Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 12:43 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Question Chassis air was very unimpressive today

We are on our 2nd trip with our 2019 Vegas 24.1. The first was in July and in our 3+ hour trip, the air seemed to be fine both to and from our destination.

Today, we went on a 1.5 mile trip with our grandson and the air felt fine for about the first half hour or so. Then, we all noticed it seemed significantly warmer in the coach, so I turned it on full cold, full fan. This helped for a few minutes but then we were mildly uncomfortable again. Had this been a longer trip, I would have started the genny up and used the roof air, but we had less than 30 minutes left, so I let it go. The air was definitely cooler than the outside air, but not "ice cold" like a new AC should be; this is what confuses me the most as if the fuse went out, there wouldn't be ANY cooling going on, would there? Pushing the recirc button didn't seem to affect it one way or the other.

I tried to figure out where the fuse locations were but I could not find the power distribution center under the hood; I could only find the one under the steering wheel and one outside where the slide controller is located, and the fuses are all in different locations there than shown in the E-Series owner's manual. (Doing a web search was BEYOND hopeless, as it seems to ignore the year you put in, which for us is a 2018 chassis.)

We are headed on a 4000+ mile trip in four weeks and I'd hate to waste a 2-hour RT to the dealer for something as simple as a fuse, but I really want to make sure this is working as it should before then.

Anyone have any ideas what could have been the problem?

Old 08-21-2019, 01:54 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
How was the outside temp on this trip compared to the last?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Reduced cooling is not caused by a fuse problem. Take the coach to an automotive AC shop and have them check the freon charge. If low, have them check for leaks.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:07 AM   #4

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
How was the outside temp on this trip compared to the last?
Today was warm, muggy (by Michigan standards). Maybe mid-80's, very thick air. Can't recall exactly the trip previous but would guess a bit cooler than that. I've also had two separate trips to the dealer in the past month (one hour each way) and not felt uncomfortable like this either time. Also, a 90-mile trip last Thursday, temp around 80.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #5

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Reduced cooling is not caused by a fuse problem. Take the coach to an automotive AC shop and have them check the freon charge. If low, have them check for leaks.
That was my confusion. I'll do this. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:10 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
If the freon level is ok, realize that both dash and roof A/C units can only do so much. You have a lot of space to cool for a dash air on a sunny hot day. With our Vegas, we run the roof air when we are parked and until we get some road speed. Then on most days we can get by with just the dash air.

There is an excellent thread on some things you can do to increase the efficiency of your roof air, including a curtain to trap the cool air in the cockpit.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 AM   #7

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
If the freon level is ok, realize that both dash and roof A/C units can only do so much. You have a lot of space to cool for a dash air on a sunny hot day. With our Vegas, we run the roof air when we are parked and until we get some road speed. Then on most days we can get by with just the dash air.

There is an excellent thread on some things you can do to increase the efficiency of your roof air, including a curtain to trap the cool air in the cockpit.
Yeah, with that in mind, I actually plugged mine in to SP for the last two days with AC on, getting the coach cooled down before we began.

I understand that the chassis air might not be strong enough to keep the whole rig cooled, but today just felt different coming out of the vents. It just didn't seem cold, only "cooled". I wish I had one of those temperature probes so I could quantify it.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:19 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Our 2018, it freezes up. Actual ice not letting it work right. We turn it off for 10 minutes and it's good for another 40 minutes or so.
I don't even mind hitting the on off button.
We can feel a different 'texture' of the air when it's time to switch it off.
We'll get it fixed eventually.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Get a pocket thermometer at a parts store and stick it in the vent. Should read around 40-50 degrees if the freon levels are good. otherwise...get her vac'd and recharged.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Get a pocket thermometer at a parts store and stick it in the vent. Should read around 40-50 degrees if the freon levels are good. otherwise...get her vac'd and recharged.
Yeah, I was looking at them online last night. Have no idea what is "good enough".
Old 08-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
When my wife gets out the "Delta Blanket", I know the temps are just right!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:16 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Make sure you have the recirculate air on rather then pull in outside warm humid air. RecirculTe and continue to cool the inside air only. This should help if you are not doing that.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
If you have a meat thermometer in your kitchen, that works too.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:28 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
You know I noticed my dash AC dont feel as cool as it should be every often. Perhaps its freezing up on me too?

But I noticed that when my Roof AC is on the Dash AC is much cooler. No joke. I checked with the Temp gage probe in the dash vents. 50 deg vs 40 deg coming directly out of the dash Vents. What the heck. It is because the air inside the RV is cooler so when it recirculates it comes out even colder?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:40 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You know I noticed my dash AC dont feel as cool as it should be every often. Perhaps its freezing up on me too?

But I noticed that when my Roof AC is on the Dash AC is much cooler. No joke. I checked with the Temp gage probe in the dash vents. 50 deg vs 40 deg coming directly out of the dash Vents. What the heck. It is because the air inside the RV is cooler so when it recirculates it comes out even colder?
Yes, the outlet temperature is directly related to the inlet temperature. A well operating AC will have a 20 to 25 degree difference. So if your coach is 90 degrees inside you will not get 40 to 50 degrees out of the AC vents either from the dash or the roof.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Quote:
Yes, the outlet temperature is directly related to the inlet temperature. A well operating AC will have a 20 to 25 degree difference. So if your coach is 90 degrees inside you will not get 40 to 50 degrees out of the AC vents either from the dash or the roof.
Exactly. 20 degrees temperature change is about normal for both the roof or dash A/C. On a good day you might get to 25 when the exterior temps and humidity are optimum for condenser efficiency. Any higher and you risk freezing the evaporator.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #17

THOR #12231
Quote:
Well that is NOT true. I have the AC Temp probe and I can crank up my Roof AC when its hot outside ...90+ (and inside 90+) and it will drop to 45 deg output temp in minutes for the roof and like 50 or 55 for the Dash air.

Now It wont cool much more than 20 deg from the outside temp in Full sun. But in the shade I can get 25 deg diff out of it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-24-2019, 01:13 AM   #18

THOR #15054
So, I purchased a cheap thermo-probe at O'Reilly's today and after five minutes of idle time, the air was blowing at 36 degrees! Outside air temp was 72 degrees, but I was running the recirc. Inside temp of the coach was well above 72, but not sure what it was. We'll have to wait until we go back for a longer drive to see what it does after a period of time, I guess.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #19

THOR #12231
Wow 36 Deg!

I would like to hear about the temp when its 90 outside.

I think mine ranges from 45 to 50 depending if the Roof AC is on or not.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #20

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Wow 36 Deg!

I would like to hear about the temp when its 90 outside.

I think mine ranges from 45 to 50 depending if the Roof AC is on or not.
I'm wondering if ours is suffering the same as ducksface's is. 36 sounds TOO cold and I wonder if it's icing up and that's causing an issue?