Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Exclamation Chateau Super C (F-550) Water Leak...yeah...

We have a 2015 Chateau 33SW. This past weekend when we were leaving the campsite, water started to pour out of the driver's side grab bar on the windshield pillar down into the dash. This set off every whistle and alarm and shut down the truck (F-550 chassis). Fortunately, we were able to get the wiring and connectors dried out enough to get the MH started and get home. No blown fuses or tripped breakers anywhere.

Just before the water started to come out of the handle, I could hear it flowing above my head. No idea where so much water could have come from, and no indication inside the coach of a water leak anywhere.

A quick internet search showed some folks with windshield seal issues, but I find it difficult to believe that much water got in under the overhead cap to the edge of the windshield. It was raining, but not very windy.

My question - has anyone else had this water leak problem? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Does your unit have the bunks overhead or entertainment system? With the bunks come side windows and "they" say that is the culprit. I don't see how the seal around the truck cab roof and cab-over could let water get down there. I will be interested to hear the comments of others, as I have the 35SF but no windows up top.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #3

THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Does your unit have the bunks overhead or entertainment system? With the bunks come side windows and "they" say that is the culprit. I don't see how the seal around the truck cab roof and cab-over could let water get down there. I will be interested to hear the comments of others, as I have the 35SF but no windows up top.
We do have the bunk up top, but there is no sign of water coming in around the window. Is it possible that we wouldn't be able to see any sign from the inside, but it could collect in the cap and run down into the cab?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

THOR #11130
YES! It can leak and stay inside the "wall" and puddle in the base of the cap. Not so sure how it could make it down the pillar to the grab handle (assuming this is the one, or is it the grab handle over your head?) I read a few threads on irv2 about this. One guy heard water sloshing around and drilled a small hole in the outer corner of the cap. He said water ran out forever. The simplest fix at this point would be to reseal the window(s).
Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

THOR #10499
Quote:
YES! It can leak and stay inside the "wall" and puddle in the base of the cap. Not so sure how it could make it down the pillar to the grab handle (assuming this is the one, or is it the grab handle over your head?) I read a few threads on irv2 about this. One guy heard water sloshing around and drilled a small hole in the outer corner of the cap. He said water ran out forever. The simplest fix at this point would be to reseal the window(s).
Thanks, I'll take a look at the window seal. It is the grab handle mid-way down the A-pillar, not overhead. All I will say is that if you ever hear the sloshing, get a towel immediately and catch the water as it is pouring out.

I was a mechanic in a previous life, and water leak issues are the worst to try and trace out.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Water leaks with RV's are like sand and the beach. You will not have one without the other! Let me know the end result of your findings.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Looked closely at mine today. The roof of the cab has, what looks like, an added strip of plastic between the top edge of the driver and passenger door (on the roof), leading up too where the cab over lays on the truck cab. There is also another plastic type strip that runs across the front edge of truck cab just over the windshield. This does not look like Ford factory stuff. Check this area as it's right over the window post. I never noticed this until you brought up this problem.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #8
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
I had the same problem in my 2016 SK, when i drove the mh from uneven to a level spot on the driveway. The water started pouring right down the driver side pillar. Went on the roof checked cap seam and found they never completed putting the dicore along the complete seam on the passanger side. Must have ran out, and it was probably lunch time. So if you get a chance check the roof, you may have a small crack in the dicore. It doesn't take much to let that water in and accumulate in the base of the cap. Good luck. Edk
Old 05-18-2018, 01:28 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
They don’t tell you when you buy but you really need to do roof maintenance two or three times a year. There’s no substitute for “walking” your roof on your hands and knees inspecting everything in minute detail. Fix anything suspicious with the proper RV roof sealant. Not silicone!
Old 05-18-2018, 01:52 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
I agree. I just sealed everything with eternabond last week. Amazing the change in the Dicor in 1 year up there
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #11

THOR #11130
Years ago when the little Scamp cam out, I thought "this is it". Finally a fiberglass, one-piece ball with no seams. I still love looking at them when I see one...and no one with them has ever had a leak problem.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

THOR #11130
Edk...the seam you speak of...with the 2018, they brag of a new, one-piece front cap with no seams. Mine doesn't have side windows either. Do you think the seam you speak of was eliminated?
Old 05-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #13

THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edk View Post
I had the same problem in my 2016 SK, when i drove the mh from uneven to a level spot on the driveway. The water started pouring right down the driver side pillar. Went on the roof checked cap seam and found they never completed putting the dicore along the complete seam on the passanger side. Must have ran out, and it was probably lunch time. So if you get a chance check the roof, you may have a small crack in the dicore. It doesn't take much to let that water in and accumulate in the base of the cap. Good luck. Edk
Thanks Edk. I ordered dicor and it is supposed to be here next week. I'll take a better look at the seam between the cap and the body. For now it is covered since we are getting another 2-3" of rain here this weekend.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #14

THOR #10499
Pete'sMH - I learned my lesson the hard way several years ago. Ended up removing the bed from out TT and replacing the rotted out floor underneath. Now I check the roof and all seams a couple of times a year. Not going through that hassle again.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #15

THOR #10499
Quote:
Edk...the seam you speak of...with the 2018, they brag of a new, one-piece front cap with no seams. Mine doesn't have side windows either. Do you think the seam you speak of was eliminated?
My 2015 also has a 1-piece front cap. But it has to have a seam somewhere to mate to the main body of the MH, and another at the cab of the truck. There really isn;t any way around it unless the entire body and cap is a 1-piece molded fiberglass, plastic, etc.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #16

THOR #11130
I didn't know if his was the one piece or not.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #17

Model: Chateau Super C
State: Colorado
THOR #4334
Happened to us early-on in our 2016 Chateau Super C 35SB... I went up on the roof and found some holes in the sealant where the roof and curved front over cab "fairing" (for lack of better term) met. I caulked them and have not seen the leak since... not sure if that's the actual cause or if we've just been lucky though.
V1VrV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 33SW
State: Idaho
THOR #4147
Water Leaks

I have a 2016 Four Winds 33SW and I had the entire RV resealed last year. Dicor and Eternabond tape on the roof and commercial automotive sealant on all of the seams. I believe everyone with a new RV should use the Eternabond Tape on all of the roof seams and joints. And Dicor the edges of the tape after installation. No leaks at all and quieter going down the road.

I also discovered two of the long screws securing the air conditioners loose and before securing them back down I resealed the AC units.

Water is the silent destroyer of an RV. It's rotting the structure silently and you will have no idea.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #12816
2015 33sw Cap Separation from Truck Cab

We have a 2015 33sw. The cap has an entertainment center. The Cap is loose above the top of the windshield from the truck cab about 3/8" and calk is coming out. It's moving and vibrating going down the road. No water leaking but wind noise and I'm sure it needs to be tightened up before it gets worse. Anyone had the cap do this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33SW 2015 Cap Separating from Truck Cab.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	17915  
Old 06-05-2019, 11:50 PM   #20

State: South Carolina
THOR #13982
Before you continue driving the rig, remove all the trim from the inside and inspect the screws that are holding the Ford roof to the Thor plywood cap deck.
They may be loose or fallen out completely. C- clamps work well temporarily. If you continue without any action the side seams going vertical to the roof will be damaged. Good luck.