Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #21

State: Connecticut
THOR #11685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade East View Post
We were travelling to Mesa a couple of weeks ago and on our last day on the road, the bedroom slide jammed sideways when retracting as one side was not going as fast as the other. The first 6" of travel were fine and "synchronized". We were stuck being on a Sunday and not able to reach any assistance. So I went onto YouTube and learned and tried the "electronic" bypass of the controller where you press a little button 8 times but still couldn't manually push or electronically operate the slide. There was another YouTube that described a way of lifting the drive motors up so the drive gears are not on the rack (track). I did this and my neighbor and I were then able to easily push the slide in and secure inside w/ a travel bar and continue to Mesa. Problem then was couldn't get the slide back out. We were fortunate to get a RV shop to look at it a day later and they determined the Schwintek system needed replacing. They had to replace the whole drive assemblies on both sides of the side which cost $3000. Thank goodness for extended warranty on 2013 Thor Daybreak motorhome. However the insurance company would not cover all of the repair as it was later determined that there is a repair/rebuild kit now available for Schwintek drives and that could/should have been done instead of the total drive replacement. Apparently I had also done some damage to the wires when I lifted the drive motors up. So we are on the hook for some of the repairs. The underlying problem was that the bedroom slides in 2013 & 2014 do not have rollers under them to support the slide and it basically just "hangs" from the Schwintek drives which are really designed and limited to driving the slide in and out but not supporting the slide. They have since corrected that design flaw but Thor is taking no responsibility for fixing the design flaw in the 2013/14 coaches except to tell you the part number and where to order the adjustable roller and riding plate for the bottom of the slide. Frustrating to have this happen when on a trip as it ties up a huge amount of time and emotional energy.

We had same issue this month on both of our slides when we were down in Myrtle Beach. Was your extended warranty through Thor?

Old 05-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak
State: British Columbia
THOR #8858
Hello Bigbur - no the extended warranty was through a private Canadian Company and they only covered 50% of the repair. Good luck with your repairs.