnace.
The heater/Furnace's own fan will cycle on and off automatically, as needed, when you have the HEAT turned on.

If you have FANS coming on from your roof AC units, then you have the unit's thermostat FAN setting turned to either LOW or HIGH, but it should be on AUTO, unless, of course, you actually WANT your roof fans to operate : )
No, the fan setting only applies when using Air Conditioning. The OP had the sequence correct. I agree you may have a propane issue. Maybe the regulator pressure is too low?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #4

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
My Challenger heater occasionally does the same thing. Blower on, furnace lights, goes off after a few minutes, then back on for a couple of minutes, then blower turns off. I heard this a few times this morning as the temp is 15 degrees, and wind chill down to 3 degrees. Good day to stay in bed!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I vote with Tfryman that your propane regulator pressure is low or there is a restriction in the line because it sounds like both furnace and water heater are having gas starting issues. Is the stove also hard to start or low on flame? Verify your propane tank gas level; and that the regulator/tank area does not smell of propane, as a leak could also reduce pressure down the line.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I vote with Tfryman that your propane regulator pressure is low or there is a restriction in the line because it sounds like both furnace and water heater are having gas starting issues. Is the stove also hard to start or low on flame? Verify your propane tank gas level; and that the regulator/tank area does not smell of propane, as a leak could also reduce pressure down the line.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Is there a way to adjust the regulator and if so to what? The tank is full (well now 3/4 lol). I'm a little confused by the pilot out light on the WH, I thought it was elec. ignition and had no pilot. I have not had the chance to even look at water heater yet, but hope to today.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, it IS electronic ignition, but it still has the FIRE up for the propane to be used - the LIGHT is an indicator that it is not able to fire up, and stops trying...
of course, we're discussing the PROPANE(gas) switch side of the water heater, not the ELECTRIC side, which uses 120v power from either Shore or Generator only.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #8

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yes, it IS electronic ignition, but it still has the FIRE up for the propane to be used - the LIGHT is an indicator that it is not able to fire up, and stops trying...
of course, we're discussing the PROPANE(gas) switch side of the water heater, not the ELECTRIC side, which uses 120v power from either Shore or Generator only.

Ok thanks that makes sense now. I'm going to check the entire system over today I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
Don