Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Arkansas
THOR #14428
Challenger 37TB Hot Water tank

Hello all. New to the forum and would love a little help. I'm having a hot water issue. we have a 2016 Challenger 37TB. When we got setup this weekend we had hot water just fine. The next morning when we woke up, none. The cold water worked fine but when we switched over to hot (at any faucet) it just trickeled out and stopped. I am guessing it is the check valve, fom everything I can figure out. But where in the heck is the check valve? I would assume it is near the tank but I spent all weekend trying to find the hot water tank and couldn't find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:24 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well you have likely figured out your problem. When the hot line output check valve becomes frozen with calcium deposits no (or very little) hot water flows out of the tank. Attached is the first Youtube video I found that might help a little "generically"with replacing the check valve. Just make sure you turn off the hot water heater switch (electrics) before you drain (empty) the tank and don't turn it back on again until after it is full of water and you have pressure tested for leaks and proven the new check valve has solved your problem of water flow from hot taps.

I am not sure exactly where your water tank is actually located, but on the exterior there is only the two heating appliance exhausts....furnace and hot water tank. Furnace usually has a screwed on panel; hot water is typically a metal tab you turn 90 deg which allows the access panel to be opened. Gives you a rough idea where the hot tank is located. Of course the check valve is accessed on the inside of the coach on the tank, which is probably behind a removal panel or under a removable drawer etc. It may be near your winterization hot water tank bypass valves if you know where those are located. Someone with your coach may be more specific on how you access the hot water tank from the inside.