Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #15186
Kitchen Drain Hose

Hi all. I have a Four Winds 31W. It has a single long slide that includes the dining table, kitchen sink, stove and closets, drawers,etc to the rear of the coach. The other day I was retracting the slide and one of the covers below the closet popped off as it retracted. The drain hose had pushed it off (See attached). The hose is stationary as the slide is extended or retracted. First thing I noticed was the black fabric that was tangle in with the hose and what appeared to be a mounting bracket attached to the hose. I extended the slide out again and saw that I could see the outside through the floor of the slide! Does anyone know how this "fabric" is supposed to lay as well as where the hose bracket attaches, if it does? I assume the fabric is there to prevent anything from the outside getting in when the slide is extended????

Thanks for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	17910   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	17911  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	17912   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	17913  

Old 06-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
I cannot help with specifics because I have an Aria, but you are correct that the fabric should enclose the drain pipe to sort of close off the opening to the outside when the slide is extended.

If yours is like mine, there are hook and loop (Velcro) strips along the edges of the fabric and one section of fabric goes above the drain pipe and the other goes below. The two sections are secured to each other with the hook and loop strips. The drain pipe needs to be free to move within the fabric as the slide is extended and retracted.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #3

THOR #15186
Thanks jtyphoid. I do see the velco strips on mine as well. However the fabric is torn also. It must have become tangled at some point? I'm hoping someone with a similar rig can take a picture of their 31W setup so I can see how it's SUPPOSED to look :-)
Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
I just noticed your comment that the drain hose is stationary as the slide is extended and retracted. That's probably not good. If yours is like mine, one end of the hose is fixed relative to the slide and the other is fixed relative to the chassis. As the slide goes out, the loop of hose opens up as the ends move away from each other. The opposite happens as the slide is retracted.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:49 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Wes: I had asked the same question about the canvas cover that was under the sink of my 17 ACE. The fabric had pulled my sink drain out of the elbow that was inserted into the grey tank and ripped the rubber seal that is over the access opening. In the search box at the top of “Maintenance and Repair” put Steamboat (my forum name) or the thread name which is Under the slide. There is a discussion about the same thing you are experiencing with the cover and drain. Hope it’s beneficial.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #6

THOR #15186
Thanks Steamboat! That helps tremendously! Good to know I'm not the only one..... how did the mod work out for you?
Old 06-09-2019, 12:37 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
It’s still a work in progress. I’ve removed the canvas, that seemed to be much too big for the opening it was supposed to cover. I rigged the elbow that goes into the grey tank so it will pivot as the slide moves instead of being rigid. Attached a rubber coupling to the lip of the pipe coming up from the tank with a clamp and slipped the other end of the elbow into the rubber coupling. That has taken a lot of the strain off of the spa tubing that is connected to the kitchen sink drain.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #15410
I have that same problem with seeing outside. I can even get my fingers out, company said no problem, it works as designed. Go figure... another design flaw