Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2018, 01:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
7 months of TV problems FINALLY resolved

Posting this saga in hopes that it may help others who have had TV problems.

We bought our 2017 Axis new in Aug. 2017, from America Choice RV in Ocala, FL. Long story short, the 3 Seiki TV's in our Axis NEVER worked right. Took it back to America Choice 3 times, trying to get issues resolved. Each round trip to there is 82 miles. Issues were basically that none of the TV's would pick up any over air channels. We all know the horror stories of Seiki TV's, so I won't go in to those. Over the past 7 months, we just played DVD's on the TV's, since they wouldn't tune in any stations. Each time it was serviced,. the TV's would work at the dealership but by the time I got back home, they wouldn't work again. Frustrated, I decided to dig in to the problem myself, starting with the King Jack antenna. First thing I found was the LED light on the King Jack wasn't coming on, when the Power Injector was turned on. I measured the voltage at the antenna and found it was getting only 1.3 VDC; it should have been 12 VDC. I next checked the Power Injector and found it was only getting 1.3 VDC from the power leads attached to it. Have no idea why voltage on these lines dropped but suspect a faulty connection somewhere. So, I tapped in to another 12 VDC power source for the Power Injector. LED indicator on the King Jack still was not lit, so I called King Jack customer support. They immediately said antenna was bad and shipped me a new one, under warranty. Today, I got the new King Jack installed and, like magic, all 3 TV's scanned in over 40 over the air channels and worked perfectly. I did replace one of the Seiki's because it was not working; however, the 2 other Seiki's seem to be working correctly at this time. Figured I'd just pay for a replacement TV rather than have the dealer give me another Seiki. If anyone else is having such TV issues, suggest they check their antenna and Power Injector, as I did. And, hopefully, you'll find a competent dealership repair facility, unlike the incompetent one at America Choice.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:09 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
The Sucki tv on the outside of our Vegas stopped working and the dealer replaced it with an Axxera. I'm not sure it was an upgrade.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:29 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Competent dealership isn’t that an oxymoron?
Old 03-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
If the TV's worked at the dealer ship I can't as an Electronics engineer blame them for failure to find an intermittent problem.

Our set up is different then yours, first there is no led on the King antenna. There is however a standard powered TV antenna booster located inside the kitchen cabinet next to the microwave. Push the switch to turn it on or off.
Beyond that ours exhibit your symptoms but since we don't watch TV it isn't high on our todo list.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
The Sucki tv on the outside of our Vegas stopped working and the dealer replaced it with an Axxera. I'm not sure it was an upgrade.
"Out of the frying pan... and into the fire"?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
If the TV's worked at the dealer ship I can't as an Electronics engineer blame them for failure to find an intermittent problem.

Our set up is different then yours, first there is no led on the King antenna. There is however a standard powered TV antenna booster located inside the kitchen cabinet next to the microwave. Push the switch to turn it on or off.
Beyond that ours exhibit your symptoms but since we don't watch TV it isn't high on our todo list.
I didn't make clear what happened when my TV's worked at the dealership. TV's received a couple of channels there, primarily because their broadcast towers were only 20 or so miles away. TV's would likely have gotten those using a wire coat hanger as an antenna. Point was, they didn't go any further, to insure the King Jack was actually working, which it wasn't. The Power Injector (King's terminology) wasn't getting 12 VDC and the antenna itself was also bad because the internal signal booster was bad. America Choice only does the absolute minimum on repairs. Another example of this that I experienced was when our inverter/charger went bad and was putting a 50 amp charge in to our coach batteries. That boiled the batteries dry and ruined them. When I went to pick up our unit, I asked them if they'd replaced the house batteries? They said no but that they were OK. I demanded that they check the batteries while I was there. Sure enough, they were dead as door nails. I insisted that I wasn't leaving without new batteries, which they finally, begrudgingly installed.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm glad to hear that you stood your ground, and they replaced the batteries.

But sorry to hear that it had to come to that...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #8

State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Anyone have problem with bedroom Seiko TV not turning on. Power outlet works. Is there a reset button on TV?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 AM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post

I discovered a bad cable from the antenna booster to the splitter (behind the microwave). After replacing it and putting in a high bandpass splitter, I now have great OTA TV.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:08 AM   #10

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
Anyone have problem with bedroom Seiko TV not turning on. Power outlet works. Is there a reset button on TV?
Have you tried new batteries in the remote (or another remote)? Or have you tried to manually turn on the power at the TV?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:25 AM   #11

THOR #3027
[Yes I tried another remote and it works o
The kain TV. Also tries poweeinf it on manually.

QUOTE=leshunter;111479]Anyone have problem with bedroom Seiko TV not turning on. Power outlet works. Is there a reset button on TV?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Have you tried new batteries in the remote (or another remote)? Or have you tried to manually turn on the power at the TV?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #12

THOR #3027
Yes. I used another remote that works on main TV and also tried manually.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:28 AM   #13

THOR #2271
Sounds like your TV is broken. A good time to buy a Samsung Smart TV to replace the Seiki.