Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #12082
30 amp with two roof airs?

When on Generator I can run both airs! I understand that on shore power I can only run one air at a time. There is a switch under my bed that I assume lets me switch airs from front to back. My problem is I can not switch on my back air on shore power!! I can find no reason it will not switch on? Is there a fuse? Has anyone else had this issue? I have a 05 Hurricane 31'..

Any comments welcome

Old 07-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Not knowing the specifics of your rig: I'd have to guess that the 30 amp service just isn't enough "juice" for the job, and you'd need to upgrade the system in order to run both at the same time.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

THOR #12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Not knowing the specifics of your rig: I'd have to guess that the 30 amp service just isn't enough "juice" for the job, and you'd need to upgrade the system in order to run both at the same time.

My problem is I cant switch to run the back air? I understand I cant run both at same time. My problem is I cant get the back to come on when on shore power??
Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
try unplugging, THEN switch to the rear AC unit, then plug back in and see what happens...

also, while it's another rving 'myth', you CAN absolutely operate two AC units on 30amps...there's no reason why you can't. Turn off all other breakers in your coach, except the two AC breakers, and then turn one AC unit on, and when it gets up to operation, turn on the other.
While you might not be able to run the electric water heater, the battery charger, or the microwave at the same time, you'll quickly find relief from this rving 'myth'!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
While that does work... doesn't it feel a lot like running down into the basement of your house, and pulling fuses from the circuit box?
To me: this falls into the category of "Possible; but not practical"...
(We had a house with a 60 amp service...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the 'myth' is continually perpetrated in the RVing world for this very reason... folks want to suddenly make more out of it than reality - there is no 'need' to 'run down into the basement to pull fuses' or such nonsense, but the reality is that most newer RVrs don't yet realize the potential of their electrical needs, and how the breaker box addresses those.

The suggestion to turn OFF all breakers except the AC units, at least when you aren't yet knowledgeable about your breaker box, is to eliminate any other 'loads' that may be 'ON', yet not 'seen' by the owner.... such as the Electric water heater element, and the Battery Charger(especially if you have a integrated Inverter/Charger), as either of these could take up enough 'amp' space that trying to run both AC units simultaneously could trip the shore power breaker, or the coach's main breaker.
When this happens, most immediately think that it's somehow 'impossible' to run both AC's on 30amp service, but what they are not seeing are these 'silent' amp users who are the real culprits.

Once you understand your breaker box, and how your coach is segmented within it, and which outlets and devices are powered thru it, you get a much better idea of 'what to do' in situations where only 30amp service is available, but it's 'hot outside!' and you want to run both AC units at the same time.

Just the other day, from a personal experience, we parked at a beautiful mountainside campground, which only had 30amp service, yet it was 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity when we arrived.
I plugged in, turned off any 'silent' devices, such as the Charger and the Water Heater, and turned on BOTH air conditioners, one at a time... ALONG with the residential fridge, our computers, several bedside fans, and the TV and receiver.
Both AC units continued to work fine, and continuously, for the next 6 hours as the outside temps began to finally settle down for overnight.

The owner even made a comment that he was sorry that we had to endure the 30amp service, the only one in his park, while it was so hot. He was SHOCKED when I told him I had no problem, and was running both AC units... what!!?
He had bought into the myth, even as a campground owner, AND a long time motorhome owner himself. He had always been 'told' that it wasn't possible, as though you would somehow 'break' your air conditioner if you tried. Crazy.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #7

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the 'myth' is continually perpetrated in the RVing world for this very reason... folks want to suddenly make more out of it than reality - there is no 'need' to 'run down into the basement to pull fuses' or such nonsense, but the reality is that most newer RVrs don't yet realize the potential of their electrical needs, and how the breaker box addresses those.

The suggestion to turn OFF all breakers except the AC units, at least when you aren't yet knowledgeable about your breaker box, is to eliminate any other 'loads' that may be 'ON', yet not 'seen' by the owner.... such as the Electric water heater element, and the Battery Charger(especially if you have a integrated Inverter/Charger), as either of these could take up enough 'amp' space that trying to run both AC units simultaneously could trip the shore power breaker, or the coach's main breaker.
When this happens, most immediately think that it's somehow 'impossible' to run both AC's on 30amp service, but what they are not seeing are these 'silent' amp users who are the real culprits.

Once you understand your breaker box, and how your coach is segmented within it, and which outlets and devices are powered thru it, you get a much better idea of 'what to do' in situations where only 30amp service is available, but it's 'hot outside!' and you want to run both AC units at the same time.

Just the other day, from a personal experience, we parked at a beautiful mountainside campground, which only had 30amp service, yet it was 95 degrees and 95 percent humidity when we arrived.
I plugged in, turned off any 'silent' devices, such as the Charger and the Water Heater, and turned on BOTH air conditioners, one at a time... ALONG with the residential fridge, our computers, several bedside fans, and the TV and receiver.
Both AC units continued to work fine, and continuously, for the next 6 hours as the outside temps began to finally settle down for overnight.

The owner even made a comment that he was sorry that we had to endure the 30amp service, the only one in his park, while it was so hot. He was SHOCKED when I told him I had no problem, and was running both AC units... what!!?
He had bought into the myth, even as a campground owner, AND a long time motorhome owner himself. He had always been 'told' that it wasn't possible, as though you would somehow 'break' your air conditioner if you tried. Crazy.
Have you checked the voltage while running both??

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Gonna try this tip.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #9

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
I agree, it's all about AMP draw. Operating two A/C units drawing about 12 Amps each. Your golden.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #10

THOR #12082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
I agree, it's all about AMP draw. Operating two A/C units drawing about 12 Amps each. Your golden.

Not about amps! I would still like to know how come I can not switch off my front air and turn on my back air when on shore power when I can do this when on the generator?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers.dwight View Post
When on Generator I can run both airs! I understand that on shore power I can only run one air at a time. There is a switch under my bed that I assume lets me switch airs from front to back. My problem is I can not switch on my back air on shore power!! I can find no reason it will not switch on? Is there a fuse? Has anyone else had this issue? I have a 05 Hurricane 31'..

Any comments welcome
My 2000 Infinity sounds like it was wired in a similar way - a switch by the bed selected which AC would run when on 30A shore power - both were powered by the genny.

Does one position of the switch 'disable' the front AC? Or does it have no effect? I would suspect the switch...

As a side note - At the genny, one leg went to a plug/socket in the genny compartment that allowed 'unplugging' the genny - and plugging in a separate 20A cord just for that second AC - whichever one the inside switch had designated as 'off'...
Don't know if that was standard or a customization - but it was nice...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote